NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Wasn't saying it wasn't true. Their FO is on record that they took a wait/see approach. That could have honestly been their approach naively thinking they had the right pieces to be semi-competitive. It also could have just been cover for your hypothesis. If they don't invest heavily this window, it almost for certain means they've thrown in the towel for 2017. If they go all-in, then it could still be that they're trying to add the right pieces after a 19+ game test scenario, but whether they believe a turn-around can take place this year, or they're practicing tactics for next year won't ever really be answered.

And at the end of the day, hoarding money doesn't mean much unless you have a knowledgeable FO to scout players/spend it, a savvy coach to integrate the players into the right system (round peg/round hole) and finding players that want to buy into the team. Chicago hoarded assets for many years before turning the corner. D.C. hasnt shown they can spend their piggy bank on nice things. It's hard to say if MNUFC will ever implement it well, and I hope not, because playing them is great for the spectators.
I'm not sure I'd be too harsh on MNUFC for doing a one year experiment. I mean, look at us. We had Kreis for our first year (not even counting our first year players) and then totally changed things around and became a good team. Based on us I'm not going to be too upset about the Loons' first year even if they come in last.

I'm not sure I'd be too harsh on MNUFC for doing a one year experiment. I mean, look at us. We had Kreis for our first year (not even counting our first year players) and then totally changed things around and became a good team. Based on us I'm not going to be too upset about the Loons' first year even if they come in last.
Since I seem to have inadvertently started this, let me be clear. I never intended to criticize Minnesota. The fact that they had so little time to prepare is a very real obstacle. My point was simply that you can see the difference in how Atlanta in Minnesota spent even their non-DP money. That Minnesota has an excuse that it had little time to prepare is accurate but also irrelevant to the point I was making.
PS: not annoyed that anyone misunderstood; that just happens.

Since I seem to have inadvertently started this, let me be clear. I never intended to criticize Minnesota. The fact that they had so little time to prepare is a very real obstacle. My point was simply that you can see the difference in how Atlanta in Minnesota spent even their non-DP money. That Minnesota has an excuse that it had little time to prepare is accurate but also irrelevant to the point I was making.
Ah, got it. No prob.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I wouldn't care if my team came in last in their inaugural season if they made a real effort to win but the cards were stacked against them (i.e. Bad available resources). That's how I feel about Kreis/Co - CFG wanted to win, but it was a perfect storm of Kreis being a horrible talent evaluator/coach & the various drafts, save for a few valid talents like Larin, were lacking even ball boys.... whatever, I wrote it off.

I would be absolutely livid if the plan was to tank the first year and save up league currency so that the second year would have better results. The anger would be two fold because the team duped me into thinking they gave a shit and also because my STH money was going towards watching a team that never was going to get the resources it needed.

Reactions: Kjbert
Either way, still supports your support of the theory I put forth. More money, more options (problems).

Reactions: mgarbowski
The last few spots don't count, but they have to be under a certain threshold to qualify. Hypothetically speaking, we may have only 27 players, but 6 of them are on the developmental squad and don't count, therefore we only have 21 "real" players and number 22 isn't on the roster; #22 would make more than the developmental guys and his salary is spread among one or more others.

I also have a vague recollection that if you keep your roster below a certain size, you get some extra GAM. Too lazy to look it up after a long day, however.

I also have a vague recollection that if you keep your roster below a certain size, you get some extra GAM. Too lazy to look it up after a long day, however.
Not sure about squad size, perhaps, but fewer than 3 DPs gets you part of the paid luxury tax from the big spending teams.

I wouldn't care if my team came in last in their inaugural season if they made a real effort to win but the cards were stacked against them (i.e. Bad available resources). That's how I feel about Kreis/Co - CFG wanted to win, but it was a perfect storm of Kreis being a horrible talent evaluator/coach & the various drafts, save for a few valid talents like Larin, were lacking even ball boys.... whatever, I wrote it off.

I would be absolutely livid if the plan was to tank the first year and save up league currency so that the second year would have better results. The anger would be two fold because the team duped me into thinking they gave a shit and also because my STH money was going towards watching a team that never was going to get the resources it needed.
I see what you're saying, but I'm not certain I would call waiting to see where to strategically sign your DPs and spend TAM/GAM as necessarily "tanking".

I do think there's an obvious correlation, but think it's smarter in the long-term to do so. Especially in MNUFC's case where they need to evaluate how their NASL players translate to MLS level. Figure that out, then plug the gaps

Minnesota has some players. Ramirez would start for most of MLS.

I see what you're saying, but I'm not certain I would call waiting to see where to strategically sign your DPs and spend TAM/GAM as necessarily "tanking".

I do think there's an obvious correlation, but think it's smarter in the long-term to do so. Especially in MNUFC's case where they need to evaluate how their NASL players translate to MLS level. Figure that out, then plug the gaps
You seem to be only responding to my follow up post so there's more context to what I said earlier in the thread. I'm not saying they are definitely tanking the season, it's a big IF, and the evidence will be how they approach this next transfer window. The wait and see tactic could work if they're really aggressive with their next few moves, but if they aren't, then it lends credibility to the notion they were never serious about this season.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Not sure about squad size, perhaps, but fewer than 3 DPs gets you part of the paid luxury tax from the big spending teams.

So I looked it up this morning. I did not see what I had recalled (maybe changed from a prior year, maybe just wrong).

I did see that if you only have 18 or 19 senior players instead of the usual 20, the league will impute a minimum salary charge for the 1-2 minimum players.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/league/official-rules/mls-roster-rules-and-regulations

Reactions: Kjbert
My posts from last year on that are somewhere here. I didn't try it this year. All I could manage was subtract the cap number from our overall salary (taking into account DP charges, GA, and HG). But we don't know what salaries might be amortized from what's listed. Nor do we know how much GAM/TAM was given when joining the league and each year after.

Also, salaries are one of like 10 factors that go into a player's budget charge (e.g. transfer costs, bonuses, perks such as housing, etc.) and MLS reserves the right to adjust a player's budget charge whenever they want (e.g. to help a team get a big name player, or to work around a unique situation.)

It's still opaque af.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Note for S sbrylski - I am 99% confident housing assistance does not count towards the Cap charge

Everything you need to know about why it's generally pointless to try to track an MLS team's salary budget:

Section 10.6 Team Salary Budget:

(a) For each year covered by this Agreement, MLS agrees that the per-Team Salary Budget shall be no less than the following:
2015: $3,490,000
2016: $3,660,000
2017: $3,845,000
2018: $4,035,000
2019: $4,240,000​

(b) Calculation of a Player’s Salary Budget Charge: The League will determine, in its discretion, a Player’s Salary Budget Charge according to the following formula, provided, however, that MLS retains discretion to lower a Player’s Salary Budget Charge in individual cases:
1. taking the Player’s annualized base salary, multiplying it by 1.04;
2. adding to it any signing bonus paid or payable to the Player on a cash flow basis;
3. adding to it any readily achievable individual bonuses in the Player’s contract (calculated largely, but not solely, by reference to the Player’s performance in the previous year). For Players new to the League or who were injured the previous year, readily achievable bonuses shall be reasonably determined by MLS after consulting with the Union;
4. adding to it any housing and car allowance in the Player’s contract;
5. adding to it any loyalty bonus;
6. adding to it any additional compensation (including any roster bonus);
7. adding any marketing bonus (including footwear/gloves);
8. adding to it acquisition cost for loan/transfer;
9. adding to it cost of processing a visa or green card;
10. adding to it any fee payable to an agent or representative; and
11. adding to it any other costs involved as reasonably determined by MLS after consulting with the Union.​

CBA Section 10.6

Thank you. Lots of discretion being used by MLS in the case of NYCFC and LA Galaxy then. I know for a fact that some of our guys in year 1 had a housing allowance that was not part of their budget charge.

This is when MLS is a joke. I agree with the need for some sort of a Cap in this league, but there are so many f'ing exceptions.

Thank you. Lots of discretion being used by MLS in the case of NYCFC and LA Galaxy then. I know for a fact that some of our guys in year 1 had a housing allowance that was not part of their budget charge.

This is when MLS is a joke. I agree with the need for some sort of a Cap in this league, but there are so many f'ing exceptions.

Interesting. I always used the CBA language to demonstrate that MLS can do whatever they want, but for obvious reasons never really had proof they use it. I would not be surprised at all if the internal policy is to "look the other way" on reasonable perks like an average apartment, but use the 10.6(b) provisions to catch any team trying to use bonuses as salary cap workarounds (e.g. buying a player a lambo and paying their $25,000 per month mortgage).

Interesting. I always used the CBA language to demonstrate that MLS can do whatever they want, but for obvious reasons never really had proof they use it. I would not be surprised at all if the internal policy is to "look the other way" on reasonable perks like an average apartment, but use the 10.6(b) provisions to catch any team trying to use bonuses as salary cap workarounds (e.g. buying a player a lambo and paying their $25,000 per month mortgage).
There's definitely a cost-of-living discrepancy between certain cities that creates an imbalance if the rules are enforced to the letter. The Players union would do well to also look the other way since what's good for a player one day could change the next with a trade.

I know you and I are in agreement on this one, as we've discussed it many times elsewhere. Tons of players all over the league getting benefits that don't show up in any of the "official" salary statements.

I've heard a few interviews with former players on pods and such, and in so many words, they tend to imply that a lot of the budget charge and MLSPU released salaries are total bs relative to what most players actually get.

I don't have a problem with it. Think of it this way, if the benefits aren't documented and their treatment isn't codified, teams have more discretion as to when and for whom they utilize non-cash comp. That fits nicely with MLS 's cost control strategy.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich