Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll have served his purpose by the end of 2016. While I wouldn't mind having him for 2017, I'm sure we can find a much younger and more long-term DP solution at that time.

Or Ibra.

Random daydreaming: I wish we could ax Lampard after this season, and sign up Ibra when his expires next June. Pirlo feeding Villa and Ibra? Holy fuck.

I guess the keyword is option. So if he's kicking ass here, why not have the ability to pick it up. If not, then we move along. Unless the option is exclusively his.

Reactions: Kjbert
so we are getting a striker? I guess I can see that. But we have zero depth at center back would have figured we would get someone there, especially with the emergence of poku as a promising striker.

edit- makes me wonder if george john is coming along faster than expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
so we are getting a striker? I guess I can see that. But we have zero depth at center back would have figured we would get someone there, especially with the emergence of poku as a promising striker.

If Hernandez or Facey go down...we just have bodies on the bench. No legit back up. I'd prefer to get a bonafide starting CB not just a back up. I'd rotate the 3 of them so they stay fresh and build up chemistry together.

If Hernandez or Facey go down...we just have bodies on the bench. No legit back up. I'd prefer to get a bonafide starting CB not just a back up. I'd rotate the 3 of them so they stay fresh and build up chemistry together.

I totally agree with this. We will score goals with pirlo, lamps, villa, poku, and mix. Its about not getting scored on, and like u said if hernandez or facey go down..that means kwame and wingert as center backs and we all know how that works out.

Reactions: NickA
Wingert is your back-up CB. Totally useable, replacement level player.

I loved the idea from Midas Mulligan about Nemec being a CB. Makes a lot of sense, especially in MLS.
It's not totally without precedent, either - Eriq Zavaleta was an all-American striker at Indiana University, and now starts at CB for Toronto.

It's late in his career for Nemec to make the switch, and it's not ever going to happen. But it's happened before.

It's not totally without precedent, either - Eriq Zavaleta was an all-American striker at Indiana University, and now starts at CB for Toronto.

It's late in his career for Nemec to make the switch, and it's not ever going to happen. But it's happened before.

the problem specifically with Nemec is that he is a Slovakian International. He plays as a Striker and they have Euros coming up. If Kreis told him he was now a CB, the guy would leave. I don't think many of us would care, but the guy would leave.

Nemec should play Left Back... as in Left Back in Slovakia.

PS- 1,000 post!!

FREEDOM-YAY.gif

Some key things Gio said when asked about Pirlo coming.

"You cannot compare the level of play to that of the European leagues, but I am convinced that this can become an important league in the future. There is not as much quality and tactical discipline as in Europe, but the organisation is pretty well."

"They should change some rules to facililate the arrival of more players from abroad, like the salary cap."

Some key things Gio said when asked about Pirlo coming.

"You cannot compare the level of play to that of the European leagues, but I am convinced that this can become an important league in the future. There is not as much quality and tactical discipline as in Europe, but the organisation is pretty well."

"They should change some rules to facililate the arrival of more players from abroad, like the salary cap."
Gio is absolutely right, the first thing they need to change is the damn salary cap. This isn't the NBA. If MLS wants to become a power league one day the salary cap needs to change or even disappear because they don't make it easy for foreign players to come to the league because they're pushing so hard to make USMNT worthy players but you can't do that if you don't have experience and knowledge from difference leagues finding it difficult to come play in the states. Players like Giovinvo, Villa, Gerrard, Pirlo, and Lampard can set the bar for MLS and really turn it into a power league in the future.

Gio is absolutely right, the first thing they need to change is the damn salary cap. This isn't the NBA. If MLS wants to become a power league one day the salary cap needs to change or even disappear because they don't make it easy for foreign players to come to the league because they're pushing so hard to make USMNT worthy players but you can't do that if you don't have experience and knowledge from difference leagues finding it difficult to come play in the states. Players like Giovinvo, Villa, Gerrard, Pirlo, and Lampard can set the bar for MLS and really turn it into a power league in the future.
Hold on - let me put my /r/MLS hat on for a second.

"BUT COMPETITIVE BALANCE!!! HOW WILL THE COLORADO RAPIDS SURVIVE IF THERE ISN'T AN OVERLY RESTRICTIVE SALARY CAP EQUIVALENT TO THE SALARY OF THE 8TH NBA PLAYER OFF THE BENCH IN MILWAUKEE?!?!"

Nemec is a international striker, he is plenty good enough for MLS, but when was the last time you saw a decent cross entered toward him? Forget him with the ball at his feet, that is not his game, obviously. The fact is when we play him, we forget how to cross. That will all change when Iraola and Calle/Angelino come on board. I would definitely keep him and at least let him have a chance when surrounded by players that can actually play to his head.

We win a LOT of aerial battles with him in the lineup.

Hold on - let me put my /r/MLS hat on for a second.

"BUT COMPETITIVE BALANCE!!! HOW WILL THE COLORADO RAPIDS SURVIVE IF THERE ISN'T AN OVERLY RESTRICTIVE SALARY CAP EQUIVALENT TO THE SALARY OF THE 8TH NBA PLAYER OFF THE BENCH IN MILWAUKEE?!?!"
Yeah well every team deals with that in every league from France to England to Portugal to Spain blah blah blah. More sponsors, more awareness for the league is never a bad thing if it was changed up/.

I am a fan of the Salary Cap and I will tell you why (ducks for cover)

All around the world, you have crappy players making too much money. Whether it's Rickie Lambert or Pappa Cisse - teams can't control themselves.

What the Salary Cap does is keep the cost of the average American player down. Is Chris Wingert really worth 140k per year? No way. But in a more open system, Kreis probably pays him $14 Million (just kidding). It protects the owners from themselves.

The best thing that MLS can do is start removing the restrictions from the higher paid players. More DPs, more Homegrowns, more Generation Adidas and the Core DP idea that has been thrown around. Spend the money on the talent, keep your costs down with the run of the mill replacement level player, and this league will grow.

I am a fan of the Salary Cap and I will tell you why (ducks for cover)

All around the world, you have crappy players making too much money. Whether it's Rickie Lambert or Pappa Cisse - teams can't control themselves.

What the Salary Cap does is keep the cost of the average American player down. Is Chris Wingert really worth 140k per year? No way. But in a more open system, Kreis probably pays him $14 Million (just kidding). It protects the owners from themselves.

The best thing that MLS can do is start removing the restrictions from the higher paid players. More DPs, more Homegrowns, more Generation Adidas and the Core DP idea that has been thrown around. Spend the money on the talent, keep your costs down with the run of the mill replacement level player, and this league will grow.
I like the salary cap I just think it needs to be higher so we can get more Iraola's in the league. BTW I just want to post how fucking excited I am about this guy. Pirlo is taking away some of the attention that needs to be placed on this signing.

I like the salary cap I just think it needs to be higher so we can get more Iraola's in the league. BTW I just want to post how fucking excited I am about this guy. Pirlo is taking away some of the attention that needs to be placed on this signing.

If we were Portland, for instance, this would be a big deal. Iraola is a good signing for the league. I'm hoping he can have the same type of impact, both from a performance and leadership perspective, as Liam Ridgewell.

Reactions: SayWhat44
If we were Portland, for instance, this would be a big deal. Iraola is a good signing for the league. I'm hoping he can have the same type of impact, both from a performance and leadership perspective, as Liam Ridgewell.
We'll I hope he doesn't get himself stupidly sent off days before a rivalry game.

Reactions: edurban and Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.