Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there's likely to be more than 3 DPs aren't there?

There sitting at a desk somewhere discussing that right now aren't they?

I haven't been keeping up to the minute on where that stands though.
I've tried to but the MLS is keeping that under wraps. I haven't seen any information on that. Hopefully something concrete will come out by this weekend.

Reactions: Kjbert
A few things.

- All the media seem to be requoting the same story from the Spanish paper. That means we really only have one source that this is a "done deal". On the other hand, it also means that none of these other outlets are hearing anything contradictory (other than the NY Post).
- The fact that MLS has put up an article on this is particularly encouraging. I don't think the league would run with something like this unless they knew it was coming together.
- There is no way that Pirlo would announce or even sign a deal ahead of Saturday, when he plays one of the biggest games of his career. Let's see if we get teasers for an announcement next week.
- It ain't over 'til it's over.

I agree with all points except for the MLS article adding to the proof. Logically what you are saying should be true. Strangely enough the rumor articles posted on the official MLS website often turn out to be false. I find it really strange that the official league website runs poorly sourced often false articles but they do.

examples:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...red-be-contemplating-joining-new-york-city-fc

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...tional-hatem-ben-arfa-linked-new-york-city-fc

Well there's likely to be more than 3 DPs aren't there?

They're sitting at a desk somewhere discussing that right now aren't they?

I haven't been keeping up to the minute on where that stands though.

Yes. Posted this in another thread, but based on the business being conducted by Orlando (trying to buy Dom Dwyer, courting Didier Drogba) and from Taylow Twellman, it sounds like a 4th DP is coming sooner rather than later.

Reactions: gbservis
Allocation list is for select USMNT senior and youth players and for players returning to the league.

Then there is a "discovery" list - every year, you have a list of players who don't play in MLS who you get to claim. I want to say it's about 10 names globally each franchise can claim. If that players wants to play for another franchise upon entering the league, then the team with a claim is compensated. I've read on here it costs $50k to buy someone else's claim.

For a long time, it's been rumored that Pirlo and Gerrard were both claimed by LA Galaxy. Who knows if that is true.

whats the point on the discovery list? just feels weird saying i got dibs on x player who isint even on the league or who may not even enter the league for a few years. Who has messi or C. Ronaldo's "discovery" rights.

Reactions: TommyM
whats the point on the discovery list? just feels weird saying i got dibs on x player who isint even on the league or who may not even enter the league for a few years. Who has messi or C. Ronaldo's "discovery" rights.

What's the point of a lot of the MLS rules?

The league doesn't want competition to sign players, thus driving up salaries and fixed costs. In a single entity system, if I claim one player, it means there isn't competition to sign him, driving up the cost.

It's a bull shit mechanism to keep the teams from bidding against each other. The players contracts are negotiated through the league so it keeps it simple for the league to talk to the players reps without issuing several offers at once and looking like the incompetent ass holes they really are.

The MLS & NYCFC will get some media traction from this during the CL coverage. Pirlo being linked to MLS gives the league some street cred. They may just be capitalizing on the rumors. This is either a brilliant media hype campaign or a colossal fail. I can't imagine any other professional sports league posting a rumor story.

Maybe they sign him to a 6 month contract and bring in another player as the 3rd DP...knowing a 4th DP slot will be available next season. Who knows. It doesn't make sense to chase the rumors.

I will admit that when the news broke I naively thought it was a done deal, I went from complete teary-eyed jubilation to smh disappointment lol.

First off I just want to say the whole discovery list thing is stupid. They claim the purpose of it is to prevent teams from competing for the same player and driving up the cost. The assumption is that if the list is limited to 7-10 players (I have heard all different numbers) then teams will be forced to be selective about who is on the list. The whole thing seems to be back firing though as New England and LAG got in a pissing match last month over it. LAG is claimed they were already talking to a player when New England put said player on their discovery list. Essentially LAG accused NE of using the list just to get (steal) $50k from them.

New Chant....replace ole with Pirlo...

Pirlooooo, pirlo, pirlo, pirlo...
piirrlllooo, piirrlllooo...

Too soon??

At this point, he'd look dumb not to sign with us.

Not if he signs with with a team who drops a ton of Benjis in his lap.

ZPFQVis9WAAcE.gif

As of earlier today NYCFC have "no comment" on Pirlo or anyone else being signed.

I expect the same response until there's an announcement and he's holding a jersey.

Pretty sure Pirlo comes out looking just fine and all these "sources" end up looking dumb and we all look even worse for believing them.
It was said with sarcasm, but this is certainly some classic transfer rumor stuff. Incredible how one report has been latched onto for ~8 hours. The silence is pretty telling, however.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
Pretty sure Pirlo comes out looking just fine and all these "sources" end up looking dumb and we all look even worse for believing them.
Of course you're right, but oh dear fucking god I hope you're wrong.

Also, if these crazy ass "Pirlo will sign but not be DP3" rumors are true, who do we sign as DP3? Let's have it people. Let's see your starting XI with Villa, Lamp, Pirlo, Mix and another DP.
Brb going to the hospital to have my erection checked.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.