NYCFC Sign Rodney Wallace

I actually came onto this thread to post your point in your first post, but did not even consider this point here.

This has the possibility of leading to a Mata sell this summer, GAM it up, buy down Maxi, get Sami. Or maybe I'm just drunk.
Yeah, Wallace is the Long Con for when mata leaves; we won't be left scrambling when he's transferred.

For those who have watched Wallace in the past, who is a better defender him or Mata? Is there a chance Mata gets bumped up to LM or LW and Wallace locks down the LB spot? As talented as Mata is his defense can be pretty bad at times, he's not amazing at positioning and seems to have a few moments each game where he misses his assignment because of mental lapses where he just stops paying attention.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Here's a question. Both he and Matarrita can play LW or LB. It's been assumed that Wallace would move up, but maybe he plays defense and Matarrita moves up?

I don't know enough about Wallace to gauge his relative skill on offense and defense, but it's a possibility.

Wow strange timing, sorry for the duplicate.

Here's a question. Both he and Matarrita can play LW or LB. It's been assumed that Wallace would move up, but maybe he plays defense and Matarrita moves up?

I don't know enough about Wallace to gauge his relative skill on offense and defense, but it's a possibility.
Why not play them fluid? Switch at will. Confuse the hell out of the opposition.

Why not play them fluid? Switch at will. Confuse the hell out of the opposition.
Leftback is like Quarterback (having 2 means you don't have 1). Not really. Just seemed like a good thing to say.

It's not at all uncommon. When Fabian Johnson and Wendt first started playing together, they interchanged a lot.

That said, I don't think either (ronnie or rodney) of them are too awful about wanting to get back quick to defend, so they could end up in a fist fight over who is supposed to pretend to track back from time to time.

Last edited:
Leftback is like Quarterback (having 2 means you don't have 1). Not really. Just seemed like a good thing to say.

It's not at all uncommon. When Fabian Johnson and Wendt first started playing together, they interchanged a lot.

That said, I don't think either (ronnie or rodney) of them are too awful about wanting to get back quick to defend, so they could end up in a fist fight over who is supposed to pretend to track back from time to time.
You know, even when your comments are reasonable, I can't help but feel like they are coming from a totally smug bastard. Your avatar is just killing me man. ;)

For those who have watched Wallace in the past, who is a better defender him or Mata? Is there a chance Mata gets bumped up to LM or LW and Wallace locks down the LB spot? As talented as Mata is his defense can be pretty bad at times, he's not amazing at positioning and seems to have a few moments each game where he misses his assignment because of mental lapses where he just stops paying attention.

Personally I think Wallace is a better attacker . Id rather have mattarita in the back where he has been solid. Wallace is a very intelligent attacking player.

I'm familiar with Wallace's work. He's very creative.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I know I keep posting on this guy but man. So pumped we got him. Idk if anyone watched mls pre nycfc but this guy can play in this league.
100% agree. He certainly wasn't the first or second player named when fans remembered portlands timber run, but he so instrumental and opened up the space for players such as Valeri to operate. He was sorely missed by timber fans when he left.

Obviously, I think we all envision him playing the same role for NYC. Keeping my fingers crossed...but regardless of the result, I'm glad to see the FO make a strong signing and notice his strengths. These signings have steered our team in the right direction (as well as last offseason)

Does this guy play wide or tuck in usually? I ask because I was watching the game against NJRB the other day and couldn't help but notice that RJ Allen practically was beyond touch on most possessions

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Does this guy play wide or tuck in usually? I ask because I was watching the game against NJRB the other day and couldn't help but notice that RJ Allen practically was beyond touch on most possessions

From what I saw of him at Portland, he likes to tuck in and get in the box to score.

And I agree on allen. But at same time hope he stays with the team. At his salary you won't find a better right back or teammate.

Totally off topic but has anyone seen allens bro play? Wish we could steal him from Red Bull's. I think he has a solid future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
They are incredibly high on his brother. One reason, aside from the salary, they looked to move Veron this winter.

I agree on RJ. He's a piece we need. Don't think he's the long term solution every week at RB, but he's an important cog.

They are incredibly high on his brother. One reason, aside from the salary, they looked to move Veron this winter.

I agree on RJ. He's a piece we need. Don't think he's the long term solution every week at RB, but he's an important cog.

I agree, a lot of people will hate on RJ and he clearly has his limitations but all MLS teams need players like RJ to compete because of the salary cap

I agree, a lot of people will hate on RJ and he clearly has his limitations but all MLS teams need players like RJ to compete because of the salary cap
You need RJ's on the roster. But if you want to compete when the games matter, you're in a tough spot if he's trotting out to the cheers rained down upon your starting 11.