NYCFC Season Discussion 2024: The Definition of NYCFC is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over and Getting the Same Result

One young player that Cushing does not seem to be making any headway with, as far as development, is Jovan. Don't know if a language barrier is part of it or what. Maybe it is too early to say. Mitja as well. Malachi came in and immediately blew everyone's socks off but I'm not ready to credit Cushing with that, other than making him a starter pretty quickly over other more expensive players.

Jovan looks out of shape and disinterested. I don't think you can pin either of those things on Cushing. The outfield did a great preview piece on Jovan, I recommend reading the whole thing (All He Does Is Score Goals) but the part that stands out to me is:

"The only aspect where Mijatović falls short as a striker is in stretching the defense. He rarely runs in behind the defense, instead opting to react to balls played into the channel rather than making movements to proactively dictate the pass. This deficiency can build stretches where he loses influence on the game, especially when service into his feet is disrupted and his off-ball movement fails to capitalize on or create space. Just a reminder, he’s only 18 freaking years old, so this aspect of his game will likely season with more experience and development."

Jovan doesn't fit our style. He doesn't press and he's not active in his off-ball movement. It would be interesting to know how the decision-makers who decided Jovan was our guy expected Cushing to help make him successful. Did they:

1. Expect Nick to teach Jovan to be more active in his movement, totally change the way he plays and develop him into playing the City way?
2. Expect Nick to change our system to maximize Jovans talents and try to build a system that fits the way Jovan naturally plays?
3. Not think about fit at all and just send him here because CFG wanted Jovan and our roster was the place they chose to put him?

All of those are pretty big asks for a coach. Jovan is an enigma for a number of reasons, I think you could more easily question Nick's development skills by pointing to guys like Ojeda and Fernandez. Both are very talented, both came in with skill sets that directly match our style of play and both nearly a season in still look hesitant and lost at times and struggle to link up and execute the offense.

I think there is a lot to be said for making the regular season successful and fun for fans, and NYCFC is in a second straight year of not providing very much fun above the baseline. I think that is mostly David Lee's fault, but I'm not very confident in Cushing either. And as for how fans remember you, I think you get credit if you win a trophy, but otherwise fans prefer winning a lot of regular season games over some decent and even unexpected tournament runs that don't end with hardware.
This is exactly the same reason why Dortmund parted ways with Terzic at the end of last season. He did great in cup runs but with the league he was mediocre and played with absolutely dreadful tactics. Even with the UCL runs and the cup win, it was still the regular season performance that led many to wish for something different. I can't see it being any different with Cushing and our fanbase.

Ronny got he most he could out of the team. I think Patrick and Dome did, too. I don't think Nick has that in his tool chest.
I think all of those teams for all of those coaches are roughly similar. Also, we're in a tournament league rather than a table league. So the difference between Ronny and Nick is that Ronny in a sense did this year's incredible spring run at just the right time in the tournament. Nick's team is about the same, but we're not (currently) in the form we were in the spring. But we're, as always, a good solid upper-middle table team, and if Nick can pull it all together at the right time we're good enough to make a good cup run. If we were a top of the table team I'd be more confident, but we at least have a chance to go deep in the cup tournament and not look silly doing it. Hopefully LOL

Some related stats.

If every game were just the first half, NYC would have 42 points and a +8 GD and sit 6th in the Shield. But RB would be first.
If every game were just the second half, NYC would have 32 points and a -4 GD and sit 24th in the Shield. RB would be ninth.
Oddly the first half result is just 2 more points better than reality but a 8-spot jump on the table. So many of the best teams are second half teams, because they have a productive bench.

Break the game into 15 minute segments and NYC's scoring goes, in order,
First Half 8-5, 4-3, 9-5
Second 4-9, 3-6, 13-9.
The second half is rough but the final 15 minute segment is very solid. Limited to the final 15 minutes (which is really 15 plus added time), NYC has both gained and lost 5 points.

Besides NYC, only Houston and LAFC have positive GD in each first half segment.
Cincinnati, Colorado, Crew, Miami and the Galaxy all have perfect second half segments.
NYCFC has scored first in 16 of its games, conceded first in 11, with one 0-0 draw.

The 16 first scores is behind only Houston with 17 and tied with the Galaxy for second.

NYC has scored in both halves 9 times, tied for spots 12th through 17th. IOW, mediocre.

But the biggest problem is probably not timing but that NYC has scored more than 2 goals just 3 times. 21 teams have more than that.

Seeing us not in there is shocking, though I guess it's just because we're never in a winning position to begin with... lol

...However seeing "Philadelphia Union - 22" is one of the best feelings in a long time lol.
I think it's mostly because of what's happened lately so the dropping points from winning positions feels like much more of a thing, just doesn't necessarily apply to the whole season.