Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this thread. It's all over the place now. It should be renamed to just "The Pirlo Thread". If you think about the context of this thread...the whole circus around this 30+ day Pirlo signing, the rumors, the sightings, the ups & downs...this will be a significant part of our teams history from our inaugural season. It's taken a life of its own and it's pretty cool. We're very lucky. Think of the poor die-hard Colorado fan for example that has nothing going on and no one to talk to.

Now back to the salary cap lol.

The ESPN announcement of switching Sunday's game amongst a few others from ESPN 2 to ESPN is significant. Not too long ago, you'd be hard pressed to even be able to find a MLS game televised at all. If this momentum continues and the TV deals get greater, you can theoretically do a similar model to the NFL. Profit sharing that TV money to create a higher salary cap. That keeps the foundation of "ever team has a chance" but also forces teams to spend to compete. It's not a perfect system, but some variation of it could work for MLS.

I would like a system with a luxury tax. Let us and LA spend $30 Million on salaries. But for every dollar over X, we pay a luxury tax. That money then has to be spent by the clubs who choose to not go over a certain salary threshold. There should be salary caps and salary FLOORS for some of these clubs. What Philly and Colorado do is embarassing.

Just like baseball. And someone suggested not having a salary cap would eliminate parity but just look at baseball. There's always a wide variety of teams in the playoffs each and every year and up until recently there were different teams winning the World Series consistently.

Reactions: Kjbert
I love this thread. It's all over the place now. It should be renamed to just "The Pirlo Thread". If you think about the context of this thread...the whole circus around this 30+ day Pirlo signing, the rumors, the sightings, the ups & downs...this will be a significant part of our teams history from our inaugural season. It's taken a life of its own and it's pretty cool. We're very lucky. Think of the poor die-hard Colorado fan for example that has nothing going on and no one to talk to.

Now back to the salary cap lol.

The ESPN announcement of switching Sunday's game amongst a few others from ESPN 2 to ESPN is significant. Not too long ago, you'd be hard pressed to even be able to find a MLS game televised at all. If this momentum continues and the TV deals get greater, you can theoretically do a similar model to the NFL. Profit sharing that TV money to create a higher salary cap. That keeps the foundation of "ever team has a chance" but also forces teams to spend to compete. It's not a perfect system, but some variation of it could work for MLS.

Honestly, when I first created this thread a month ago, I thought the rumors were all bullshit and we'd never get the magical Andrea Fuckin' Pirlo. Amazing what has transpired over the last 30 days.

We truly are lucky.

It's been a hell of a lot more fun than arguing about the comings and mostly goings of -- that other guy -- might show up some day.

I have never purchased a single follower on NYCFCWatch and that is the God's honest truth. NYCFC have 170k. Why can 20k of those not like my work enough to follow me?

Now "The Pirlo Thread" has officially become the looney bin lol.

That's just someone's opinion. Some people like your Twitter account some don't. I'm not one of your followers and don't intend to be for my own reasons. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to be taken seriously as one of the unofficial NYCFC news outlets, don't come on a forum and call someone out that hurt your feelings. You're gonna have a lot more stuff thrown your way than that. So buck up and deal with it...show why you have legit 20k followers through your work, not through bickering. I mean that sincerely.

Wingert is your back-up CB. Totally useable, replacement level player.

I loved the idea from Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan about Nemec being a CB. Makes a lot of sense, especially in MLS.
To me, Wingert is replacement level at LB. He's toxic waste at CB. Those 5 minutes against Cosmos exposed him so much, he probably hasn't had a good night's sleep since then. Anyone
Gio is absolutely right, the first thing they need to change is the damn salary cap. This isn't the NBA. If MLS wants to become a power league one day the salary cap needs to change or even disappear because they don't make it easy for foreign players to come to the league because they're pushing so hard to make USMNT worthy players but you can't do that if you don't have experience and knowledge from difference leagues finding it difficult to come play in the states. Players like Giovinvo, Villa, Gerrard, Pirlo, and Lampard can set the bar for MLS and really turn it into a power league in the future.
There are, at least, a couple of different takes on this. The obvious one is easy and well documented. The more interesting take is that MLS is going to be in prime position to scoop up so many good players it will become a defacto champions league in and of itself.

Will it happen tomorrow? I doubt it. Is it reasonable conjecture? Yes. I believe so.

Despite being one of the folks against our measly salary cap for now, I do see the long play. And I think it is rather sly.

MLS, with its poor wage restrictions, is already becoming the most coveted league in our hemisphere. That's nothing to scoff at.

We are Einhorning our way into a massive global role. CFG obviously sees it. As a finance guy, I see it. We and CFG are not building just a team. And MLS isn't building just a league. We're laying a foundation for a new football world order.

Just wait. It's coming.

Edited - look up David Einhorn.

So it looks like the announcement won't be today. Expecting it to be tomorrow. So will it be...
- Before 12 PM?
- Between 12 PM - 2 PM?
- Between 2 PM - 4 PM?
- Between 4 PM - 6 PM?
- After 6 PM?

Most of the others have been between 10-11 so we are hopefully less than 12 hrs away

To me, Wingert is replacement level at LB. He's toxic waste at CB. Those 5 minutes against Cosmos exposed him so much, he probably hasn't had a good night's sleep since then. Anyone

There are, at least, a couple of different takes on this. The obvious one is easy and well documented. The more interesting take is that MLS is going to be in prime position to scoop up so many good players it will become a defacto champions league in and of itself.

Will it happen tomorrow? I doubt it. Is it reasonable conjecture? Yes. I believe so.

Despite being one of the folks against our measly salary cap for now, I do see the long play. And I think it is rather sly.

MLS, with its poor wage restrictions, is already becoming the most coveted league in our hemisphere. That's nothing to scoff at.

We are Einhorning our way into a massive global role. CFG obviously sees it. As a finance guy, I see it. We and CFG are not building just a team. And MLS isn't building just a league. We're laying a foundation for a new football world order.

Just wait. It's coming.

Edited - look up David Einhorn.

The guy that tried to buy the Mets or something like that?

Oh and I'm not a big Wingert fan. Maybe like you said, a back up fullback, but there's things he does that bother me sometimes. He lets people off the ball slip by him too easily.

That's just someone's opinion. Some people like your Twitter account some don't. I'm not one of your followers and don't intend to be for my own reasons. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you want to be taken seriously as one of the unofficial NYCFC news outlets, don't come on a forum and call someone out that hurt your feelings. You're gonna have a lot more stuff thrown your way than that. So buck up and deal with it...show why you have legit 20k followers through your work, not through bickering. I mean that sincerely.

Zero hurt feelings here just felt I should state I have never purchased followers. NYCFCWatch is just here to collect news for the fans. Your one stop shop for everything NYCFC. Some like it, some don't....I understand the internet will always have people who dislike you even if you are passing out free $100 bills.

The guy that tried to buy the Mets or something like that?

Oh and I'm not a big Wingert fan. Maybe like you said, a back up fullback, but there's things he does that bother me sometimes. He lets people off the ball slip by him too easily.
Yes, the first part of that was apparently a saved draft. My bad.

Reactions: NickA

I wouldn't say he's 'Bickering' and has been a member here longer than the majority of our 1500 members.
If someone said something about you that you don't find to be true I'd expect you to say, hey that's not true. Which is all he did, with no jabs thrown back. Just that it's a false statement.
And I have to agree with him as we both started following NYCFC since the beginning when they had just a couple followers on the first day of being announced. For NYCFC Watch he was able to obtain a lot of those followers by providing information which even writers for this club can't and that's something I can respect.

I wouldn't say he's 'Bickering' and has been a member here longer than the majority of our 1500 members.
If someone said something about you that you don't find to be true I'd expect you to say, hey that's not true. Which is all he did, with no jabs thrown back. Just that it's a false statement.
And I have to agree with him as we both started following NYCFC since the beginning when they had just a couple followers on the first day of being announced. For NYCFC Watch he was able to obtain a lot of those followers by providing information which even writers for this club can't and that's something I can respect.
I think he's a good dude who tries to aggregate news.

I'll never break balls on him beyond family (aka here), but I also don't call it reporting anymore than I do the SBI website.

All of that said, he does a good damn job of spreading our name in social media. So well done, brother.

And this post right here is why I stick around.

And this post right here is why I stick around.
I always respect someone willing to hustle. It's the New York way.

Guys like you help make our brand bigger and better. That makes a difference. Or at least I believe it does.

Eta: doesn't mean I take it all as gospel. But hell, I live in NYC. I'd argue with the Easter Bunny.

Reactions: edurban

Will all due respect Dan, A. Says this, B. Says that, then it gets stupid. I tried to slow it down cause I'm here to talk about NYCFC not some guys Twitter account. How long he's been here is irrelevant. What I think of his Twitter account is irrelevant too. I was giving him sincere constructive criticism in a polite way. Maybe it didn't come off like that.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I'm hearing of reports saying that Pirlo will be playing football in Yankee Stadium and not baseball as previously reported. Also, he will be staying in New York City and not commuting from Italy everyday in CFG's private jet. And yes, he will be paid in cases of wine.

Reactions: Kjbert and Drainyoo
Status
Not open for further replies.