Nycfc Social Club (for Supporters Who Don't Want To Be In "supporter Culture")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midas Mulligan

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 29, 2014
NYC
ETA: Link to google form to indicate interest in being a part of this effort.

NYCFC Social Information Survey
Just wondering if anyone else around here has any interest in creating a loosely organized coalition of dudes whoobuy season tickets and love the game and club, but don't want to paint their face and stand and sing all game long because they have shit they have to do the next day.

When I was 25, I could do that. Not so much now. I'll pay supporters club dues, and I will help them out anyway I can other than committing to sit and sing with them. If no one has done so, I would like to start organizing an off-shoot/sub-set/whatever of people who share the passion, but not the drive or ability to be balls out in the supporters section all the time.

I'm thinking of folks who want to get seats near each other, meet for pre/post match drinks and good chats about the squad and tactics, but don't want to commit themselves to being part of the song engine/fraternal order of raising hell . I'm all about singing my ass off at the beginning and end of a match and a time or two in the middle if appropriate. Otherwise, I want to watch the match and applaud footballing done well and swear at the shit MLS refs.

I could give a fuck about someone telling me to sing. I don't want to keep anyone else from doing that (and SS should be that way). There has to be some other guys similarly positioned who are married/have other obligations and just can't be a part of that regularly anymore, but they would stil like the camaraderie and participation aspect of being in a group.

Is there something out there like this? If not, is there enough interest among others that I or someone might petition an appropriate party to get recognized as an officially unofficial wing/branch? Just trying to gauge interest to see if there are others similarly inclined.

Last edited:
I would imagine to get the best of both worlds, maybe get seats in the standard sections, right below the LF bleachers, you get the energy of the "core" of the supporters, while having a normal seat. it's one of the spots I'm considering, being i'll be pushing 40 soon, sometimes I just want to sit down and chill for a minute...lmao

Reactions: BHJ and Gene
I would imagine to get the best of both worlds, maybe get seats in the standard sections, right below the LF bleachers, you get the energy of the "core" of the supporters, while having a normal seat. it's one of the spots I'm considering, being i'll be pushing 40 soon, sometimes I just want to sit down and chill for a minute...lmao
That's exactly the section I was thinking. Removed, but still in an area close enough that I can get a little drunk and tell the ref he sucks. I feel like we need to organize an area like that. It would be great to be right there, so when we're in a derby/cup match and want to be a part of the action, we can. And when we want to be apart from the action (most of the time), that's an option as well.

On top of that,forget the price difference of SS vs other options. If I'm committing that much of my time to something, I want decent seats. Those bleachers aren't going to be awesome or comfortable for my 35 year old ass.

I'm down. I'll pay my dues to TR when the time comes but I won't be going hardcore or anything. I'll tailgate when I can, hit up as many games as I can, cheer when I can - but I can't make that commitment of going all out all game, every game...Honestly, I probably wouldn't even make it to one single Away Day that isn't RBNY.

If your serious about a Third Rail casuals, might I suggest calling it "The Straphangers" - since we'll be making up the vast majority of the group. In my mind it works, Third Rail supplies the energy that keeps the team going - The Straphangers provide the funds that give the Third Rail the support they need to do what they do. Plus we're the ones paying our fare/dues and standing around waiting for ride to be over. So it's kind of self-deprecating too.

That's not bad name-wise. I'd like it more if I didn't loathe Third Rail to begin with.

Other than not being in a rowdy environment all the time, I am just at a point where I have enough of a good time with a few beers beforehand and during. I don't need to pound shots or vodka/energy drinks and make a scene at the bar.

I'd rather get a little tipsy and argue a little too loudly over how we're mis-allocating cap space.

And I am serious about wanting to have a group like this. Given the nature of what I propose (more casual), a subset as you describe is definitely the way to go because by definition we don't want to rule the world or have a lot of perceived responsibility.

If there is enough interest, maybe we can get the SC board to go to the club with our desire for a little section in the area Scott McCarthy Scott McCarthy mentioned.

I actually envision a little group such as this as potentially being as critical an economic / cultural force as the SC.

Last edited:
That's not bad name-wise. I'd like it more if I didn't loathe Third Rail to begin with.

Other than not being in a rowdy environment all the time, I am just at a point where I have enough of a good time with a few beers beforehand and during. I don't need to pound shots or vodka/energy drinks and make a scene at the bar.

I'd rather get a little tipsy and argue a little too loudly over how we're mis-allocating cap space.

And I am serious about wanting to have a group like this. Given the nature of what I propose (more casual), a subset as you describe is definitely the way to go because by definition we don't want to rule the world or have a lot of perceived responsibility.

If there is enough interest, maybe we can get the SC board to go to the club with our desire for a little section in the area Scott McCarthy Scott McCarthy mentioned.

I actually envision a little group such as this as potentially being as critical an economic / cultural force as the SC.
Like I said, I'm in. I'm not too big into the Third Rail name either. I accept it and to an extent, embrace it but of the Big Three, SCNY, New Amsterdam and TR, it was my least favorite.

I would use something like SCNY since it's general enough to work, but in the spirit of camaraderie it may be best to stick with the TRSC umbrella. Honestly, since we are the casuals we can come up with any sort of name we want - call ourselves the goddamned Soccer Moms for all I care.

If anyone of or female supporters are interested in starting an ALL-FEMALE faction PLEASE USE the name "SOCCER MOMS".

I definitely wouldn't mind checking something like this out. I'm like 90% sure I want to sit in 135 or 136 in front of the bleachers or 234 in the "loge" next to the bleachers. Certainly wouldn't mind buddies to hang out with.

@JGriff217 has a pair of seats and I have a pair of seats. We are debating where we want to sit, plus his dad might be his second ticket a lot and he def doesnt want supporter seats, so if he had some buddies too and JGriff and I took in some time in the bleachers, this would be cool.

The concept I like, is calling the LF Bleacher supporters section "The Railyard", The Third Rail I hope comes to be synonymous with being a NYC FC fan in general, kinda the way Timbers Army is. I like the Straphangers name a lot too, it works.

Reactions: BHJ
I was thinking about this same topic a few days ago. A group of season ticket holders in the same area that just want to support NYCFC without the shenanigans. My seating nightmare is being surrounded by families and non-soccer fans, so this type of arrangement would solve that problem too.

I'm not sold on the SG to begin with, so whether we have a name or are even connected with them doesn't matter to me. I like the idea of nothing formal... just some fans enjoying the game together. Either way I am definitely interested.

I was thinking about this same topic a few days ago. A group of season ticket holders in the same area that just want to support NYCFC without the shenanigans. My seating nightmare is being surrounded by families and non-soccer fans, so this type of arrangement would solve that problem too.

I'm not sold on the SG to begin with, so whether we have a name or are even connected with them doesn't matter to me. I like the idea of nothing formal... just some fans enjoying the game together. Either way I am definitely interested.

Great to hear. I will pay my dues to them because I think their efforts are important. I'm just not at a place where I can do such a thing and remain (my wife would argue "semi-") happily married.

I have two season ticket deposits reserved as well. I think we should put it to a vote for "our section", and I tend to agree with Section1Guy Section1Guy about the 3 choices seeming pretty obvious. In fact, the setup is inadvertently tailor-made (oxy-moronic, but true) for a group like us to claim one of these. We may not be able to have the club reserve it for such, but we can try. If that fails, we'll just connect them one at a time with David or whomever in the ticket office.

Based on my experience, my initial inclination is Section 234 since that takes us out of the direct line of fire and likely offers a bit better view. I sat in the 3rd row at the edge of the 18 yd box for RBNY last Saturday and it sucked when the ball was the other end of the pitch. It's preferable to me to have a little height to add some perspective to goings on at either end.

Start spreading the word among your like-minded friends, and let's get a bit of buzz going among season ticket holders. I'd like to get to a critical mass of people before asking the club to actually call one of those sections "ours", and we don't have a lot of time to do so. Does anyone have suggestions regarding how many ticket reservations that should be? 100 sounds reasonable to me, but I have no idea what scale we are talking about since there's a lot of opaqueness at the club about # of tickets reserved.

Do you guys think it is worthwhile to go ahead and create a dedicated twitter handle and email distribution list?
I feel like if we somehow could get the word out, we'd find that a significant number of deposit holders want to be involved in this way. A little loosely dedicated group like us could be a very important part of building a strong, positive stadium experience for anthems, etc., as we demonstrate that you can be passionate at proper times without sitting in the supporter section. Rather than being dispersed, if we concentrate ourselves geographically at the beginning, we will be more easily identified as an example of proper support among all fans.

Eta: one more reason for 234 from the "leading by example" perspective is that it would likely better distinguish us visually from the SC section and be more visible, as it would effectively be a corner platform of full of proper social fans.

Great to hear. I will pay my dues to them because I think their efforts are important. I'm just not at a place where I can do such a thing and remain (my wife would argue "semi-") happily married.

I have two season ticket deposits reserved as well. I think we should put it to a vote for "our section", and I tend to agree with Section1Guy Section1Guy about the 3 choices seeming pretty obvious. In fact, the setup is inadvertently tailor-made (oxy-moronic, but true) for a group like us to claim one of these. We may not be able to have the club reserve it for such, but we can try. If that fails, we'll just connect them one at a time with David or whomever in the ticket office.

Based on my experience, my initial inclination is Section 234 since that takes us out of the direct line of fire and likely offers a bit better view. I sat in the 3rd row at the edge of the 18 yd box for RBNY last Saturday and it sucked when the ball was the other end of the pitch. It's preferable to me to have a little height to add some perspective to goings on at either end.

Start spreading the word among your like-minded friends, and let's get a bit of buzz going among season ticket holders. I'd like to get to a critical mass of people before asking the club to actually call one of those sections "ours", and we don't have a lot of time to do so. Does anyone have suggestions regarding how many ticket reservations that should be? 100 sounds reasonable to me, but I have no idea what scale we are talking about since there's a lot of opaqueness at the club about # of tickets reserved.

Do you guys think it is worthwhile to go ahead and create a dedicated twitter handle and email distribution list?
I feel like if we somehow could get the word out, we'd find that a significant number of deposit holders want to be involved in this way. A little loosely dedicated group like us could be a very important part of building a strong, positive stadium experience for anthems, etc., as we demonstrate that you can be passionate at proper times without sitting in the supporter section. Rather than being dispersed, if we concentrate ourselves geographically at the beginning, we will be more easily identified as an example of proper support among all fans.

Eta: one more reason for 234 from the "leading by example" perspective is that it would likely better distinguish us visually from the SC section and be more visible, as it would effectively be a corner platform of full of proper social fans.

Great post.
Get a twitter handle going. We can also try to get an email list going. The worst that can happen is nothing happens. It didn't cost us anything. Shit I'll even get a Reddit group going just to have another space on the internet reserved.

So it's agreed that we continue to ride under the Third Rail banner?
Do we name ourselves? - FWIW naming is unnecessary but good. It's hard to brand yourselves when you don't have a name associated with the brand.
Since we are loosely connected - do we want or need a place on the Third Rail Board? Or are we more of a lobby group?

This is very appealing. I like the idea of a group of people getting together to watch a team they like. I also won't feel so badly about continuing to root for the Red Bulls/Cosmos/many other teams.

I think Timbers Army has a similar offshoot. A somewhat informal group of fans who have either aged out/had kids/or just want to watch the game with other dedicated fans.

Last edited:
Great post.
Get a twitter handle going. We can also try to get an email list going. The worst that can happen is nothing happens. It didn't cost us anything. Shit I'll even get a Reddit group going just to have another space on the internet reserved.

So it's agreed that we continue to ride under the Third Rail banner?
Do we name ourselves? - FWIW naming is unnecessary but good. It's hard to brand yourselves when you don't have a name associated with the brand.
Since we are loosely connected - do we want or need a place on the Third Rail Board? Or are we more of a lobby group?
Twitter , Reddit sound great, I hope a FB page does not become the main page for this group, i personally cant stand facebook. Just my opinion

Twitter , Reddit sound great, I hope a FB page does not become the main page for this group, i personally cant stand facebook. Just my opinion

Since I try to avoid facebook, the last thing I want to do is obligate myself to starting/moderating a group there.

I have set up a gmail account and twitter handle of simply "NYCFCSocial". I'm not trying to use that as a name, please just consider it a placeholder.

I'm entering this thread as the website, unless that is a problem ( einwindir einwindir ?).

I don't know how to use reddit for anything that isn't prurient. Someone else want to take the reins there?

Facebook is finding it's way into irrelevance. I'm thankful for what Anthony and Billy were able to create; they did a fantastic job turning an idea into a reality - but it's jumped the shark so to speak. It's gotten too big to handle properly. As long as we continue to develop this community we will always remain the goto place for Supporters.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
Here's the link to twitter handle (I'll add to my sig as well). Please follow and retweet the hell out of it. If someone else wants to volunteer to also admin/post with the handle, it will probably help keep our activity level/visibility up. I can be pretty hit or miss depending on what I have going on.

https://twitter.com/NYCFCSocial

Reactions: BHJ and einwindir
Status
Not open for further replies.