NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Antoine Griezmann is the same age as when Villa came over. Anyway we could bring him in 2027 for the stadium as a starting striker. I think he would be fun to watch in this league
He is going to LAFC I am pretty sure if he comes here, very few stars want to be anywhere other than la or Miami

He is going to LAFC I am pretty sure if he comes here, very few stars want to be anywhere other than la or Miami

Some of these stars would also consider NY but NYCFC and Redbull are not even attempting to be in the mix for any of these guys right now.

Reactions: Gene
with what seems to be our current transfer strategy - he's a very unlikely target.
Agree. Hopefully that strategy changes. We haven't brought in an age 30+ DP since Maxi, the closest to a veteran was Thaigo. I don't think every DP needs to be a veteran (like in our first years), but there is value to having at least one of those on the roster.

Some of these stars would also consider NY but NYCFC and Redbull are not even attempting to be in the mix for any of these guys right now.
These stars will consider New York City - but not if they have to play in New Jersey or in mutliple baseball stadiums.

it is fun to imagine what the roster could be with a permanent stadium. That requires, though, a permanent stadium.

These stars will consider New York City - but not if they have to play in New Jersey or in mutliple baseball stadiums.

it is fun to imagine what the roster could be with a permanent stadium. That requires, though, a permanent stadium.

History says otherwise. Villa, Lampard, and Pirlo were all fine playing in a baseball stadium. I honestly doubt they care what stadium they play in, they care about getting paid and living in a city that is interesting to them. Henry is arguably a bigger name than any of these guys going to LA right now and he had no issues playing in NJ. I doubt big-name European players have a clue that RB arena is in NJ, all that matters is that they can live in Manhattan and easily get to training and games.

I do think LA and Miami are more enticing than New York to international superstars, but New York is only a half-step (or less) below, and very much in the running if we want those players.

Last edited:
History says otherwise. Villa, Lampard, and Pirlo were all fine playing in a baseball stadium. I honestly doubt they care what stadium they play in, they care about getting paid and living in a city that is interesting to them. Henry is arguably a bigger name than any of these guys going to LA right now and he had no issues playing in NJ. I doubt big-name European players have a clue that RB arena is in NJ, all that matters is that they can live in Manhattan and easily get to training and games.
Fair point, but I would distinguish between Villa and Lampard/Pirlo. Villa was post-prime, but worked incredibly hard (and saw NY as a marketing opportunity). Lampard and Pirlo were done, regardless of any success they had in brief flashes.

I would still maintain that to get the late prime 'big' players the stadium would be key and/or necessary.

Henry was quite open about how much he loved it here. He could play a match and then cross the Hudson and go out in the city without anyone bothering him or knowing who he was. He said he actively sold MLS to other Europeans on that basis.