NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

If Villa today broke his leg and had to play with crutches at 35 years of age, it'd be the same as having Rooney in his prime without Ronaldo and tevez. Rooney was never great I'm surprised people now are just slowly starting to figure that out.
I'm afraid that you lose all credibility here by suggesting that Tevez had any bearing on Rooney's overall productivity at Manchester United.

If Villa today broke his leg and had to play with crutches at 35 years of age, it'd be the same as having Rooney in his prime without Ronaldo and tevez. Rooney was never great I'm surprised people now are just slowly starting to figure that out.

I don't mean for this to come off as rude, but no duh that Rooney is gonna perform better with better players around him. The same way that Villa performed better with Messi. The same way Villa performed better with 7 other Valencia players making world cup rosters.

Rooney scored 27 league goals in the 2011-2012 season without the players you mentioned. In fact, overall, he didn't really have much forward help at all, and his mids were an aging way over the hill Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, and honestly a very weak overall midfield.

I hate Manchester United. I don't like Wayne Rooney. But let's take off the sky blue glasses (or I have a feeling for some, the red and yellow). David Villa has had a better overall career than Wayne Rooney. At each of their peaks, they were at a similar, if not equal level.

are you implying Tevez wasnt a good player?
It has nothing to do with Tevez' quality. It is just not a valid basis to make his (or her) point. Tevez played with Rooney for two seasons, a blip of Rooney's career at MU, and in fact filled in for him several games because Rooney was injured. And Rooney's best seasons were certainly not those he played with Tevez (he scored twice as many goals in several seasons). I was not even (and I won't) get into the debate as to whether or not Rooney was/is underappreciated, I was simply suggesting that I discount an opinion based upon a suggestion that the influence of Tevez is relevant.

I don't mean for this to come off as rude, but no duh that Rooney is gonna perform better with better players around him. The same way that Villa performed better with Messi. The same way Villa performed better with 7 other Valencia players making world cup rosters.

Rooney scored 27 league goals in the 2011-2012 season without the players you mentioned. In fact, overall, he didn't really have much forward help at all, and his mids were an aging way over the hill Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes, and honestly a very weak overall midfield.

I hate Manchester United. I don't like Wayne Rooney. But let's take off the sky blue glasses (or I have a feeling for some, the red and yellow). David Villa has had a better overall career than Wayne Rooney. At each of their peaks, they were at a similar, if not equal level.
Not even close to equal. Also, for the dude laughing at the suggestion that tevez played any part in rooneys career, his second best year came playing alongside Ronaldo and tevez (notice my previous post named both of them, but okay). Also, thanks to those two he has his only CL medal. But yeah no he totally would've won one without them... villa is a much better player. In his prime he could destroy madrid regardless of with Valencia or Barca. Rooney never could be expected to do that. You'd have to be insane to think Rooney and villa are in the same breath. Not far apart, but enough that there is a difference for sure

Reactions: Joseph Bianco

I get what he's saying though. Villa was undoubtedly a better overall player in his Valencia/Spain days, but he has proven that he doesn't need world class players to be a star. Rooney under the same microscope does not seem to have that same capacity, or at least needs to prove that he does have it.

if he doesnt have much help at all and doesn't produce anything at all for his team, that would tell you what? did he have any impact?
does he make the team around him better? or does he not make a difference at all?
if he doesnt make the team better and/or put up points, he's not being very useful is he?
Villa, everywhere he has went regardless of the team around him, Valencia being the perfect example, has been a difference maker whether as a striker or winger.
Villa for Spain was more important than Rooney for England.
Rooney in his best years was overshadowed by players like Ronaldo.
You can say spain would be fine without him, but he still contributed loads to their world cup win than many other players who did get their chances to play/start.
Rooney could barely make it out of the group or contributed to a huge let down of the english NT.

So while I can agree Rooney has done tremendous things throughout his career, scoring wonder goals and such.... to tell me they are at the same level is quite ridiculous.

15636197.jpg

Also, for the dude laughing at the suggestion that tevez played any part in rooneys career, his second best year came playing alongside Ronaldo and tevez (notice my previous post named both of them, but okay). Also, thanks to those two he has his only CL medal.
Not true - his second best year (2009-10) Tevez was already gone and playing for City I believe. I do agree that Rooney owes a lot to those two for the medal (and Terry and Anelka). I also would take an in prime Villa over and in prime Rooney without hesitation, and think that Villa should be in the discussion as one of the most successful players in history. Rooney is probably a tier down as far as talent in his prime, although he was tremendously good and dangerous, and when he was on and taking over games he was pretty close to the level Villa. And he would likely score bushels of goals in MLS for a couple of seasons.

Not true - his second best year (2009-10) Tevez was already gone and playing for City I believe. I do agree that Rooney owes a lot to those two for the medal (and Terry and Anelka). I also would take an in prime Villa over and in prime Rooney without hesitation, and think that Villa should be in the discussion as one of the most successful players in history. Rooney is probably a tier down as far as talent in his prime, although he was tremendously good and dangerous, and when he was on and taking over games he was pretty close to the level Villa. And he would likely score bushels of goals in MLS for a couple of seasons.
Rooney is more likely to be a Gerrard in the MLS than a Keane or Villa and that's coming from a United fan. He'll shoot a curler in every now and again, maybe get goal of the week, but will not be the catalyst that brings you the cup or to the playoffs. He'd be worth a non DP contract though for sure. And if by as close to the level of Villa you mean by how close say Diego Milito was to Sergio Aguero or Gonzalo Higuain, or Benzema was to Theirry Henry, then maybe.

Rooney is more likely to be a Gerrard in the MLS than a Keane or Villa and that's coming from a United fan. He'll shoot a curler in every now and again, maybe get goal of the week, but will not be the catalyst that brings you the cup or to the playoffs. He'd be worth a non DP contract though for sure. And if by as close to the level of Villa you mean by how close say Diego Milito was to Sergio Aguero or Gonzalo Higuain, or Benzema was to Theirry Henry, then maybe.

milito is the second best player on that list

I suspect that he would lack the commitment and work ethic of Villa so that would be a detriment. But he still has the rifle and the talent to feast on poor MLS defending and goaltending. He would be more impactful than Gerrard. With that said, I would still pass on him for various reasons, and he doesn't fit our prospective DP profile in any event.

this went from "villa and rooney are at the same level"
to "rooney wouldnt do half as much as villa does in the mls, he'd be average but nothing special because of poor defending and goalkeeping"

good talk