NYCFC Sign Rodney Wallace

Very cool. I imagine he's the default backup to Matarrita at LB, plus he enters the competition for the LW spot.

The only issue I have with this is that Wallace has been called up to the Costa Rican national team as recently as last November. If we are missing Matarrita due to international duty, we are probably missing Wallace too.

We have so much depth now, yet we are still potentially one injury from having Ethan White in the 18. Or worse, playing.

Last edited:
We have the depth to not need to play the first-11 5 games in a row. It does appear that the FO/coaches learned from the burnout of the starters - their legs never had pop in them after that heat-wave streak of games.
Plus we are going to be very difficult to prepare for. We saw how PV liked to throw different looks out there. He will be able to overload the left side if he thinks there is a weak right back. Throw serious speed up top if our opponents back line is slow. Villa is going to have more room to play and won't have to practically lead the league in minutes played.

Not sure what his salary is like, but we did not give up much at all to get his rights from the Timbers for a player of his caliber.

Man, he's exactly what we needed, a MLS veteran and someone who took his team to the cup. I see him as our versatile player making spot starts at different positions based on our needs. This is a great signing and our team is very deep now for the long season.

Good job FO. Him and the Moralez signing made my day today.

Very cool. I imagine he's the default backup to Matarrita at LB, plus he enters the competition for the LW spot.

The only issue I have with this is that Wallace has been called up to the Costa Rican national team as recently as last November. If we are missing Matarrita due to international duty, we are probably missing Wallace too.

Quoting myself to add that Wallace is also a nice buffer in the event that Matarrita is sold this summer.

Not sure what his salary is like, but we did not give up much at all to get his rights from the Timbers for a player of his caliber.

Man, he's exactly what we needed, a MLS veteran and someone who took his team to the cup. I see him as our versatile player making spot starts at different positions based on our needs. This is a great signing and our team is very deep now for the long season.

Good job FO. Him and the Moralez signing made my day today.
He was making 165k/190k in 2015 with Portland.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I posted this in the roster thread because I didn't see this one, but this guy is a player. Ronnie better tighten his jock because Wallace might well take his position. At worst, this will help Ronnie kick-on, work harder and get better. And then we can sell his non-defending club defender of the year ass to Europe and bathe our roster with more glorious allocation money.

I said it in the shoutbox when Ronald was doing his too regular loafing, he better watch it or he's next on #mixlist. Kidding. Sort of. He definitely is going to get pushed, and I think that's great.

I have to say I'm really excited about this. Villa has never been paired up top with someone as much of a finished product as Wallace.
I agree. This is the first move we've made that I am 100% sure it's excellent. Now, he may not produce like I expect, but this is evidence of some real thought going into a decision. Feels a lot less like buying lottery tickets than the rest of them. He's the first ever MLS proven guy we've gone out and gotten. And by proven, I mean proven not to suck or be a soccer Methusaleh.

Very good signing!
giphy.gif

Quoting myself to add that Wallace is also a nice buffer in the event that Matarrita is sold this summer.
I actually came onto this thread to post your point in your first post, but did not even consider this point here.

This has the possibility of leading to a Mata sell this summer, GAM it up, buy down Maxi, get Sami. Or maybe I'm just drunk.