NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

The Copa usually has 12 teams. They expanded it to 16 for the Centennial. But since CONMEBOL has only 10 teams they always invite 2 extras so we could go on occasion. The USA -- at least according to Wikipedia, is often invited and usually declines because of conflicts with MLS. "The United States was invited to every tournament between 1997 and 2007 but frequently turned down the invitation due to scheduling conflicts with Major League Soccer. However, on 30 October 2006, the US Soccer Federation accepted the invitation to participate in the 2007 tournament, ending a 12-year absence."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América
Maybe if we had accepted during that period we would not have been invited the subsequent tournaments. Can't say. This was our first appearance since 2007 and I don't know if we were invited in between and the wiki doesn't say.

Wiki lacks a broader insite into managing a national team. The Copa and gold cup usually run one after another in the calendar. If we were to send our best team to the Copa, we couldn't ask them to also compete the Gold Cup, which we do need our best team to qualify for Confedirations Cup. True, over the last decade only one GC determined the CC participant, but I'm sure USSF saw a long run (and possible win) in the GC leading in the the World Cup as a better opportunity for the team to gel and gain confidence.

Sorry if this is getting tangential.

Wiki lacks a broader insite into managing a national team. The Copa and gold cup usually run one after another in the calendar. If we were to send our best team to the Copa, we couldn't ask them to also compete the Gold Cup, which we do need our best team to qualify for Confedirations Cup. True, over the last decade only one GC determined the CC participant, but I'm sure USSF saw a long run (and possible win) in the GC leading in the the World Cup as a better opportunity for the team to gel and gain confidence.

Sorry if this is getting tangential.
I'd rather play the better competition of the Copa with the Ateam and send a Bteam to the Gold Cup. Beating Cuba or St Kits doesn't have the same Moxy, even if 7-0, as topping Paraguay 1-0. Add to it that Brooks is making a name for himself that wouldn't happen against teams at the Gold Cup, and others are proving or reinforcing their abilities too (Guzan, Wood, Yedlin, Cameron) and this has been a huge success for the team/players.

Reactions: adam
I'd rather play the better competition of the Copa with the Ateam and send a Bteam to the Gold Cup. Beating Cuba or St Kits doesn't have the same Moxy, even if 7-0, as topping Paraguay 1-0. Add to it that Brooks is making a name for himself that wouldn't happen against teams at the Gold Cup, and others are proving or reinforcing their abilities too (Guzan, Wood, Yedlin, Cameron) and this has been a huge success for the team/players.

100% agree. But what about our Bteam costing us Confediration Cup qualification? Also if you're knocked out of Copa group stage, that's only 3 matches played, vs maybe 6 in GC to gel. There's pluses and minuses for each argument. I love to knock the higher ups, but as our program was growing, their decision to skip Copa may have been correct. And now that winning just one GC gets you a shot at CC, then we should at least compete in 1 Copa every cycle of they don't combine permantly. I feel like we've arrived as a top 20 team in the world. We need to start to do the things that make the top 5-10 consistently great, like a major tournament besides the WC to compete in.

The Copa America and the Gold Cup don't always happen the same year. In fact they both seem to happen kind of at whim.
Since 1989 the Gold Cup has been every other year, except when they happened in 1993-1996, and in 2002-2003. But that's a model of consistency compared to the Copa.
Here are the number of years between one and the next Copa since 1975:
4-4-4-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-3-3-4-1

Make sense of that. My point is the Cup and the Copa don't have to overlap all the time.

There's a legitimate conversation to be had about who has been the bigger flop here - Mix or Lampard.

With Lampard, there is a larger story, but when he has actually played, he has performed. With Mix, he has underwhelmed and couldn't break into a lineup ahead of Mikey Lopez for 3 months.

There's a legitimate conversation to be had about who has been the bigger flop here - Mix or Lampard.

With Lampard, there is a larger story, but when he has actually played, he has performed. With Mix, he has underwhelmed and couldn't break into a lineup ahead of Mikey Lopez for 3 months.
I guess it's arguable, but considering the hype for Lampard coming in and the actual contribution, I don't think there's really an argument against Lampard. He's been called the biggest flop in MLS history (bar maybe Rafa Marquez) by non-NYCFC sources.

I guess it's arguable, but considering the hype for Lampard coming in and the actual contribution, I don't think there's really an argument against Lampard. He's been called the biggest flop in MLS history (bar maybe Rafa Marquez) by non-NYCFC sources.

Agreed. But based on on the field production only, it's a conversation.

Reactions: adam
Maybe I was right a Brooks to MCFC and eventually to NYCFC :)

"On Monday, a rumor surfaced that Manchester City could be interested in Brooks' services. Before the tournament, Hertha Berlin Sporting Director Michael Preetz said he was disappointed that Brooks was going to spend his off-season playing in Copa America Centenario, adding that he risked his spot on the team in doing so.

The tune is far different now—almost comically so. In a BZ report out of Germany, there is now speculation that Brooks could command a transfer of €20 million after his performance this summer. All of a sudden, Preetz isn’t objecting to Brooks playing for the U.S. national team anymore."

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/u-s-argentina-preview-fast-starts-and-finding-fullbacks

Maybe I was right a Brooks to MCFC and eventually to NYCFC :)

"On Monday, a rumor surfaced that Manchester City could be interested in Brooks' services. Before the tournament, Hertha Berlin Sporting Director Michael Preetz said he was disappointed that Brooks was going to spend his off-season playing in Copa America Centenario, adding that he risked his spot on the team in doing so.

The tune is far different now—almost comically so. In a BZ report out of Germany, there is now speculation that Brooks could command a transfer of €20 million after his performance this summer. All of a sudden, Preetz isn’t objecting to Brooks playing for the U.S. national team anymore."

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/u-s-argentina-preview-fast-starts-and-finding-fullbacks

I think Brooks will stay at Hertha. He was born and raised in Berlin, and he turned down Bayern twice already. I don't think Man City is a good move for him - stay at Hertha for another year or two and develop as a star there, then maybe make to move to a Champions League team (likely Bayern) for his prime. Maybe post-2018 World Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Considering Spurs just signed Victor Wanyama, I'd imagine Nabil Bentaleb and Ryan Mason are both currently surplus to requirements and either one or both will not see much time next season. Either would be a fairly decent signing, especially given their ages. (Mason is 25, Bentaleb is 21)

"Whoa; are you stupid? Why would they come to MLS?"

Because both of them aren't likely to see much (if any) playing time, they're both coming off injuries so top teams are less likely to be willing to take a chance on them, and because New York is a pretty appealing place to live?

"Ok fine, lets say the do want to come here, how do we sign them? We don't have any DP or International spots available!"

DP spot is the easiest to work around, a Nigel De Jong type of contract, a low non-DP salary this year where upon staying healthy and playing a certain number of games this season they'd become a DP next year and occupy Lampard or Pirlo's spot as a DP and in midfield.

"Ok what about the international spot?"

No reason we can't trade for another spot and allocation money to help pay the contract down. We'd be getting another midfielder, so we'd be able to part with a midfielder or two, Mix and Poku likely having the biggest value to other teams.

Neither player would be a big name, but they'd be in line with what Vieira and Reyna want, building a team through the middle.

Can we just go out and sign them? No, but we'd be foolish if we didn't look to sign players like this.

Reactions: adam and SpicyRoll
I think Brooks will stay at Hertha. He was born and raised in Berlin, and he turned down Bayern twice already. I don't think Man City is a good move for him - stay at Hertha for another year or two and develop as a star there, then maybe make to move to a Champions League team (likely Bayern) for his prime. Maybe post-2018 World Cup.

I can't see him coming to Manchester. MCFC have too many defenders already, with Stones due to come in, Denayer coming back from loan and it looking like at most only one of their remaining three CBs will be sold. There's no room for another 23-year old CB in the squad.

I'm a big supporter of MLS attracting the best talent in CONCACAF. With that said, wouldn't mind us making a move for Nazon from Haiti after his performance these past couple years.

Reactions: JayH and gbservis