Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pass, at least for us. Anyone that mentions MLS in the same breath as Qatar is just looking for a paycheck. No interest in that. That and he's just not a good dude.

Just read that article. I would not want someone on our team that would move his wife and daughters to any of the worlds many women hating countries

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC needs to get discovery rights of Ronaldo now and keep it til his contract runs out. When it comes time for ronaldo to move. Getting him needs to be #1 on our to do list

Have you seen United's fanbase? I think they're the most supported club in the world, or up there with Barca/Madrid. I think more kids worldwide would want his jersey if he was a United player than kids in the United States would want it if he played for a random MLS team. Stars do fill stadiums, but it's still very hard to convert kids to like soccer, which is all kids like in other countries. Jordan didn't make me like basketball, want to go to a basketball game or buy a basketball jersey. Same with Jeter and baseball and Brady and football. I don't think a player like Ronaldo coming would make people that don't like soccer go to games or buy jerseys, so his jerseys would be bought by people already soccer fans, which is a whole lot less people than are Manchester United fans.

Regardless, he will still be a top 3-5 player in the world at that time barring a serious injury. Can the MLS really get a player that good, while they could still offer their services to any team in the world?

Edit- I know it's hard to tell, but I just read online United's fanbase is around 600,000,000 people? Less than 2 million people watched the MLS cup final last year. I know not every Man U fan will buy a jersey, and more people than just watched the cup final will get a jersey. But you can't underestimate United's global appeal.

It's about the new fans. Largest economy in the world.

NYCFC needs to get discovery rights of Ronaldo now and keep it til his contract runs out. When it comes time for ronaldo to move. Getting him needs to be #1 on our to do list

Im not sure if its still like this, but I remember reading a few years ago that discovery rights only last an x amount of time, so we can't just place discover rights on messi and ronaldo now and they are ours.

mls is a very complicated system.

Also, a club like fuckall united gets essentially no marginal economic gain from him. And most importantly, CR7 gets no gain for it. Dude will play in MLS, write it down. No question about it.

The U.S. is the only market that can help him "blow up" beyond soccer stardom. Fucker would be on every commercial out there. And yes, I'm americentric. We have more money than anyone else. And that ain't changing any time too soon.

Reactions: Kjbert
Im not sure if its still like this, but I remember reading a few years ago that discovery rights only last an x amount of time, so we can't just place discover rights on messi and ronaldo now and they are ours.

mls is a very complicated system.
Yes they would have to renew the claim once it ran out, but I believe that the team that had the "discovery rights" on the player last gets first claim of them again. That's why I would say it would be nice to get them now, that way it won't cost a fortune to buy the rights from a different MLS team when it comes time.

Yes they would have to renew the claim once it ran out, but I believe that the team that had the "discovery rights" on the player last gets first claim of them again. That's why I would say it would be nice to get them now, that way it won't cost a fortune to buy the rights from a different MLS team when it comes time.

Someone probably has discovery rights on Ronaldo already, no? It's not like we just noticed that he's pretty good at this soccer thing.

Someone probably has discovery rights on Ronaldo already, no? It's not like we just noticed that he's pretty good at this soccer thing.
Oh for sure someone already does, all the more reason to get the rights now when it is cheaper. Cuz as of right now it's looking like a certainty that he is coming in the future. That price is only going to get more expensive as time goes on

It's so fucking stupid. The Crew can put a discovery claim on Ronaldo knowing damn well he wouldnt be caught dead in Ohio and can hold him for ransom.

I don't know how long this new CBA will last, but it's very possible that by the time 2018 comes around, we could be in a new round of labor negotiations with a much more wide open league. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Arthur Blanks (Atlanta 2017) and Tom Penns (LAFC 2017) of the world didn't buy into a league that would restrict them from paying top dollar for both domestic and foreign talent. It might not be in this CBA (I actually doubt it will), but there will be no "discovery" or "USMNT allocation" in the future. It will be highest bidder.

Also, a club like fuckall united gets essentially no marginal economic gain from him. And most importantly, CR7 gets no gain for it. Dude will play in MLS, write it down. No question about it.

The U.S. is the only market that can help him "blow up" beyond soccer stardom. Fucker would be on every commercial out there. And yes, I'm americentric. We have more money than anyone else. And that ain't changing any time too soon.

And this is the key. Theirry Henry is already on Gillette commercials. Great player, but not a transendant commercial talent.

Cristiano Ronaldo is a global superstar the likes we haven't seen since Michael Jordan. To whomever said it would be like Pele, that is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.