Nycfc Coaching Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kreis actually deserves to start the year as manager, but with a short leash. His only excuse is the turmoil of of the DPs. Let's see if he can rally the team to start 2016. If he doesn't, let him go over the summer.

If he has already lost the locker room, then unfortunately he needs to go now n

I think Kreis actually deserves to start the year as manager, but with a short leash. His only excuse is the turmoil of of the DPs. Let's see if he can rally the team to start 2016. If he doesn't, let him go over the summer.

If he has already lost the locker room, then unfortunately he needs to go now n
Perspective: NYCFC is in it's "first" year! And unlike most of the new MLS entries, it had to start from scratch (no USL players, nothing)…first picking up a few players on option (some who were coming off injuries), the organization signing two DPs…Villa (Mr. Shake-my-head and make faces as if he is the only person doing the right things on the field) and supposedly 37 year old Frank Lampart (who's contract was with MCFC not NYCFC) who started his first game for NYCFC in August 2015? Then, they forced Kries to pick up Pirlo (36/37 years old) at mid-season and force the team to change it's on-field formation from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Pirlo's inability to cover the defensive role in the middle of the field. Is this an issue…if you were putting a new team together, you pick personnel that fit and understand how to play the game your coaching staff what's to forge. In Kreis perspective, his beloved 4-4-2 floating diamond which worked so well in RSL…key players needed: (1) a smart, stud central defender, (2) a work-horse, in-your-face, connector like Kyle Beckerman in front of him, (3) a great attacking midfielder and (4) a big forward who can hold the ball, pass the ball effectively and finally score. By bringing in the 3 DPs was any of this accomplished? I have a feeling the front office created this mess and Kries was stuck trying to utilize what he had as field players, adjust their formation and finally expected to "win" even under with these conditions. You can blame Kries but I believe there are others in upper management who should be viewed as responsible for the 2015 season.

Reactions: MagnusPax
What in the name of sweet zombie Jesus are you talking about? As a European, can you explain how my "relationship to authority" differs to people of pure American blood? Are there any other nationalities you'd like to see barred from the job? Heard a lot about those Mexicans lately.

I'd like to tell you to go fuck yourself, but I am going to try and do something you didn't and show some restraint. I am not denigrating any nationality, be it Mexican, European or otherwise, and I greatly resent that implication. I do think you are greatly overreacting.

There has been much discussion that American soccer players react differently to coaching authority than Europeans. For example, Americans often push back and ask for an explanation for instructions rather than trusting the coaches. It's not better or worse, it's just a cultural difference. This has been given as a reason why American players sometimes struggle in European leagues. As Jurgen Klinsmann put it "you're not a people who like to be told what to do." If a European wants to coach in MLS, he is going to have to understand the culture and be able to manage in that environment. Some can do it clearly, but not everyone is going to be able to adjust.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
*Shrugs* Silly season starting early. Trying to break the malaise. I consider myself a big fan of this team but have to admit my interest has largely gone into hibernate with the elimination from play off contention combined with so much Euro soccer and other Americans sports going on. Could just be a rumor going around to keep people remotely interested for the next month or two.

Reactions: S1ARK5
I'd like to tell you to go fuck yourself, but I am going to try and do something you didn't and show some restraint. I am not denigrating any nationality, be it Mexican, European or otherwise, and I greatly resent that implication. I do think you are greatly overreacting.

There has been much discussion that American soccer players react differently to coaching authority than Europeans. For example, Americans often push back and ask for an explanation for instructions rather than trusting the coaches. It's not better or worse, it's just a cultural difference. This has been given as a reason why American players sometimes struggle in European leagues. As Jurgen Klinsmann put it "you're not a people who like to be told what to do." If a European wants to coach in MLS, he is going to have to understand the culture and be able to manage in that environment. Some can do it clearly, but not everyone is going to be able to adjust.

Here's a quote from Klinsmann saying the precise opposite of what you've just said: http://www.latimes.com/sports/soccer/la-sp-soccer-baxter-20150906-story.html

In his words, the problem with U.S. soccer: "There's too much emphasis on telling people what to do"

If you're going to make gross generalizations about how different nationalities interact, at least get your facts straight. I don't deal in cliches, so come back to me when you've found some evidence to back up your ideas. I'll be waiting with plenty of evidence of my own for why barring coaches of certain nationalities is ignorant at best, harmful at worst.

If you're going to make gross generalizations about how different nationalities interact, at least get your facts straight. I don't deal in cliches, so come back to me when you've found some evidence to back up your ideas. I'll be waiting with plenty of evidence of my own for why barring coaches of certain nationalities is ignorant at best, harmful at worst.

upload_2015-10-21_22-55-14.png

So says Grant Wahl just now.

He says he has heard from multiple people connected to both NYC and MC that Kreis is in serious danger of losing his job. If/when that occurs, PV will step into his place. PV is apparently extremely hungry for a first team top slot.

Continuing the rumor, apparently Chicago is making the most noise to then pick up Kreis.
I just saw Wahl's blurb on this and needless to say I think this would be an awful move. I mean Patrick V. in MLS coaching?????really? I hope this isn't true. If this happens my worst fears would be coming true with this club and management style. With all of the turnover from CEO's to marketing president, etc and now with Kreis, the European Redbull mindset will officially have taken over. This is exactly the reason I got fed up with supporting the redbulls, the constant turnover in coaches and management and players was too much to handle every single year.

Needless to say I think this would be a huge mistake. If Kreis wants to leave then that is one thing, but for CFG to really have their hands in on everything like this does not bode well.

The fact that Reyna has kept his figurehead role leads me to believe that he didn't have much to do with those decisions. I don't think they would lightly decide to dump Kreis. If, as some have indicated, that decision has been made, it screams to me that what I and others have suspected and feared was indeed the case, i.e., Kreis had lost the locker room or at least the brass perceived him to have.
I don't think it was about losing the locker room. I think the relationship with CFG and Kreis soured real bad when we signed Pirlo. Kreis clearly did not want him and was overruled by CFG and ever since then there was friction.

I don't think it was about losing the locker room. I think the relationship with CFG and Kreis soured real bad when we signed Pirlo. Kreis clearly did not want him and was overruled by CFG and ever since then there was friction.
Seems probable.

Perspective: NYCFC is in it's "first" year! And unlike most of the new MLS entries, it had to start from scratch (no USL players, nothing)…first picking up a few players on option (some who were coming off injuries), the organization signing two DPs…Villa (Mr. Shake-my-head and make faces as if he is the only person doing the right things on the field) and supposedly 37 year old Frank Lampart (who's contract was with MCFC not NYCFC) who started his first game for NYCFC in August 2015? Then, they forced Kries to pick up Pirlo (36/37 years old) at mid-season and force the team to change it's on-field formation from a 4-4-2 to a 4-2-3-1 to accommodate Pirlo's inability to cover the defensive role in the middle of the field. Is this an issue…if you were putting a new team together, you pick personnel that fit and understand how to play the game your coaching staff what's to forge. In Kreis perspective, his beloved 4-4-2 floating diamond which worked so well in RSL…key players needed: (1) a smart, stud central defender, (2) a work-horse, in-your-face, connector like Kyle Beckerman in front of him, (3) a great attacking midfielder and (4) a big forward who can hold the ball, pass the ball effectively and finally score. By bringing in the 3 DPs was any of this accomplished? I have a feeling the front office created this mess and Kries was stuck trying to utilize what he had as field players, adjust their formation and finally expected to "win" even under with these conditions. You can blame Kries but I believe there are others in upper management who should be viewed as responsible for the 2015 season.
Can I buy an indention?

I'm going to publicly predict Kreis gets another year. I could be wrong, but that's my prediction.
I'm going to give it 0.001% chance he's the NYCFC manager at the end of next season, ie, one year from now. I give it less than 50% chance he starts next season. There's too much smoke billowing out from too many camps to think it's totally bullshit.

Like all of the people telling us we were crazy when many of us knew lampard was not showing up. They (CFG) don't tell us much outright, but the moves have been pretty well given away well before hand. Even Pirlo.

At least now we know one of us will be right. We (you and I) will be .500 as a team. We're better than Kreis, and we can't even halve the points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul
Yes if Barcelona made it clear that building a winning team at NYCFC was secondary to making sure NYCFC is useful for Barcelona.
Hmm to play devil's advocate, would a losing, shitty NYCFC team be useful for Man City? Would four Angelinos or Faceys not be exciting af? Would the responsibility of raising some of the world's best talent in one of the world's truly great cities not be exciting for some top older pros? And for locally based youth, wouldn't that be a draw too?

As others have said, I think the feeder club thing may be a temporary strategy to get things started. My interpretation of CFG's strategy is that they have a ton of money and an ambition to dominate football but that there are hard constraints on what you can do with that money. Unlike other industries you can't just expand your workforce so easily when you want to scale. You can only put 11 players on the pitch and satisfy x great players in a squad rotation and then there's FFP / restrictions on your spending-to-revenue ratio. So what do you do with your money? You put your eggs in multiple baskets. Who knows, maybe the MLS is a huge league one day, why not get in on the ground floor? It could be the A League (though I doubt it). Maybe there's a universe in the distant future where it makes more business sense for Man City to be a feeder club for NYCFC. Basically, you exploit the affordances that having multiple set ups in non-competing leagues gives you.

Then again, I'm not really a business person, perhaps just an optimist.

Last edited:
Seems probable.

Actually doing some more thinking on Kreis and CFG, I believe Kreis had a WTF did I get myself into moment with the whole Lampard debacle. If you remember he was adamant that Lampard would be hear at the start of the MLS season and then you had Pellegrini saying no way he was stay with Man City, in other words who the hell is Kreis to say anything about Lampard.

I get the feeling that's when it all started. Then getting Pirlo shoved down his throat when he clearly did not want him and didn't think he was right for this team, and when Pirlo was solely to blame against MTL for the lackadaisical corner defending, Kreis made the quote about wanting guys that want to be here etc etc....its all making sense. I think the real losers are the fans to be honest.

Trust me, after sitting through the redbull BS for many many years, that is the last thing we want as a fan base, constant turnover in players and coaches. I am just so disappointed with all of this and how this has turned out, probably our worst fears, certainly mine, when I jumped all in with this team.

I see the obvious and horrifying mistakes Kreis is making, biggest one and only one that matters; that he plays one or two players that SUCK and needed to be replaced by some of the younger players.
But I would give him another shot . A fresh start, with one or two new mid level players and the rhythm of the team that has been playing lately ....

Reactions: S1ARK5 and BxLio91
In all this Kreis discussion I'd like to point out that the Mets are going to the World Series. I mention this because for all of last year and the year before the Mets were terrible, and even for some of this year people were calling for manager Terry Collins' head. Last year the Mets were indeed bad, finishing in third place, 17 games behind. And yet they kept Collins, even though fans were howling about it. Except that now, somehow, the Mets have won. They did this in several ways. One was to invest five years in building the what is now perhaps the best pitching staff in baseball. Another was to make a few key acquisitions in key areas to turn the club into an offense powerhouse (Cuddyer, Uribe, and Cespedes). And lastly they had some good homegrown talent that's really come through.

So actually, the Mets were never really a bad team, and Collins was never a terrible manager. What happened was careful development mixed with a good deal of patience, and now they're possibly a great team.

So for everyone calling for Kreis' head, remember that this is only our first year, we have some good players but definitely need some more, and we actually came decently close to making the playoffs with a first-year team that for half a season was to some degree other teams' castoffs. If we can somehow get two rock solid defenders for next season we can actually be a really good team as we already have some midfield and offensive talent.

This team wasn't stupendously good this year, but with some key additions for next year we could be. And last year Terry Collins was the worst manager ever, and now his team is going to the World Series. All I'm asking is that you consider that for a moment before you post something calling for Kreis to be carried off and tossed into the Harlem River.

Status
Not open for further replies.