NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Is this based on anything though? I mean, these kids are 9 years old, or 10. Would you expect the Mets to send someone to watch a bunch of 9-year-olds play ball in the western Queens church little league that plays up by the Con Ed fields north of Ditmars? If they happen to have a parent involved who knows someone in the Mets organization they'd be lucky to get a few bats donated and a bag of balls but I'd hardly be pissed off if they don't happen to send a scout over to watch the games.

Soccer is different than baseball, but you are correct about the silliness of youth soccer. Nonetheless, NYCFC coaches and staff at the games SAS the promise that was made and was apparently not delivered by the club.

This isn't rec soccer at Ditmars - it's an NYCFC created and run league, so it's not completely crazy.

And if you accept that MLS clubs have U12 Academy teams, you have to acknowledge that they need to know about good U11 players to put those teams together for the following year.

Soccer is different than baseball, but you are correct about the silliness of youth soccer. Nonetheless, NYCFC coaches and staff at the games SAS the promise that was made and was apparently not delivered by the club.

This isn't rec soccer at Ditmars - it's an NYCFC created and run league, so it's not completely crazy.

And if you accept that MLS clubs have U12 Academy teams, you have to acknowledge that they need to know about good U11 players to put those teams together for the following year.
Well I don't disagree with any of your points, especially if they said they'd show up. I do think it's more realistic that they just get reports from the youth team coaches, though, even more so with the younger kids. Sure, a kid could be great at age 9 but that may be that. You really have no idea if they'll improve over the years or if they other kids will be able to catch up with them as they get older. I mean, my grandson is that age and he can throw a baseball better than I ever could. That doesn't mean he'll be Dwight Gooden when he turns 18 though.

So yeah, I agree that it's not crazy at all. But I might just wait at least until they're early- to mid-teens before I did much real scouting.

Well I don't disagree with any of your points, especially if they said they'd show up. I do think it's more realistic that they just get reports from the youth team coaches, though, even more so with the younger kids. Sure, a kid could be great at age 9 but that may be that. You really have no idea if they'll improve over the years or if they other kids will be able to catch up with them as they get older. I mean, my grandson is that age and he can throw a baseball better than I ever could. That doesn't mean he'll be Dwight Gooden when he turns 18 though.

So yeah, I agree that it's not crazy at all. But I might just wait at least until they're early- to mid-teens before I did much real scouting.
My understanding of the setup (and I could be very wrong with this) is that NYCFC provides training/clinics to the Affiliate clubs' coaches so that methods can become more similar. NYCFC also provides monetary sponsorship and a marketing affiliation that the clubs can use to promote the ties. In return, the clubs inform NYCFC of promising players and recommend players to attend the monthly(?) training/tryout sessions (i.e. talent evaluation sessions). I doubt that NYCFC coaches attend weekly games - there's only so much manpower available, and the littlest of kids probably don't need to be blindly scouted by the team, unless their so much better than the rest that it's plainly obvious they're functioning ahead of their peers (much like Rooney or Owens were as schoolboys).

http://www.nycfc.com/academy/youth-affiliates

At the bottom there's a drop down that reveals a graphic on the arrangement of benefits.

I'm really spitballing now, but I also wouldn't be surprised if NYCFC gave additional sponsorship to clubs that actively send their best on to NYCFC rather than holding onto them - there has to be incentive for losing promising talent.

Better idea...Etihad University

well i was hoping the training facilities will be super awesome but if the rumors are true of the site upstate then it may not be that awesome. only two fields and who knows what else.

Highlights from the USA-Urugary game. Goal by Gio Freakin' Reyna starts at 1:15. Takes the tackle, continues play, finishes.

Reactions: Kjbert
Highlights from the USA-Urugary game. Goal by Gio Freakin' Reyna starts at 1:15. Takes the tackle, continues play, finishes.

Why don't they give the boys up-to-date uniforms?

So we are sending 2 groups called 'City Select' to CFA starting 22-1st and 1st-8th for the second group.
Each group consists of 17-18 hand selected players from our 11 affiliates.

So we are sending 2 groups called 'City Select' to CFA starting 22-1st and 1st-8th for the second group.
Each group consists of 17-18 hand selected players from our 11 affiliates.

Honestly, the most interesting part of that article (and don't get me wrong - what we're doing is great, but it's what I expected to happen anyway) was that they claimed that Long Island Rough Riders are a PDL affiliate of NYCFC. When did that happen? I don't remember anything about that every being announced, and I certainly don't recall any news of interaction between us and them. Does anyone know something that I don't?

Edit: I actually recall them being named a youth affiliate now, but still - I certainly don't remember hearing anything about them being a PDL affiliate, which is what the article explicitly claims.

Last edited:
Honestly, the most interesting part of that article (and don't get me wrong - what we're doing is great, but it's what I expected to happen anyway) was that they claimed that Long Island Rough Riders are a PDL affiliate of NYCFC. When did that happen? I don't remember anything about that every being announced, and I certainly don't recall any news of interaction between us and them. Does anyone know something that I don't?

Edit: I actually recall them being named a youth affiliate now, but still - I certainly don't remember hearing anything about them being a PDL affiliate, which is what the article explicitly claims.

they are youth affiliate but as their actual PDL affiliate is yet to be seen because we technically have no one to send over there thats in college or that age from the academy. When the first class gets to that age then im sure we can see some of them going to the Roughriders during the PDL season.

My guess with all of this is that each of the 11 affiliate clubs have made some kind of financial payment to NYCFC for this designation. Not to say they aren't great clubs, but there's little in this for NYCFC without some payment. The selection of LI RoughRiders for PDL only makes this more likely. They are the club with the most $$$ but not generally considered one of the best clubs in the area.

If this were purely on quality, surely FC Westchester (Tommy Mac is an alum) would be an affiliate. FCW uses Purchase as a training ground/home field as well.

My guess with all of this is that each of the 11 affiliate clubs have made some kind of financial payment to NYCFC for this designation. Not to say they aren't great clubs, but there's little in this for NYCFC without some payment. The selection of LI RoughRiders for PDL only makes this more likely. They are the club with the most $$$ but not generally considered one of the best clubs in the area.

If this were purely on quality, surely FC Westchester (Tommy Mac is an alum) would be an affiliate. FCW uses Purchase as a training ground/home field as well.

Used to be a Chelsea affiliate I think and now they affiliate themselves with Everton?

In other academy news, I took a quick look on the USSDA website and the U13-14s play their last game of the season on Saturday. They've currently got a record of 14 wins and 6 draws from 22 games, which is very respectable, plus have scored 4 goals for every one conceded. Really looking forward to seeing what that team can do next year when it steps up a level to (hopefully) a level where the USSDA actually produces league tables and crowns winners.