NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

You guys are creeping me out. Going to watch 13 year olds with banners and cheers or watch remotely? Have you been to a youth game? It isn't a public affair. These are little kids still. Their moms, dads and grandparents watch. There is a long way to go and lots of decision making to come for these new teens between the drive towards college or the choice for a professional career. Let these U14s learn on the pitch without a fan base. There's time enough for that in the future. I like that the Club has given themselves a little more leeway to look outside their affiliate clubs for talent. Most of the affiliates are pay to play and I have to think for most of us involved in these clubs our first choice for our kids is college, not soccer. Normal HS not IMG.

I'm going to disagree with you. Aficionados of the game and people interested in NYCFC as a whole should be able to watch the Academy games. It's the parents who should not leverage their kids and ultimately drive them to satisfy their old dreams. Should give the child the freedom to decide how he/she would like to pursue the game.

It was an awesome feeling when fans showed up to watch my team's games. I don't see anything wrong with NYCFC fans attending NYCFC academy games. In Europe they broadcast academy games on TV and the stadium has more fans than a D1 soccer game.

You guys are creeping me out. Going to watch 13 year olds with banners and cheers or watch remotely? Have you been to a youth game? It isn't a public affair. These are little kids still. Their moms, dads and grandparents watch. There is a long way to go and lots of decision making to come for these new teens between the drive towards college or the choice for a professional career. Let these U14s learn on the pitch without a fan base. There's time enough for that in the future. I like that the Club has given themselves a little more leeway to look outside their affiliate clubs for talent. Most of the affiliates are pay to play and I have to think for most of us involved in these clubs our first choice for our kids is college, not soccer. Normal HS not IMG.
If parents prefer their kids to go to college instead of playing soccer, why would they let them play for a professional team's academy?

Reactions: Jack

I don't think anyone here is showing up to random youth affiliate games waving banners and shooting off flares but we are not talking about normal kids or even a normal team. We are talking about the best of the best. If labor laws in the US were different, these kids would be getting paid.

Obviously every kid and every family has a choice, but when you sign up to play for a professional club's academy team you have to imagine that part of the reason you do that is for exposure. Playing in front of people does not hurt kids but actually makes them more confident and sets them up for future success. Kids these days are way too sheltered. Overprotection is the new normal. Instead of interacting with the world, we place them in protective bubbles, helicopter over them, and make all of their decisions for them. When you get out of the bubble, you realize it is the risk-takers that get ahead in life. Let's be honest, having some people watch your kids games is not really a risk.

The way that the developmental landscape works now, an overwhelming majority of these kids will in fact go to college and probably wind up with college scholarships thanks to their exposure with the NYCFC academy even if they don't turn out to be pro material. If playing beyond youth sports is not this kids goal, then the academy team is not for them.

First there is zero chance I ever go to a youth game unless I forced to due so because of family. People don't show up to youth games because they don't care not because they want to protect the development of kids.

Have you ever seen the little league world series? ESPN must also be super creepy. Have you ever heard of Tod Frazier? The guy was a star when he was 13 playing for Toms River, NJ Little League having thousands of people watch him play and even more on TV.

Reactions: northernburbs
People don't show up to youth games because they don't care not because they want to protect the development of kids.

I agree. Yet the highlight videos are causing me to start to care about our Academy Team. It is difficult to tell a whole lot from a couple 3 min videos, but they are looking really good so far. Relatively speaking of course, they are way better than our senior team. Unless our actual senior team is the one that plays in the U.K. They are good too.

Reactions: SayWhat44
If parents prefer their kids to go to college instead of playing soccer, why would they let them play for a professional team's academy?

I disagree. If I believe that a professional academy here in Westchester is a better program than Everton USA (which is down the road from us) or some independent program, then I am choosing the best for my son. It has nothing to do with professional soccer. It might open up doors down the road, but if it helps him grow his game, then he will have more/better options for college as well.

Look at all the neandrathals who play lacrosse at Princeton, UNC or Duke.

Reactions: TabascoDiva
I thought this was an interesting graphic:

AcademyStructure.jpg

I thought this was an interesting graphic:

AcademyStructure.jpg

where did you get this? also any word on the alleged "NYCFC2" USL team? i know it was all rumors that they wanted to get their own ASAP. but i think the affiliation with Wilmington was only for one year, unless they renew again.

Reactions: Kjbert
where did you get this? also any word on the alleged "NYCFC2" USL team? i know it was all rumors that they wanted to get their own ASAP. but i think the affiliation with Wilmington was only for one year, unless they renew again.
http://www.nycfc.com/academy

As for nycfc2, no idea. Most other MLS teams that are moving to a fully owned USL team have ready announced them or there are at least rumors.

One idea is that there will be more options for NYCFC next year in USL with clubs without affiliations. That is if they've given up on Wilmington.

My CRS is flaring up. Did we even send anyone down there to get playing time? I seem to recall watching Johansen play one match for them, but I don't remember anybody else.

My CRS is flaring up. Did we even send anyone down there to get playing time? I seem to recall watching Johansen play one match for them, but I don't remember anybody else.
We sent drafted but unsigned GK Rawls down there, he's been pretty good for them, however that whole team has been pretty bad all season. Their in last place I believe.

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
Unfortunately, they did finish last in the East. I watched a few games, but once summer rolled around they kind of fell down the "things to do" table.

Anyone got any idea what that "MCM Soccer" thing is? (The logo with the silhoetted player with white shorts next to the Hammerheads' logo).
its the NCAA... its implying kids can go from the Academy to our club, Man City, Hammerheads or college after the academy.

Reactions: Kjbert
The only place I really saw that NYCFC II rumor was on @NYCFCWATCH, but I would imagine with the trend of the top tier MLS organization (Galaxy, Sounders, Red Bulls) going the USL route that it will eventually happen. I guess it depends on where they see the USL team in the organization. If they look at it as a place to groom young homegrown players, it maybe awhile.

If they are serious about the academy, a U23 PDL team is going to be essential as well. When some of our academy players go to college, they can play on our U23 PDL team during the summer and as long as there are no pros on our team, they can keep their NCAA eligibility. It also fulfills the training requirements to keep their homegrown status.