NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Old Bethesda-Olney coach - which is probably the best non-MLS youth program in the U.S. I'm guessing he was Gideon Zelalem's old coach.

We lost an affiliate.. Would love to know more about this
I just read through their twitter account and whoever is running their account is rather bush league. All of the Facebook links don't work, so when they complaining about how NYCFC is doing something wrong, there's no backup to view and understand what it is. Scrolling farther down their feed, it sounds like there was an issue with receiving the promo code for their members to buy reduced tickets to a game because their rep has left or was unresponsive (if your rep isn't responding, there are other people in the club one can contact), and that no NYCFC players have been out to make appearances at their camp, and something about spending both $5K & $10K for banners or something and not being reimbursed. All of this seems like it is, or should be, part of a legal contract, and using twitter to vent their anger is a poor way for an organization to go, especially since there are probably a lot of other youth clubs that would like to be affiliated with NYCFC.

It's rather amusing that Woodhaven is trying to get chummy with the Kosmos (mentioned is a few tweets as being a model org) since a few years ago the Kosmos had a major issue/lawsuit filed by a Brooklyn club BW Gottschee for failure to pay about $250K in contractual sponsorship. That's why BW Gottschee (a major player developer/pipeline) is now affiliated with FC and not the Pretenders.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
We lost an affiliate.. Would love to know more about this

i kinda sort of saw this yesterday.....i mean if he is owed money fine but bring legal action not just bitch online. I know there were some issues with some affiliates i think, someone mentioned some of that a few pages back ( or in another thread). but thing is i dont know what was promised to them out side of player appearances.

just random question: are these affiliate team pay to play ? is that the norm across the US for affiliates with MLS.

i kinda sort of saw this yesterday.....i mean if he is owed money fine but bring legal action not just bitch online. I know there were some issues with some affiliates i think, someone mentioned some of that a few pages back ( or in another thread). but thing is i dont know what was promised to them out side of player appearances.

just random question: are these affiliate team pay to play ? is that the norm across the US for affiliates with MLS.
Were they actually an affiliate youth club? NYCFC's website doesn't list them. I'm wondering if this was some minor camp sponsorship or something like that.

Reactions: Kjbert
Were they actually an affiliate youth club? NYCFC's website doesn't list them. I'm wondering if this was some minor camp sponsorship or something like that.

i have no idea....maybe it was a one year deal? i dont know who these things work in MLS with affiliates.

Yeah, I've heard nothing about this group before.

Also worth mentioning, that instagram pic (linked on the tweet) has now been deleted...

Reactions: Kjbert
They were a youth partner, not an Academy affiliate.

Youth partner is a sponsorship where a club spends a certain amount of money on tickets and gets extras and freebies and a player appearance.

My local club is one and it's been a wonderful experience so not sure what happened with Woodhaven.

Whoever runs that account is clearly unhinged.

Youth partner is a sponsorship where a club spends a certain amount of money on tickets and gets extras and freebies and a player appearance.

My local club is one and it's been a wonderful experience so not sure what happened with Woodhaven.

Interesting - didn't know there was such a thing as a Youth Partner Club. Any idea of how many are on the ledger?

If spending money on tickets is part of the deal (with discounts per the tweets), then I wonder how motivated the club's parents are going to be switching from NYCFC to NYRB - since this is what their club was touting they were wanting to do? Any money saved on tickets goes out the door with the Path Train fare, so while Woodhaven may have been engaged in their own personal crusade, will its members really be on board?

should of sent mix....i mean is not like we are using him.

Reactions: adam
Gio Reyna called up to US U16 camp. Youngest player on the roster.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...-players-to-northern-california-training-camp
Also interesting on the breakdown between academies within MLS:

• Weston FC (Southwest Ranches, FL) - 2
  • Houston Dynamo - 3
  • FC Dallas - 6
  • Bethesda Olney (Mount Airy, MD) - 1
  • Modesto Ajax (Salida, CA) - 1
  • Atlanta United - 1
  • Sporting KC - 1
  • Unattached - 1 (Long Beach, CA)
  • LA Galaxy - 3
  • Colorado Rapids - 1
  • LA Premier - 2 (LAFC Academy)
  • Philadelphia Union - 1
  • RSL - 1
  • Seattle Sounders - 1
  • Chicago Fire - 1
  • IMG Academy (Savannah, GA) - 1
  • Oakwood SC (Hamden, CT) - 1
  • El Camino Real (Salinas, CA) - 1
  • La Roca FC (Orem, Utah) - 1
  • Sockers FC (Des Plaines, Il) - 1
  • NYCFC - 3
That totals to 34, they only listed 34 players but say they announced 36 to the roster, not sure where the mixup is.

Interesting to see that the roster is very tilted towards the west. Also interesting to see where homegrown claims can be made. I would assume potentially the following:

• Weston FC - Orlando SC
  • Besthesda Olney - DCU
  • Modesto Ajax - San Jose Quakes
  • Long Beach, CA Unattached - (LAFC, LAG)
  • IMG Academy - Atlanta United
  • Oakwood SC - (NYCFC, NJRB, NER)
  • El Camino Real - San Jose Quakes
  • La Roca FC - RSL
  • Sockers FC - Chicago Fire

Also interesting on the breakdown between academies within MLS:

• Weston FC (Southwest Ranches, FL) - 2
  • Houston Dynamo - 3
  • FC Dallas - 6
  • Bethesda Olney (Mount Airy, MD) - 1
  • Modesto Ajax (Salida, CA) - 1
  • Atlanta United - 1
  • Sporting KC - 1
  • Unattached - 1 (Long Beach, CA)
  • LA Galaxy - 3
  • Colorado Rapids - 1
  • LA Premier - 2 (LAFC Academy)
  • Philadelphia Union - 1
  • RSL - 1
  • Seattle Sounders - 1
  • Chicago Fire - 1
  • IMG Academy (Savannah, GA) - 1
  • Oakwood SC (Hamden, CT) - 1
  • El Camino Real (Salinas, CA) - 1
  • La Roca FC (Orem, Utah) - 1
  • Sockers FC (Des Plaines, Il) - 1
  • NYCFC - 3
That totals to 34, they only listed 34 players but say they announced 36 to the roster, not sure where the mixup is.

Interesting to see that the roster is very tilted towards the west. Also interesting to see where homegrown claims can be made. I would assume potentially the following:

• Weston FC - Orlando SC
  • Besthesda Olney - DCU
  • Modesto Ajax - San Jose Quakes
  • Long Beach, CA Unattached - (LAFC, LAG)
  • IMG Academy - Atlanta United
  • Oakwood SC - (NYCFC, NJRB, NER)
  • El Camino Real - San Jose Quakes
  • La Roca FC - RSL
  • Sockers FC - Chicago Fire
IMG for Atlanta is bullshit if allowed. They are a pay-to-play school focused on professional development. Any kid there is practically top caliber. It's also where the US residency program is based. No team should get to use them as a homegrown funnel.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
IMG for Atlanta is bullshit if allowed. They are a pay-to-play school focused on professional development. Any kid there is practically top caliber. It's also where the US residency program is based. No team should get to use them as a homegrown funnel.
I was just speculating based on locations of the other groups. I did do a basic google search to see if they were actually affiliated with any MLS team (though I didn't spend a lot of time prying into it). The only one that I was not sure of that I found affiliated was LA Premier with LAFC.

Reactions: Ulrich