Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to Spurs they got Eriksen with the Bale money, but yeah. Hard to think of a club who have wasted more money in recent years.

If they had sold Eriksen in January, they probably get 35-40 Million? He was sub optimal after the transfer window closed. Good thing is they will be able to keep him now.

Confirmed today that Man City is speaking with Juve about Pogba.

Any chance that the silly season folks in Europe messed up - and the CFG/Juve talks were about Pogba to Man City and not Pirlo to NYCFC?

Reactions: gbservis
Khedira just passed his medical with Juve so hopefully that means less room for Prilo.

Reactions: Kjbert

Any chance that the silly season folks in Europe messed up - and the CFG/Juve talks were about Pogba to Man City and not Pirlo to NYCFC?

Maybe it's like a car deal, Pogba for MCFC is the car and Pirlo to nycfc is the free oil changes for a year they throw in to get the deal done.

I hope you're not getting it from the MEN, the same paper that just a few days ago said Pogba was signing with Barca. They also said he'd go for 45 million, that's pretty laughable.

In an interview just yesterday Marotta said that he hasn't talked to anyone about Pogba and that they have no desire to sell him unless he puts in a request, but he did make some hints that Pirlo could leave.

Reactions: Kjbert
Watching this great highlight video of Pirlo....and it made me think about...that we have this fantastic player in Villa and nobody can get him the damn ball correctly or anticipate a run. It's a shame, what a waste. That is why we need someone that can architect this team. Whether it is Pirlo or not...we need someone like him. Imagine him feeding Villa, working it up the pitch with Lampard or dropping the ball right in front of a speeding Shelton. Yes our CB's stink, but sometimes the best defense is an awesome offense.

Watching this great highlight video of Pirlo....and it made me think about...that we have this fantastic player in Villa and nobody can get him the damn ball correctly or anticipate a run. It's a shame, what a waste. That is why we need someone that can architect this team. Whether it is Pirlo or not...we need someone like him. Imagine him feeding Villa, working it up the pitch with Lampard or dropping the ball right in front of a speeding Shelton. Yes our CB's stink, but sometimes the best defense is an awesome offense.

Hi vision and accuracy are unmatched. He's a damn magician. Lord of the dark arts. It makes me sad knowing that he'll never represent Gli Azzurri again. I hope we get to see more of him in a NYCFC uniform. Him feeding to Villa will change the course of this team.

Totally agree about the offense over defense. If player is under 25 and excels at all facets of the game they are in Europe. Most players in MLS are there because they have at least one issue with their game. The most common in my opinion is the inability to finish (See most of our team and the display the Fire put on the last time we played them as examples). In the MLS there are very few teams with the ability to score 2-3 goals per game night after night, no matter how poorly the opposing teams defense is. The players just blow to many good chances. If we fielded a line up with the fire power of Prilo, Lampard, and Villa and consistently scored multiple goals per game we would win a lot more than we would loose no matter what our defense looked like.

Totally agree about the offense over defense. If player is under 25 and excels at all facets of the game they are in Europe. Most players in MLS are there because they have at least one issue with their game. The most common in my opinion is the inability to finish (See most of our team and the display the Fire put on the last time we played them as examples). In the MLS there are very few teams with the ability to score 2-3 goals per game night after night, no matter how poorly the opposing teams defense is. The players just blow to many good chances. If we fielded a line up with the fire power of Prilo, Lampard, and Villa and consistently scored multiple goals per game we would win a lot more than we would loose no matter what our defense looked like.

If you look around the league, most of the defenses can't mark and don't know how to position themselves. Yes our defense is subpar, but even as it is, it's not like we've given up a ton of goals. That's because opponents can't finish. If we'd been able to score a few more goals, we'd could possibly be around .500. We need offense more than defense right now.

Last edited:

Pirlo would completely change the complexion of this team. There's really not a better candidate for "aging ringer who saves a MLS season." He's an absolutely archetypal fit for the Beckerman role in the Kreis 4-4-2. I can't think of two attainable players that would help this team more than Pirlo, and both would be a stretch.

If you look around the league, most of the defenses can't mark and don't know how to position themselves. Yes our defense is subpar, but even as it is, it's not like we've given up a ton of goals. That's because opponents can't finish. If we'd been able to score a few more goals, we'd could possibly be around .500. We need offense more than defense right now.
Yes, yes, yes, this. Being totally blunt, thinking we need a DP defender requires a fundamental misunderstanding of how to win MLS matches.
However, a deep lying playmaker like Pirlo both organizes the defense and improves the attack. He makes everyone on the field more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.