NYCFC Academy - General Discussion

Those are issues with the affiliate league, not the Academy.

The Girls Academy will face an entirely different set of issues. The primary goal of HS girls soccer players is to leverage it into college admissions and scholarships, not the dream of playing professionally. Many of the girls clubs have incredible college contact networks developed over many years. That will be hard to duplicate for NYCFC and will keep many top girls away.

The girls academy team are not likely to be up to part with the boys because of this.

Kids will go where the instruction is best. Your point is well taken regarding college connections.

Actually, I see that this is just World Class FC rebranding their already existing girls academy. Not sure this is anything more than marketing.

Gives world class a great brand name and makes it appear that NYCFC is promoting the girls game. Unless I'm mistaken, nothing to see here.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Those are issues with the affiliate league, not the Academy.

The Girls Academy will face an entirely different set of issues. The primary goal of HS girls soccer players is to leverage it into college admissions and scholarships, not the dream of playing professionally. Many of the girls clubs have incredible college contact networks developed over many years. That will be hard to duplicate for NYCFC and will keep many top girls away.

The girls academy team are not likely to be up to part with the boys because of this.

I should have read more closely before I posted - I had assumed they were going to adopt a similar affiliate structure to the boys academy program, but it looks like they may not be, at least for this year.

Thanks for sharing your perspective. I would think the close association with the existing club would alleviate some of those concerns but that does make sense.

Reactions: Kjbert
More Likely: NWSL Expansion Team or Purchase and Rebrand Sky Blue FC?

I believe that multiple teams have approached Sky Blue and they have all been turned down - NYCFC, NJRB, Barcelona

I can't imagine why they would.

Supporting women's football with the same resources (everything but salary levels) as the men's team get is a key cornerstone of CFG operations. In both Manchester and Melbourne, the senior women's team is considered equal to the senior men's team and use the gym, canteen and physio rooms alongside the men. Indeed, the women's teams are often invited to take part in joint training sessions with the men's teams. IIRC, Melbourne City even went so far as to make their women's changing rooms etc identical to the men's so that the men's team couldn't claim to be more important than the women.

A NWSL club is coming, it's just a question of which season it will launch in. If it gets delayed it will only be because they want the women to play inside NYC boundaries too, and can't find a stadium for them (see Stadium thread).

Supporting women's football with the same resources (everything but salary levels) as the men's team get is a key cornerstone of CFG operations. In both Manchester and Melbourne, the senior women's team is considered equal to the senior men's team and use the gym, canteen and physio rooms alongside the men. Indeed, the women's teams are often invited to take part in joint training sessions with the men's teams. IIRC, Melbourne City even went so far as to make their women's changing rooms etc identical to the men's so that the men's team couldn't claim to be more important than the women.

A NWSL club is coming, it's just a question of which season it will launch in. If it gets delayed it will only be because they want the women to play inside NYC boundaries too, and can't find a stadium for them (see Stadium thread).

I would bet you with a 2019 season over/under, but not sure what we'd do if the league folds before then.

(see Stadium thread).

giphy.gif

I would bet you with a 2019 season over/under, but not sure what we'd do if the league folds before then.

OK, true, I can't deny the sounds coming out of NWSL aren't positive right now and there's a chance that the league will tank before CFG can get in, but expect them to be at the forefront of any future plans for a new league by that point (it's not like there wouldn't be a new league founded shortly afterwards, let's be honest).

This is definitely leading towards an NWSL team in the future (or whatever the equivalent is.) Both Man City and Melbourne have professional women's sides, and it's something the City group as a whole seems very committed too.

It's pretty exciting to think that in the future we may end up with NYCFC, NYCFC II, and a NWSL team to root for. Especially considering that we had nothing just a few years ago.

Depending on where the team is located and if I have a daughter, I would attend the NWSL games. Women's soccer is probably the only women's team sport I can watch.