NYCFC sign John Stertzer

Meh, I really don't think he was ever penciled in for 30 appearances or anything.

The Herrera signing is his direct competition, but even then, I think Sands is the #4 CM/DM behind Pirlo, Ring, and probably Herrera. The #4 CM will definitely get some playing time. I doubt John Stertzer is more than deep depth.

Sterzer & Sands for the USOC? Save an intl spot.

Meh, I really don't think he was ever penciled in for 30 appearances or anything.

The Herrera signing is his direct competition, but even then, I think Sands is the #4 CM/DM behind Pirlo, Ring, and probably Herrera. The #4 CM will definitely get some playing time. I doubt John Stertzer is more than deep depth.
Yeah, I mainly meant so that he can get some serious playing time somewhere. I won't pretend to know what would be better for him from a development standpoint, so I don't think I would have an issue with not signing him and allowing him to play vs signing him and he practices with the first team.

I just do know quite a few people were penciling him in the 18, and I'm not sure he's there yet based on our current roster (barring injuries and form)

Reactions: Kjbert
Also, based on the above, I'm gonna guess we don't sign Sands this year. Or maybe we do and send him to San Antonio. I'm also assuming we give Awuah a contract. I doubt we trade allocation money away to grab him to not have him in our longer-term plans. I also thought he has looked somewhat decent.
I don't think San Antonio is an option. Seems far better to sign him and keep him here at 16. It would run counter to most wisdom to send a kid that young out on loan. Better to let him go play academy games from time to time.

Does Sands have access to a Euro passport of any sort? If so, they pretty much have to sign him. But I think they should anyway. I think it would be good for everyone involved.

Agree. If I was his parent, I would never let him sign a deal where he's shipped off to San Antonio on a loan spell. I would tell him to continue plying his trade at IMG.

Much more likely you see an Awuah and Brown go out on loan. Maybe even Shelton. Those guys need minutes. It's the only way they will improve.

Agree. If I was his parent, I would never let him sign a deal where he's shipped off to San Antonio on a loan spell. I would tell him to continue plying his trade at IMG.

Much more likely you see an Awuah and Brown go out on loan. Maybe even Shelton. Those guys need minutes. It's the only way they will improve.
Yeah, being a pro at 16 would be hard enough while finishing school/GED - best for him to be in the comfort of his parents' home, not in a random city across he country.

I don't think San Antonio is an option. Seems far better to sign him and keep him here at 16. It would run counter to most wisdom to send a kid that young out on loan. Better to let him go play academy games from time to time.

Does Sands have access to a Euro passport of any sort? If so, they pretty much have to sign him. But I think they should anyway. I think it would be good for everyone involved.

I'm wondering because I don't know the rules -- if we don't sign him now, do we risk losing him to another team? Do we get any kind of rights because he's in our academy?

I guess the question is, what's the risk in not signing him this year while he plays another year in the academy?

I'm wondering because I don't know the rules -- if we don't sign him now, do we risk losing him to another team? Do we get any kind of rights because he's in our academy?

I guess the question is, what's the risk in not signing him this year while he plays another year in the academy?
At this point, meaning today but not forever, no other team in MLS can sign him since he's in our Academy. A foreign team could sign him and we're out of luck (not sure if he has a foreign passport). If he doesn't accept our HG offer, he can enter the draft once eligible, but doing that is kinda counter-productive after going through our Academy and being offered a contract.

At this point, meaning today but not forever, no other team in MLS can sign him since he's in our Academy. A foreign team could sign him and we're out of luck (not sure if he has a foreign passport). If he doesn't accept our HG offer, he can enter the draft once eligible, but doing that is kinda counter-productive after going through our Academy and being offered a contract.

How long before another MLS team could swoop in and grab him?

And we can't sign him and then send him to the academy, right? If we sign him, he either has to spend the year on the first team or go to San Antonio?

How long before another MLS team could swoop in and grab him?

And we can't sign him and then send him to the academy, right? If we sign him, he either has to spend the year on the first team or go to San Antonio?
Another team would have to grab him via the draft and he's not eligible for a few years still.

No, once signed he's a pro player and can't be housed on the u16 team - he's graduated from the academy with the paying contract.

Yes, either NYCFC or SA, but as previously discussed SA would be a bad option for a number of reasons.

Reactions: Vallos and Kjbert
Another team would have to grab him via the draft and he's not eligible for a few years still.

No, once signed he's a pro player and can't be housed on the u16 team - he's graduated from the academy with the paying contract.

Yes, either NYCFC or SA, but as previously discussed SA would be a bad option for a number of reasons.

Gotcha. Thanks for the answers.

So the question becomes, is his development better served training with the first team but getting very little playing time, or is it better served playing games in the academy? No wrong answers to that question, though I'd probably err on the side of letting him play games, even if he is a bit too good for the academy. Not sure I want a 16-year-old kid sitting on the bench for virtually the entire season, maybe getting into a game a month if he's lucky. My guess would be that he needs more than practice time to improve.

Gotcha. Thanks for the answers.

So the question becomes, is his development better served training with the first team but getting very little playing time, or is it better served playing games in the academy? No wrong answers to that question, though I'd probably err on the side of letting him play games, even if he is a bit too good for the academy. Not sure I want a 16-year-old kid sitting on the bench for virtually the entire season, maybe getting into a game a month if he's lucky. My guess would be that he needs more than practice time to improve.
I just don't think finding him game time is a reason not to sign him. If he were 18, then I'd agree. But at 16, I think being in a pro environment and having that intense training is at least as valuable. And if it gets to the point where he needs matches, there are plenty of semi-pro clubs around where he can grab games. But I'm not at all sure that he wouldn't play with fair regularity, because I think he's probably a good Pirlo sub when we're up. And we also tend to have plenty of opportunities for mop-up minutes based on my anecdotal, non-empirical observing of our scorelines. I feel like every other or third match is a blowout one way or the other when we're involved.

I just don't think finding him game time is a reason not to sign him. If he were 18, then I'd agree. But at 16, I think being in a pro environment and having that intense training is at least as valuable. And if it gets to the point where he needs matches, there are plenty of semi-pro clubs around where he can grab games. But I'm not at all sure that he wouldn't play with fair regularity, because I think he's probably a good Pirlo sub when we're up. And we also tend to have plenty of opportunities for mop-up minutes based on my anecdotal, non-empirical observing of our scorelines. I feel like every other or third match is a blowout one way or the other when we're involved.

I've been meaning to look into these rules for a while now, but can we send a pro player to the Long Island Rough Riders, or is that league amateur-only?

Question-

If he's given a contract and housed with U16's, why is it that a euro club can grab him?

I've been meaning to look into these rules for a while now, but can we send a pro player to the Long Island Rough Riders, or is that league amateur-only?

Its NPSL which is amateur only. The reason its amateur only is that its basically designed as a league to let college players get some game time while still keeping their NCAA eligibility.

I don't think the Rough Riders is an option being non-pro.

Question-

If he's given a contract and housed with U16's, why is it that a euro club can grab him?
Once he signs a contract he cannot be housed with the u16 team since that is the Academy (amateur) and he'd be a paid pro.

Reactions: Kjbert and Taurus

You may be right. I don't know exactly how I feel about it. My main sport is baseball, and if this were baseball I'd say either he plays every day or he needs to go to the minors. But I suppose soccer is different. I'd love to hear an interview where PV or Claudio are asked that question. Which is more valuable, practice time with the first team or game time with the academy team.