Nycfc Social Club (for Supporters Who Don't Want To Be In "supporter Culture")

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you guys are ready let me know and I'll set up a section for you with privileges for your members.
No one can reply/make threads until they've been verified as a member.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
When you guys are ready let me know and I'll set up a section for you with privileges for your members.
No one can reply/make threads until they've been verified as a member.
Whenever you get a chance, go ahead and create it.

Who will be able to approve members?

I'll be able to.
If whoever is heading this could please send me the following. If we are going to back a group using the forum as a home we do need it to be somewhat official.
Name (if no name then a name for the forum)
A mission statement
Affiliation (umbrella group?)
Description of dues if any (if an umbrella group the fees are owed to Third Rail and your members need to be aware of that).
Once I have that I'll set it up and make the head guy moderator of the forum. You can then set up a thread explaining your intentions and then a separate thread with a membership entry application or whatever you prefer.

Maybe I am chicken little with the falling sky, but I hope the desire for NYCFC social club doesn't imply that the Third Rail is pushing people away. What Midas mentions about a group of guys talking soccer and drinking beer is exactly what I'm about as well. I guess I feel that the Third Rail should have that as well. Maybe they aren't mutually exclusive but I hope that Third Rail events don't turn into ragers where people feel uncomfortable if they aren't pounding shots.

Thinking about it more I suppose I am being melodramatic. If we can have the Cookie Brigade, why not the Straphangers too. The Third Rail is supposed to be an umbrella group anyway.

I'll be able to.
If whoever is heading this could please send me the following. If we are going to back a group using the forum as a home we do need it to be somewhat official.
Name (if no name then a name for the forum)
A mission statement
Affiliation (umbrella group?)
Description of dues if any (if an umbrella group the fees are owed to Third Rail and your members need to be aware of that).
Once I have that I'll set it up and make the head guy moderator of the forum. You can then set up a thread explaining your intentions and then a separate thread with a membership entry application or whatever you prefer.
No fees will be owed to the Third Rail ever. The Third Rail is supposed to be an umbrella group, the name of the supporters of NYCFC. The dues will be for membership in a group that is a part of the Third Rail. The idea is that anyone who is a supporter of NYCFC and wishes to be part of the action can be a member of the Third Rail without jumping through any hoops. Just hang out with them and there you go. However to get the membership benefits/responsibilities and contribute to supporter's section stuff you would need to pay dues to the subgroup.

Also, I think I was just working out my anxieties in the above post. I want to be a hardcore supporter and I want the group within which I support be as inclusive as possible. The splintered groups at other MLS teams seem like a dilution of the possibilities for success as supporters. Which is not to say that the straphangers will lead to splintering. I (selfishly) want all kinds to hang out together, it's more fun to hang out with different types of people as suits your mood. Anyway I guess I am in a rambling mood today. So it goes.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Maybe I am chicken little with the falling sky, but I hope the desire for NYCFC social club doesn't imply that the Third Rail is pushing people away. What Midas mentions about a group of guys talking soccer and drinking beer is exactly what I'm about as well. I guess I feel that the Third Rail should have that as well. Maybe they aren't mutually exclusive but I hope that Third Rail events don't turn into ragers where people feel uncomfortable if they aren't pounding shots.

Thinking about it more I suppose I am being melodramatic. If we can have the Cookie Brigade, why not the Straphangers too. The Third Rail is supposed to be an umbrella group anyway.
All input is good, always speak your mind.

We could easily splinter off and go the way every other MLS SG but we have a vested interest in making NYC FC the golden rule for all of MLS - Supporters Groups included. Which is why we would continue to follow the Third Rail mission. All the Social Club/Straphangers would be, is a faction. Much like Third Rail Polska, Cookie Brigade, City Firestarters, Away Day Casuals. Third Rail is a common bond. To me, it is synonymous with NYCFC SUPPORTERS. Straphangers would just be another option for fans to enjoy.

Reactions: CornellBigRed

If you look at my initial post, I make very clear that I'm not trying to take anyone away. It's just either something auxiliary like this or nothing for me. I'll be paying TRSC dues and support them any way that promotes the club.

I just don't want a lot of responsibility or something that's more like being a college-aged college football fan. I want to be able to convince my wife or other non-soccer culture people to come to a game and have fun, not get beer sloshed on them by anyone other than me.

I am sure many of us interested in our "social" club would love to be as rowdy , but we can't anymore, so we need another outlet that still allows us to be a part of a group and the accompanying joy of experiencing sport together while also helping build club momentum in a way that pairs reasonably with other concerns.

NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan, I don't really envision dues or anything. I would encourage folks to join TRSC because I believe they can be an important and necessary part of club culture that I want to at least financially support. I will try to come up with some of the stuff you mentioned in the near future. It will likely be an amalgamation of the posts here.

If any of you here want to help with administering our twitter/email/reddit/hangout, send me a pm.

All input is good, always speak your mind.

We could easily splinter off and go the way every other MLS SG but we have a vested interest in making NYC FC the golden rule for all of MLS - Supporters Groups included. Which is why we would continue to follow the Third Rail mission. All the Social Club/Straphangers would be, is a faction. Much like Third Rail Polska, Cookie Brigade, City Firestarters, Away Day Casuals. Third Rail is a common bond. To me, it is synonymous with NYCFC SUPPORTERS. Straphangers would just be another option for fans to enjoy.
Nice to hear. Apropos of nothing, I've been bouncing around threads today and I really do think that this is an excellent community. I enjoy coming here, for the most part. ;)

If you look at my initial post, I make very clear that I'm not trying to take anyone away. It's just either something auxiliary like this or nothing for me. I'll be paying TRSC dues and support them any way that promotes the club.

I just don't want a lot of responsibility or something that's more like being a college-aged college football fan. I want to be able to convince my wife or other non-soccer culture people to come to a game and have fun, not get beer sloshed on them by anyone other than me.

I am sure many of us interested in our "social" club would love to be as rowdy , but we can't anymore, so we need another outlet that still allows us to be a part of a group and the accompanying joy of experiencing sport together while also helping build club momentum in a way that pairs reasonably with other concerns.

NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan, I don't really envision dues or anything. I would encourage folks to join TRSC because I believe they can be an important and necessary part of club culture that I want to at least financially support. I will try to come up with some of the stuff you mentioned in the near future. It will likely be an amalgamation of the posts here.

If any of you here want to help with administering our twitter/email/reddit/hangout, send me a pm.
I'm down to give a hand where I can.

I guess once we have a decent amount of people intrested in this, we can maybe put up a poll and see what section we would like the group to sit in @ Yankee Stadium. I definetly think it needs to be near the LF Bleachers, either the section in front of, off to the side of on the 100 level, or the sections near it in the 200's.

It sounds like a faction that doesn't need a faction. I get the idea of a more casual supporters section, but that might be based on assumptions or vibes before we even have our first home game or before many of us had the chance to meet up on more than a bar crawl. For the most part, many of us do fine gravitating towards like conversation and common levels in support intensity.
We don't know what the gameday experience is going be, nor have we had many a chance to create friendships other than on the forum, which is hardly a personal engagement.
So we assume the supporters section will be standing/chanting etc.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what is being proposed sounds like being a fan in any other section of the stadium. Why does that need a separate group?

Reactions: Samuel Youn
It sounds like a faction that doesn't need a faction. I get the idea of a more casual supporters section, but that might be based on assumptions or vibes before we even have our first home game or before many of us had the chance to meet up on more than a bar crawl. For the most part, many of us do fine gravitating towards like conversation and common levels in support intensity.
We don't know what the gameday experience is going be, nor have we had many a chance to create friendships other than on the forum, which is hardly a personal engagement.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but what is being proposed sounds like being a fan in any other section of the stadium. Why does that need a separate group?

i think it comes from a possible expectation of what is seen in some other supporters group and maybe some felling like they wouldn't want to detract from what "is expected" of those in that particular section...plus some people may just not like sitting on bleacher seats. LOL.

The reason I put down for both (Supporters & Standard) is because I plan on initing friends and family to try and get them interested, and I think a newcomer or casual fan will be more comfortable in a standard seat.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
It's a tactic to engage Supporters that are too passive for traditional Supporters culture. It's a loosely fitted network of fans that will show fence-sitters, casuals, families that we alhave a comon bond. Think of what Official Fab Clubs are except you aren't writing a check to a mult-billion dollar industry.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Let's hope it doesn't "need" one long term. But I think acting as a seed of soccer culture amongst the garden of casual attendees could be valuable for building a strong stadium experience.

The hope would be that eventually, every section outside of the SS would be like 234 (just an example from one of the 3 we've discussed). But even then, I don't see how some older guys who want to have a bit more relaxed environment to bring guests is detrimental to the cause. The point of a supporters' club isn't to be an awesome supporters' club. It's to provide awesome support for the club. I just suggested this so that folks such as myself can still feel and be a part of a group dedicated to the same goal of building a club that is the party piece of MLS.

We still want the social experience, just one that isn't 100% congruent with sitting in the supporter's section.

If it's not for you, then that's cool. You can certainly sit in another section, just as any one of us can. I'm not on a drive to convert anyone. What I hope and believe those of us interested in this little group endeavor wants is an avenue for us and others who'd otherwise be a bit out of sorts in the larger group.

I don't know any way to make it more clear that I, nor anyone else here that I've noticed, is suggesting competition with TRSC. If anything, I would imagine we would bring more people under the big tent and increase their revenues.

The bottom line is, we are going to be sitting next to other people during matches. I, and apparently some other people, like the idea of sitting outside of the dedicated supporters' section but alongside those who feel emotionally invested in the club. If we want to meet up and get beers beforehand, that just makes us dudes who like drinking beers before a match. You are welcome to join for any or all pre/post game gatherings, regardless of where you sit.

The whole point of the effort is to connect people. That's all. When I stop replying to the thread, I'm going to message the TRSC guy (who is it again?) and fill him in. I'm not going to ask him to publicize because that would be counter to our purpose. It's all in the name of increasing participation by offering other opportunities to be a positive part of NYCFC's growth, not cannibalizing it.

Let's hope it doesn't "need" one long term. But I think acting as a seed of soccer culture amongst the garden of casual attendees could be valuable for building a strong stadium experience.

The hope would be that eventually, every section outside of the SS would be like 234 (just an example from one of the 3 we've discussed). But even then, I don't see how some older guys who want to have a bit more relaxed environment to bring guests is detrimental to the cause. The point of a supporters' club isn't to be an awesome supporters' club. It's to provide awesome support for the club. I just suggested this so that folks such as myself can still feel and be a part of a group dedicated to the same goal of building a club that is the party piece of MLS.

We still want the social experience, just one that isn't 100% congruent with sitting in the supporter's section.

If it's not for you, then that's cool. You can certainly sit in another section, just as any one of us can. I'm not on a drive to convert anyone. What I hope and believe those of us interested in this little group endeavor wants is an avenue for us and others who'd otherwise be a bit out of sorts in the larger group.

I don't know any way to make it more clear that I, nor anyone else here that I've noticed, is suggesting competition with TRSC. If anything, I would imagine we would bring more people under the big tent and increase their revenues.

The bottom line is, we are going to be sitting next to other people during matches. I, and apparently some other people, like the idea of sitting outside of the dedicated supporters' section but alongside those who feel emotionally invested in the club. If we want to meet up and get beers beforehand, that just makes us dudes who like drinking beers before a match. You are welcome to join for any or all pre/post game gatherings, regardless of where you sit.

The whole point of the effort is to connect people. That's all. When I stop replying to the thread, I'm going to message the TRSC guy (who is it again?) and fill him in. I'm not going to ask him to publicize because that would be counter to our purpose. It's all in the name of increasing participation by offering other opportunities to be a positive part of NYCFC's growth, not cannibalizing it.
@BToto920 is VP and also the most active here so he's a good one to start with.

i think it comes from a possible expectation of what is seen in some other supporters group and maybe some felling like they wouldn't want to detract from what "is expected" of those in that particular section...plus some people may just not like sitting on bleacher seats. LOL.

The reason I put down for both (Supporters & Standard) is because I plan on initing friends and family to try and get them interested, and I think a newcomer or casual fan will be more comfortable in a standard seat.

This was the detailed information I was interested in. Thank you for the reply!

I am still unsure where I will be sitting but I can definitely see the appeal in having a dedicated SG area for fans who want to sit/bring guests/not get hammered and jump around. It would be ideal if the sections could be right next to each other. Make sure the board hears this!

Status
Not open for further replies.