Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salary cap is the one thing I hope never goes away. I like the parity. Having the same two-three teams winning every year purely because they're the richest isn't that fun to me.

I would like a system with a luxury tax. Let us and LA spend $30 Million on salaries. But for every dollar over X, we pay a luxury tax. That money then has to be spent by the clubs who choose to not go over a certain salary threshold. There should be salary caps and salary FLOORS for some of these clubs. What Philly and Colorado do is embarassing.

I would like a system with a luxury tax. Let us and LA spend $30 Million on salaries. But for every dollar over X, we pay a luxury tax. That money then has to be spent by the clubs who choose to not go over a certain salary threshold. There should be salary caps and salary FLOORS for some of these clubs. What Philly and Colorado do is embarassing.

This would be the best system.

Reactions: Kjbert

philly mind as well buy two philly cheese steaks and pair them together up top. Could distract some hungry defenders at least.

So it looks like the announcement won't be today. Expecting it to be tomorrow. So will it be...
- Before 12 PM?
- Between 12 PM - 2 PM?
- Between 2 PM - 4 PM?
- Between 4 PM - 6 PM?
- After 6 PM?

I think that would probably be even worse than just getting rid of the salary cap completely. Because very few teams would be able to pay the tax. And it encourages the other owners to be as cheap as possible because they get free money. So you'd still end up with a situation where a few teams are blowing out everyone else financially.

I think that would probably be even worse than just getting rid of the salary cap completely. Because very few teams would be able to pay the tax. And it encourages the other owners to be as cheap as possible because they get free money. So you'd still end up with a situation where a few teams are blowing out everyone else financially.

Which is why a salary floor is important.

It needs to be coupled with a salary floor.

There will probably always be a salary cap, but I love the fact that homegrown players don't count. With homegrowns and DP's, there are two very different avenues for teams to build above and beyond the average roster. Anyone is welcome to develop a competitive roster internally. You can also attempt to buy a roster, but with limited spots it will only make you good, not great.

The thing to watch is the evolution of free agency. I expect it to eventually settle around 6 years of MLS play for homegrowns, plus the removal of free agency for foreign signings and all that "discovery list" bullshit around it.

Which is why a salary floor is important.

More than anything, they need a plan. Why the hell did the owners seem so caught off guard by the players asking for free agency? With a growing league, any large scale changes are only going to get my difficult, and it doesn't seem like they even have a roadmap. It's just this patchwork rulebook that is eventually going to require massive cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.