NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

IMG for Atlanta is bullshit if allowed. They are a pay-to-play school focused on professional development. Any kid there is practically top caliber. It's also where the US residency program is based. No team should get to use them as a homegrown funnel.

No one in the US Residency program can be a homegrown player. No one that is on a US Youth NT that is unaffiliated can be a homegrown player. All players in those two situations would be placed on the allocation list when they turn 18 or graduate from the program.

Playing for an affiliate club does not qualify you for homegrown status unless that club is under the direct technical control from the MLS club. Atlanta was able to do this with Georgia United in 2015 which is why they were able to sign Andrew Carlton as a HGP while we were not able to do the same with Jack Harrison.

The kid from Georgia from IMG is not affiliated with Atlanta United or Georgia United but Jackson Conway is.

Rough weekend for the Academy teams. 2 draws against Seacoast United. Our Academy teams should not have trouble with NH's best and Boston's boys that don't make the Revs.

Reactions: Kjbert
Rough weekend for the Academy teams. 2 draws against Seacoast United. Our Academy teams should not have trouble with NH's best and Boston's boys that don't make the Revs.

well the U14 is a new group so no one really knows i guess how good/ bad they are. as for the U15/16, its a year older kids still changing physically so they may go against bigger opponents.

just gotta keep track of them

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
well the U14 is a new group so no one really knows i guess how good/ bad they are. as for the U15/16, its a year older kids still changing physically so they may go against bigger opponents.

just gotta keep track of them
I wonder if the opponents were/are on the older end of the group and the match was set up with that in mind since our team was so dominant last year in the lower age bracket? Better to face adversity and learn from it than to always be the big dog and not truly be challenged.

That doesn't really explain our performance against the Revs this weekend though.

Reactions: Fantazma
I thought Alexsi Morel was a forward.
At that age, unless he's the shortest kid in the group all the positions are up for grabs and kids are interchangeable unless they are light years ahead of everybody else (Messi).

My high school was perennial final four in the state for about 8 years running, and the year after our all-state sweeper graduated, a freshman was inserted as the new sweeper. But he was no ordinary freshman, he was on the u-16 national team as a midfielder. He was also the calmest guy on the ball even as a 15yo freshman vs guys 3 years older so it was an easy fit.

At that age, unless he's the shortest kid in the group all the positions are up for grabs and kids are interchangeable unless they are light years ahead of everybody else (Messi).

My high school was perennial final four in the state for about 8 years running, and the year after our all-state sweeper graduated, a freshman was inserted as the new sweeper. But he was no ordinary freshman, he was on the u-16 national team as a midfielder. He was also the calmest guy on the ball even as a 15yo freshman vs guys 3 years older so it was an easy fit.

And his name was Franz. Franz Beckenbauer...

IMG for Atlanta is bullshit if allowed. They are a pay-to-play school focused on professional development. Any kid there is practically top caliber. It's also where the US residency program is based. No team should get to use them as a homegrown funnel.

UNLESS an MLS team plays their pre-season matches there and helps raise funds for the academy by streaming those matches on a pay per view basis though their shitty network. Then it should be allowed.

UNLESS an MLS team plays their pre-season matches there and helps raise funds for the academy by streaming those matches on a pay per view basis though their shitty network. Then it should be allowed.
NYC does have a well known history of Snowbirds flocking to Florida each year - our satellite zone of influence?