NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Not our usual blue print, but Paul Pogba joining this summer would be fun with all of the talk of Juve dumping him.
Burgess Meredith Meme GIF

Reactions: mgarbowski and JayH
"I'll play in 'THE' MLS."

Pass!

I'm sympathetic to foreign speakers who have trouble not putting "the" or its equivalent in front of all nouns or even sometimes proper names. I'm less understanding of native speakers. Yes, we say "The" NBA, NHL, and NFL. But we also say MLB with no definite article, and the reason is simple - it follows the form of the full name:

You are watching:
  • the National Football League
  • the National Basketball Association
  • the National Hockey League
  • Major League Baseball
  • Major League Soccer
It shouldn't be hard for native speakers, yet it's often wrong.
But seriously, 30 years old isn't bad. But would the mothership shell out for NYCFC for a Lukaku type?
I'm fine with the age, but his playing time is down the last 2 years and I don't know if it's fitness, injuries or quality.

Reactions: adam and SoupInNYC
No thanks.

He says that and follows it up with opinions to end salary cap and other stuff. Clearly doesn't realize those are the things that have helped MLS grow in its young history. American fandom is not like European.

He obviously wouldn't come without a huge paycheck. So clearly he's going to la or Toronto

No thanks.

He says that and follows it up with opinions to end salary cap and other stuff. Clearly doesn't realize those are the things that have helped MLS grow in its young history. American fandom is not like European.

He obviously wouldn't come without a huge paycheck. So clearly he's going to la or Toronto
Lukaku > Own Goal

Reactions: Kjbert and Gene
injured player that takes up cap/dp space < Own Goal
We aren’t going to sign him, but you would really pass on signing him if he wanted to join this summer on a two year contract? I wouldn’t want him on my European team and I generally have had enough of him, but if he stays healthy-ish, he would likely feast on MLS. He’s just over a season off from scoring 24 and playing a complete season in Italy. Again, I generally don’t love him, and he’s broken down over the last year, but I would take him very quickly.

We aren’t going to sign him, but you would really pass on signing him if he wanted to join this summer on a two year contract? I wouldn’t want him on my European team and I generally have had enough of him, but if he stays healthy-ish, he would likely feast on MLS. He’s just over a season off from scoring 24 and playing a complete season in Italy. Again, I generally don’t love him, and he’s broken down over the last year, but I would take him very quickly.
He said himself we should take players at their prime

So why should we take him?

Reactions: Kjbert
Wouldn't be my first choice, but if he came I wouldn't complain. I also just don't really like the guy.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
He’s 29. And probably valued over 40 million. That’s prime enough for me.
But that doesn’t fit our model. Because, while he might give us goals now, in 2 years he has no transfer value. We want players who will grow into their goals over 24 months and then sell on.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
But that doesn’t fit our model. Because, while he might give us goals now, in 2 years he has no transfer value. We want players who will grow into their goals over 24 months and then sell on.
Agree 100 percent, which is why I noted above it wont happen. I do agree with that biz model, especially with our network and scouting advantages, it makes sense and I’m in full support. Though I do wish there was some balance with the occasional spend for the sake of winning.