NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

And now maybe MLS gets rid of their geographical rules for academies. If clubs from anywhere else in the world can just swoop in and not play by MLS rules, why should we constrain our own teams to them?

i always thought about this....i think i read that families still move within the country to have their kid go to an MLS academy. so i dont see why there should be limits, granted i still want them to look here in city and surrounding areas...but if there is a good kid in like Iowa and nycfc want him...then go for him.

Don't underestimate how serious this problem can be. What if the Gio Reyna that isn't the son of our Sporting Director leaves?

The player is question. Yes, he was one of our best U19 players. 100% of this falls on Claudio Reyna and it must be asked how we can retain youth players.

Morel is the third best player from our Class of 2019 (James Sands is 1) and 26th best player in the country in the age group.

http://nyfc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1401587&player=28533896

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
I thought that academy wasn't opening until 2019? And what the hell, isn't playing at that academy the equivalent of saying you're friends with Donald Trump because you clerk the front desk at a Trump branded hotel? Ugh.

from little info out there, that Barca academy is legit not just having summer camps etc. however if its pay to play is another question that i have not found the answer yet.

Reactions: Kjbert
This is definitely one to keep an eye on. It's worth noting that the Barca academy has a Long Island focus - their materials all reference the size of the Nassau/Suffolk market. Plus, the player in question lives on Long Island only 20 minutes away.

So, I think this is a development to watch in respect of our academy members that are on the island, but I don't see it as a major threat for guys in the City and in Westchester/Connecticut.

I thought that academy wasn't opening until 2019? And what the hell, isn't playing at that academy the equivalent of saying you're friends with Donald Trump because you clerk the front desk at a Trump branded hotel? Ugh.
Since NYCFC was Free, let’s wait to see what that Solidarity Payment amounts to.... oh wait....

Don't underestimate how serious this problem can be. What if the Gio Reyna that isn't the son of our Sporting Director leaves?

The player is question. Yes, he was one of our best U19 players. 100% of this falls on Claudio Reyna and it must be asked how we can retain youth players.

My gut instinct is that, while you can absolutely ask questions of what Reyna is doing if another MLS team snaps up our top talent (ignoring the 75 miles radius thing and disregarding whether youth or senior), if a youth who is free to move to another academy without a transfer fee moves to Barca then there's basically nothing that can be done to stop them. If Barca is telling a player that a couple of good years in their academy could see them move to Camp Nou, there's going to be very little we can offer to hold them back.

I’m kind of with you here. I don’t think it’s derogatory any more than “sorority girl” is derogatory.

So kind of derogatory, but the “Jewish” part of it is like ancillary and not the derogatory part.

But I’m not Jewish.

ETA: it’s like “Southern Belle”, I guess.

Also, being “not a Jew” may be the only thing I share in common with OJ Simpson.

I don't think your take on this could be any worse.

It's so rarely used any more that much of the derogatory part of JAP is long forgotten (kind of like when you say someone has welshed on a bet, it isn't really bigoted towards the Welsh), but it was 100% a derogatory phrase, 100% negative stereotyping of Jewish girls and 100% not at all similar in any way to the term "sorority girl" which has no ethnic component at all. No different than to describe haggling as "jewing".

The problem to me is the context. If he was referring to a spoiled girl as jappy it would have been less bothersome than using it as a catchall term for rich people who spend their money ostentatiously and foolishly.

And while I'm at it, I don't love the black hat avatar/forum name combo, Jewish or not.

Reactions: adam
And while I'm at it, I don't love the black hat avatar/forum name combo, Jewish or not.
What?

And I think my second analogy is better. It’s just daddy’s girls spending daddy’s money. If you want to make it more you can, but I think it’s a bit unfair to impute that on the user (which wasn’t me, I was just offering an opinion).

Back to main point of this post: what?

ETA: you didn’t mean to direct that to me, did you?

Last edited:
FredMertz FredMertz - let me add that all of it is a bit rich given your username and the character and show to which it refers.

Stereotypes and domestic violence. Well done.

ETA: on second thought, I think you are at least partially being tongue in cheek here. Either that, or you’re Mertzing the hell out of it.

This is why I warn everyone upfront I just enjoy bantering and they shouldn’t take it too personally. I’ll take my own advice, as there’s nothing “blackhat” about my name or avatar.

Last edited:
I don't think your take on this could be any worse.

It's so rarely used any more that much of the derogatory part of JAP is long forgotten (kind of like when you say someone has welshed on a bet, it isn't really bigoted towards the Welsh), but it was 100% a derogatory phrase, 100% negative stereotyping of Jewish girls and 100% not at all similar in any way to the term "sorority girl" which has no ethnic component at all. No different than to describe haggling as "jewing".

The problem to me is the context. If he was referring to a spoiled girl as jappy it would have been less bothersome than using it as a catchall term for rich people who spend their money ostentatiously and foolishly.

Have you been to Long Island. That's the exact context I was thinking of. JAP for me is anyone upper middle class and spending Daddy's credit cards. I was playing nice and apologized for my comment but I feel like at this point your getting offended for the sake of getting offended. I no longer practice Shabbat or fast on Yom Kippur but being a Jew is still a big part of who I am. As you said context is key and you made assumptions without context.

Uch. I’ll get into this again without railing on the OP, who is just a kid.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan find me a similar term for a rich catholic kid. Or a rich Irish kid. Or rich Italian kid. The very phrase Jewish American Prince/Princess begets the stereotype that Jewish kids are rich and spoilt.

Let’s add the context it was used: saying that the JAPs will flock to an expensive pay to play program. And you’re doubling down on the derogatory fallacy.

But again, it was said by a kid, who is Jewish himself (even if his name/avatar is in poor taste) and I’m sure he doesn’t realize the effects of his words. Shown by how quickly he deleted his post. He seems like a good kid, who’s a bit confused. But we are adults here and I hope you can understand why this just isn’t cool. It’s like someone at a tailgate saying the first thing that comes to mind about Mississippi is “racist”. That’s a whole lot of bullshit if you ask me.

Have you been to Long Island. That's the exact context I was thinking of. JAP for me is anyone upper middle class and spending Daddy's credit cards. I was playing nice and apologized for my comment but I feel like at this point your getting offended for the sake of getting offended. I no longer practice Shabbat or fast on Yom Kippur but being a Jew is still a big part of who I am. As you said context is key and you made assumptions without context.

JAP doesn’t mean anyone who’s upper/middle class. It means Jews who are upper middle class. Just say “rich kids” or “spoilt brats” next next time and we’re all good.

Uch. I’ll get into this again without railing on the OP, who is just a kid.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan find me a similar term for a rich catholic kid. Or a rich Irish kid. Or rich Italian kid. The very phrase Jewish American Prince/Princess begets the stereotype that Jewish kids are rich and spoilt.

Let’s add the context it was used: saying that the JAPs will flock to an expensive pay to play program. And you’re doubling down on the derogatory fallacy.

But again, it was said by a kid, who is Jewish himself (even if his name/avatar is in poor taste) and I’m sure he doesn’t realize the effects of his words. Shown by how quickly he deleted his post. He seems like a good kid, who’s a bit confused. But we are adults here and I hope you can understand why this just isn’t cool. It’s like someone at a tailgate saying the first thing that comes to mind about Mississippi is “racist”. That’s a whole lot of bullshit if you ask me.
I gave you two terms. Southern Belle and sorority girl.

There are tons of shit that unfairly gets associated with both.

I’m not defending the phrase, I’m just making a point that people don’t necessarily always mean the worst. Hell, they may not even get it.

I gave you two terms. Southern Belle and sorority girl.

There are tons of shit that unfairly gets associated with both.

I’m not defending the phrase, I’m just making a point that people don’t necessarily always mean the worst. Hell, they may not even get it.

Well then I think we agree. He didn’t mean it in a bad way. But it conotes a bad thing.

And the combo of the term and jews being the ones to afford a pay to play academy is clothing the whole association as something factual. Which is the worst type of racist propaganda. Had to call it out.

Well then I think we agree. He didn’t mean it in a bad way. But it conotes a bad thing.

And the combo of the term and jews being the ones to afford a pay to play academy is clothing the whole association as something factual. Which is the worst type of racist propaganda. Had to call it out.

Use whatever term you want, rich kids flock to designer sample sales. Southern, Jewish, Black, Brown, Yellow, Purple.

I am just way more into judging behavior than words. Words always change meanings. So when people use a term with connotations they may not fully intend, I prefer a patient education rather than raging condemnation.

Not everyone understands every word the same way. And that in itself cuts both ways. Unless you’re a Mertz.

Eta: to be clear, I think we mostly do. But I don’t think it’s “the worst sort of racist propaganda”. Far from it. It’s closer to anti-dentite than anti-Semite.

Reactions: SoupInNYC