NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

That league sounds as half-assed as MLS can be. The league is willing to pay big bucks to lure players but if a player produces while on contract the league won't reward in kind? That's the big F-you to contracted players.

You need to look at it from the A-League's angle. MLS is in a position where it has a tradition of signing big name stars and is now coming to the point of realising that they often don't live up to billing and may not be the optimal use of DP money. The A-League is a step behind that - they simply can't attract the big-name players in the first place, and most marquee slots go on either mediocre nobodies from Europe or players with a history of playing in Australia, who are only marquees to persuade them to hang around (which I guess is what will happen to Fornaroli next year).

From our position yes, the clever money is on signing a rising star as DP and building the team around them, but the A-League can't get either rising stars or big-name players so it's doing what MLS did when Beckham first came over - desperately trying to throw ever larger amounts of money at players in the hope of persuading just one or two real celebrity players to join for even just a single season.

They don't even need it to raise the standard of the league, at this stage it's more about the fact that most clubs get less than 15,000 fans at a game and some clubs barely get half of that, so they really need the stars in the first place just to attract the fans to the games and raise the profile of the league nationally. Once they've got to the stage where the crowds are bigger and the league is more attractive, then they can worry about learning the lessons of MLS by altering their focus.

Seriously, where does that league rate? I've seen folks on other boards say it's pretty much a joke. I can't imagine they are far off, but they may be assuming just as I would be.
Its not one of the biggest leagues but it is growing. We've had players such as Alessandro Del Piero and Robbie Fowler play and have had David Villa in the league four 4 games at sister club Melbourne City before the first season of NYCFC

Reactions: Kjbert
Its not one of the biggest leagues but it is growing. We've had players such as Alessandro Del Piero and Robbie Fowler play and have had David Villa in the league four 4 games at sister club Melbourne City before the first season of NYCFC
I was intending to discuss the Indian league. Sorry if I was unclear.

Reactions: Kjbert
He would be a perfect replacement at CM for the departure of Lampard/Pirlo.

Mix, McNamara, Mooy, Poku, Bravo (if retained after loan expires) would be a very nice group. Reinvest the DP opening in another player for the front line. Maybe in a CB too if we want to be bold.

The word is he is wanting to try in Europe again. If he does intend to leave Australia, I hope CFG try and persuade him to go to New York. Would give the team that creative presence it lacks at the moment.

Even though we have decent strikers I heard that Bruno Fornaroli from sister club Melbourne City FC might sign. Scored 25 goals in 29 games.

Bruno has done fantastic as Melbourne just like Mooy. It would be a shame to see either leave Melbourne. However, if they want to go the club won't be able to stop them, therefore we should try and bring them to New York.

Seriously, where does that league rate? I've seen folks on other boards say it's pretty much a joke. I can't imagine they are far off, but they may be assuming just as I would be.

Midas there are some quality players in the A League. I don't want to be controversial but I rate Aaron Mooy a step above Mix in all areas.

Bruno is an enigma and definitely has quality, I am not so sure if he would replicate what he as done in the A League in the MLS. It isn't because of his quality, more his style of play. However, he would be great competition for Villa.

You need to look at it from the A-League's angle. MLS is in a position where it has a tradition of signing big name stars and is now coming to the point of realising that they often don't live up to billing and may not be the optimal use of DP money. The A-League is a step behind that - they simply can't attract the big-name players in the first place, and most marquee slots go on either mediocre nobodies from Europe or players with a history of playing in Australia, who are only marquees to persuade them to hang around (which I guess is what will happen to Fornaroli next year).

From our position yes, the clever money is on signing a rising star as DP and building the team around them, but the A-League can't get either rising stars or big-name players so it's doing what MLS did when Beckham first came over - desperately trying to throw ever larger amounts of money at players in the hope of persuading just one or two real celebrity players to join for even just a single season.

They don't even need it to raise the standard of the league, at this stage it's more about the fact that most clubs get less than 15,000 fans at a game and some clubs barely get half of that, so they really need the stars in the first place just to attract the fans to the games and raise the profile of the league nationally. Once they've got to the stage where the crowds are bigger and the league is more attractive, then they can worry about learning the lessons of MLS by altering their focus.

Falastur most teams get 8,000 or more. The problem with the A League is that it has only 10 teams, so you don't have to be great to get into the play offs by making the top 6.

Also they only allow 2 Marquee (DP for MLS) players and up to this season one had to be Australian. Then only 5 visa players are allowed. The salary cap is so low it is a joke.

This means they can't keep hold of decent Australian players, never mind attracting better foreign players.

The rumour is that Bruno wants 2.4m AUS Dollars and has been offered around 700, 000

Falastur most teams get 8,000 or more. The problem with the A League is that it has only 10 teams, so you don't have to be great to get into the play offs by making the top 6.

Yeah I know, but four of ten averaged less than 10,000 a game and most of the teams have some games where they pull only 5-6k. Only Melbourne Victory average over 20,000. In fact only they and Sydney FC managed to get a single game over 20,000. My point is that there's definitely room for improved attendance in the A-League - if every team could double its figures (I know that's pie in the sky, but the numbers required would only push them up to MLS level) then the clubs would have far more money to play with and the salary cap would go up as a result.

Yeah I know, but four of ten averaged less than 10,000 a game and most of the teams have some games where they pull only 5-6k. Only Melbourne Victory average over 20,000. In fact only they and Sydney FC managed to get a single game over 20,000. My point is that there's definitely room for improved attendance in the A-League - if every team could double its figures (I know that's pie in the sky, but the numbers required would only push them up to MLS level) then the clubs would have far more money to play with and the salary cap would go up as a result.

The only way that is going to happen if they can entice better players. They won't because the FFA can't see the bigger picture. They need to allow more Marquee and Visa players and look to bring another two teams in to give more competition. This is why Melbourne City are struggling to hold on to their better players.

The only way that is going to happen if they can entice better players. They won't because the FFA can't see the bigger picture. They need to allow more Marquee and Visa players and look to bring another two teams in to give more competition. This is why Melbourne City are struggling to hold on to their better players.

FFA can see the bigger picture - hence the marquee fund etc. The problem is that half of the A-League franchises would go bankrupt if they were to try to pursue a more costly, marquee-heavy strategy, so FFA gets nervous and resists rule changes which would increase costs by more than nominal amounts. The other thing is that they're unwilling to agree to anything which disrupts financial parity, so the league has to run at the financial pace of the poorest competitor.

FFA can see the bigger picture - hence the marquee fund etc. The problem is that half of the A-League franchises would go bankrupt if they were to try to pursue a more costly, marquee-heavy strategy, so FFA gets nervous and resists rule changes which would increase costs by more than nominal amounts. The other thing is that they're unwilling to agree to anything which disrupts financial parity, so the league has to run at the financial pace of the poorest competitor.

I will have to disagree with you regarding the FFA. They prevented Lampard being loaned to Melbourne before he agreed to join City. Won't allow loan moves for younger players from City. Are not willing to put any money from the Marquee fund towards keeping Fornaroli. Then moan because Melbourne haven't signed a so called big name player.

We have seen in New York that so called big name players can have a negative impact on the field when signed for financial reasons.

I believe you have to speculate to accumulate and I can only see the A League standing still unless they do allow teams to speculate,

I will have to disagree with you regarding the FFA. They prevented Lampard being loaned to Melbourne before he agreed to join City. Won't allow loan moves for younger players from City. Are not willing to put any money from the Marquee fund towards keeping Fornaroli. Then moan because Melbourne haven't signed a so called big name player.

There are two sides to it.

Yes, FFA stopped Lampard from going to Melbourne because they were afraid Melbourne City would wipe the floor with the rest of the league. However, since then - in fact in the last few weeks - they've been in the press for having literally begged CFG to use their funds to bring in some world class players, so they've completely changed their tone on that one. The only reason they haven't repealed the Lampard rule is because they've pretty much got rid of guest players so the rule no longer can be invoked anyway.

On the other hand, you're misinterpreting the reasoning behind them not being willing to use the marquee fund on Fornaroli. The whole point of the marquee fund is to raise the profile of the league. Fornaroli is a fantastic player, but he's not raising the profile of the league because he's a complete unknown outside of A-League fans and this thread. Don't forget he's not even been capped by his country, and he's 28 so it's not going to happen now. As said before, what the A-League needs to increase attendances are big-name, world-renowned players to get the fans excited. In Villa's four appearances he doubled Melbourne City's attendances, and the league. If they let their fund be used by clubs who just want to keep their best non-marquee players then yes a couple of teams may improve slightly in quality but the league won't build up in stature at all, and it'll be stuck in the same rut it always has been.

There are two sides to it.

Yes, FFA stopped Lampard from going to Melbourne because they were afraid Melbourne City would wipe the floor with the rest of the league. However, since then - in fact in the last few weeks - they've been in the press for having literally begged CFG to use their funds to bring in some world class players, so they've completely changed their tone on that one. The only reason they haven't repealed the Lampard rule is because they've pretty much got rid of guest players so the rule no longer can be invoked anyway.

On the other hand, you're misinterpreting the reasoning behind them not being willing to use the marquee fund on Fornaroli. The whole point of the marquee fund is to raise the profile of the league. Fornaroli is a fantastic player, but he's not raising the profile of the league because he's a complete unknown outside of A-League fans and this thread. Don't forget he's not even been capped by his country, and he's 28 so it's not going to happen now. As said before, what the A-League needs to increase attendances are big-name, world-renowned players to get the fans excited. In Villa's four appearances he doubled Melbourne City's attendances, and the league. If they let their fund be used by clubs who just want to keep their best non-marquee players then yes a couple of teams may improve slightly in quality but the league won't build up in stature at all, and it'll be stuck in the same rut it always has been.

The guest player is still there but it hasn't been used by Melbourne. I don't know if others have used it. To be honest the Villa stint was a complete debacle. Yes they had big crowds but there was no impact on the field. The way it ended after just 4 games was a complete joke.

The decision to block Lampard was very short sighted and one player will never win a team the league. This season the team has broken all goal scoring records but still fell short of winning the league.

Of course Bruno was unknown before he came. However, he lit up the league. They now have a player that can be marketed who has had success in the country. For me that is much better than trying to get someone in who is known to the non football public, but just after a last payday with no interest of the club and league at heart.

They had had players like Del Pierro and it hasn't significantly grown the league. The best way to do that is having players in a successful national team who play in the domestic league. Something that the existing rules will also prevent happening.

I guess we won't agree on this Falastur so best to leave it for this forum.

If we can find a way to rid ourselves of Lamps, either by convincing him to retire or just buying him out, there are two players Reyna should go after and beg CFG to splash the cash:

Gavin Harris: forward that is deadly in the box and also good on crosses. Played for both Newcastle & Real Madrid among others. Downside is he'd need an international spot and he likes an active nightlife. He'd wind up being the perfect complement to Villa on the field and at the bar scene.

Santiago Munez: attacking midfielder with a cheeky stepover dribbling move, great cross, and serious free kick ability, but not super physical and is sometimes limited by his asthma. Also played for Newcastle and Real Madrid. Has a green card so that's a plus. Sometimes has confidence problems that can lead to slumps but when he's focused, he'd be the leader of our midfield.

Reactions: SayWhat44
If we can find a way to rid ourselves of Lamps, either by convincing him to retire or just buying him out, there are two players Reyna should go after and beg CFG to splash the cash:

Gavin Harris: forward that is deadly in the box and also good on crosses. Played for both Newcastle & Real Madrid among others. Downside is he'd need an international spot and he likes an active nightlife. He'd wind up being the perfect complement to Villa on the field and at the bar scene.

Santiago Munez: attacking midfielder with a cheeky stepover dribbling move, great cross, and serious free kick ability, but not super physical and is sometimes limited by his asthma. Also played for Newcastle and Real Madrid. Has a green card so that's a plus. Sometimes has confidence problems that can lead to slumps but when he's focused, he'd be the leader of our midfield.

If we're delving into the realm of fiction, we might as well signed Pablo Sanchez.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Ulrich