NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2017

that fucking 7-0 game is like herpes

And then we beat them 2-0 the next time it was held at Yankee Stadium. Local news is turrible.

And they also included the Open Cup game which is not apart of official MLS stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: LostAnvil

Wow. Cannizzaro. I think the sport is getting a little more respect when we have him covering it, and it's a good sign he seemed to enjoy the atmosphere and the match. I almost feel like we are a legitimate major sports franchise in NYC. Almost. I want the back page for a regular season match, just one, but I want it over baseball, basketball, football or hockey (or some other random sport they throw on there from time to time).

The spacing of NYC FC drove me nuts.

The Times does N.Y.C.F.C. which is even more annoying. Here are all the possible ways to write our the club...

NYCFC
N.Y.C.F.C
NYC FC
N.Y.C. F.C.
New York City Football Club
New York City FC
New York City F.C.

And there are probably even more annoying ones like

NYC Football Club
N.Y.C. Football Club

Here is the most important thing that applies to us (aside from the stadium bit where, come on people, they aren't going to be saying anything of importance in this on the record) is Glick says we're going to sign big name stars but what is heard on the ground is we're going to pursue Moralez type signings, cheaper DPs (relative to Villa and Pirlo) and slightly younger.

Here is the most important thing that applies to us (aside from the stadium bit where, come on people, they aren't going to be saying anything of importance in this on the record) is Glick says we're going to sign big name stars but what is heard on the ground is we're going to pursue Moralez type signings, cheaper DPs (relative to Villa and Pirlo) and slightly younger.

I personally think that if they can replicate what they got with Villa - i.e. still in his prime and a guy who is exceptionally self motivated - then they do that. I think the best mix is one big name veteran, one Maxi type, and one younger DP.

Missed this one from June. A great writeup on the Captain.

NYCFC's David Villa is (still) living up to the hype

https://www.wsj.com/articles/AP8403bc17578843b4ab8ea46b767d4852

The best part is at the end.

Vieira said Villa has that elusive quality that makes a player — from any sport — special: He makes those around him better. But probably the best compliment came from Wright-Phillips, who earlier this week dismissed comparisons to Villa as a rivalry storyline. Wright-Phillips won the league's Golden Boot with 24 goals.

"He's done things in the game of football across the world that I would never do and I'm not capable of," Wright-Phillips said. "Obviously, while we're in the same league people are going to try and compare. But if you just think about it a little you know there's probably no comparison."​

Missed this one from June. A great writeup on the Captain.

NYCFC's David Villa is (still) living up to the hype

https://www.wsj.com/articles/AP8403bc17578843b4ab8ea46b767d4852

The best part is at the end.

Vieira said Villa has that elusive quality that makes a player — from any sport — special: He makes those around him better. But probably the best compliment came from Wright-Phillips, who earlier this week dismissed comparisons to Villa as a rivalry storyline. Wright-Phillips won the league's Golden Boot with 24 goals.

"He's done things in the game of football across the world that I would never do and I'm not capable of," Wright-Phillips said. "Obviously, while we're in the same league people are going to try and compare. But if you just think about it a little you know there's probably no comparison."​
Wanna post all of it for those of us who aren't subscribed to WSJ? Please?

Wanna post all of it for those of us who aren't subscribed to WSJ? Please?
That can get NYCFC_Dan in trouble from a legal standpoint.

In this case it is an AP wire story.Just paste the article title into a search engine and you'll find several options to read it without subscription.

For true WSJ proprietary content, here's a trick that often works that does not require copying copyrighted content from behind a paywall. The WSJ often allows you to read an article, even without a subscription, if you find it via search as opposed to a direct link like the one here. So again, if it is a real WSJ article, paste the title into search and click on the WSJ result that you get. It does not always work, but it does often enough.

Last edited:
In this case it is an AP wire story.Just paste the article title into a search engine and you'll find several options to read it without subscription.

For true WSJ proprietary content, here's a trick that often works that does not require copying copyrighted content from behind a paywall. The WSJ often allosw you to read an article, even without a subscription, if you find it via search as opposed to a direct link like the one here. So again, if it is a real WSJ article, paste the title into search and click on the WSJ result that you get. It does not always work, but it does often enough.
Thanks for the help, not interested in getting the Forums in any trouble

Guardian gonna Guardian.
hmm...I actually usually like The Guardian. The whole story of that paper is really interesting.

This particular story was sort of shit, as was the pointless comment that should have been cut.