Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the Soccer Don would go for a loan move, but who knows? He shut down the Sacha Klejstan loan last year.

I was thinking maybe Milner. Although I'm sure ppl on these boards wouldn't be that excited about having milner on loan, there are deff worst dps in mls right now. Plus, he has stated he wanted to come to mls.
or Demichelis.
Not a chance. City still have reservations over playing Mangala in key games and Demichelis has been MCFC's best centre-back this season, while Milner is probably in the top 3 most popular players amongst the fans (with Aguero and Zabaleta). Both of their contracts' also run out at the end of the season, so MCFC would effectively be releasing them.

(As for the potential of them signing at the end of their contract) I believe Milner has a lot of ambition (and better offers from Serie A, La Liga and the Premier League) and the perception of players in England of MLS isn't exactly great. Also, MCFC are trying very hard to give him a new contract and he'd sooner stay in Manchester than move to New York I feel.
Demichelis, on the other hand, I could definitely see joining MLS, but if City offers him another year then he'd probably take it.

The only players I could see MCFC letting go right now are Jovetic (if they sign Jay Rodriguez/Lacazette or someone like that), Boyata and Sinclair. And of those, only Sinclair (maybe Boyata, but he's not worth DP wages) would come the NYCFC.

Reactions: Kjbert
I really don't want Demichelis. I want a winger or a Striker who can hold up play.

But maybe I'm wrong and a rock solid CB allows us to take more chances offensively. The game is changing in MLS.

I really don't want Demichelis. I want a winger or a Striker who can hold up play.

But maybe I'm wrong and a rock solid CB allows us to take more chances offensively. The game is changing in MLS.
Pellegrini will more than likely offer him another year at MCFC after the end of the season anyway.

From the looks of things, it seems Reyna and Kreis are targeting a defensive midfielder as a 3rd DP.

Was thinking Sinclair as well... and man would he take the MLS by storm... hes not a world beater but he can really revive his career here getting regular playing time and building his confidence back up... not sure any RB would be able to keep pace with him on the left flank

You guys dripping into your Hanes over the Lampards or other old re-treads are missing the paradigm shift.

Yeah, if it's a world class player in his early thirties who still has 2 or more years at near peak level, sign him up. But I think more and more, MLS is going to steal the mid-20s guys who are just out of UCL starter range. That is what gets me excited.

Only 3 guys deserve the old man contract. Dare to, Hair Gel, Messi. That's it. And I am willing to bet MLS gets at least one of them well before the rest of the world would expect.

My bet would be Zlatan for the right price. Cristiano will play here. Would love it to be at the end of his current deal. With him it's a matter of when not if. Zlatan is a mercenary.

Who knows with Messi. One day he's leaving because he's sick of the management or he's escaping the tax man.

Reactions: Gene
I believe there are two Arsenal CMs free this year. Both have played DM reasonably well although you could argue that they haven't done what Arsenal needs - which is play a destroyer role. Arteta and Flamini would be fantastic here. Neither of them are sexy names and that would disappoint me. But it's about winning.

I also agree with the sentiment that this league is going after the fringe UCL players. I don't think you can overpay all of them - but if you can get a guy whose a rotation player - the Schurrles, Nasris and Flaminis...you can build an incredible league. It's just a matter of whether that is doable with the current wage structure.

My bet would be Zlatan for the right price. Cristiano will play here. Would love it to be at the end of his current deal. With him it's a matter of when not if. Zlatan is a mercenary.

Who knows with Messi. One day he's leaving because he's sick of the management or he's escaping the tax man.
Think Messi will go to Argentina when he leaves Barca, unless like you say, he's forced out for some reason sooner than semi-retirement age.

But I agree with Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan , the next step for the league is to get players that are very promising, that can still develop some in the league, and are players teams challenging for UCL places would want.

I can already see MLS taking players away from the French and Italian leagues, teams just have to be smart to pick the right players, especially as long as there is a 3 player DP. If the MLS can slowly fill the league with better players to replace the top players in the league, which then replace the worst players in the league, then teams can push on and get the real quality.

I think the focus should be to raise the bottom level of the MLS which will raise the top level way faster than getting a few older players on the top teams.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
You guys dripping into your Hanes over the Lampards or other old re-treads are missing the paradigm shift.

Yeah, if it's a world class player in his early thirties who still has 2 or more years at near peak level, sign him up. But I think more and more, MLS is going to steal the mid-20s guys who are just out of UCL starter range. That is what gets me excited.

Only 3 guys deserve the old man contract. Dare to, Hair Gel, Messi. That's it. And I am willing to bet MLS gets at least one of them well before the rest of the world would expect.

Likely CR7 will be in the MLS ( at NYCFC.... ) in 2018, after the WC in Russia.

I'm not sure, he will only be 32/33, and with his work ethic and dediction I can see him being in the top 3 players in the world still. I mean, he is getting better and better ever season, and when players like that eventually do decline it's gradual (unless they're Brazillian or Torres) so even if he started declining this season or next season, which I don't think he will, then he should still be good enough to play for basically any team in the world. Not to mention there will be teams lining up regardless of his ability just for how marketable he is. I see him in the MLS one day, but it might be a while because I think Ronaldo is going to have a long long career.

Cristiano is a brand. He's Lebron. I don't think there a lot of guys out there that the casual sports fan would go see. The guy who is an NFL fan isn't going to see Frank Lampard. But his kid will make him buy tickets for Cristiano. And make him buy the jersey and cleats.

He's worth 50 Million a year to MLS after a World Cup

That's a fairly sure bet. If he wins another title or two, it may be before then. LAFC or Beckham FC could make a godfather offer. And we know he's narcissistic enough to want to be The Man.

Cristiano is a brand. He's Lebron. I don't think there a lot of guys out there that the casual sports fan would go see. The guy who is an NFL fan isn't going to see Frank Lampard. But his kid will make him buy tickets for Cristiano. And make him buy the jersey and cleats.

He's worth 50 Million a year to MLS after a World Cup
But he will still be worth that to every other league in the world, which will be the problem. If he goes home to United he is selling a whole lot more shirts and cleats than if he was in a Galaxy jersey.

Not so sure about that. Every kid in America would want one.
Have you seen United's fanbase? I think they're the most supported club in the world, or up there with Barca/Madrid. I think more kids worldwide would want his jersey if he was a United player than kids in the United States would want it if he played for a random MLS team. Stars do fill stadiums, but it's still very hard to convert kids to like soccer, which is all kids like in other countries. Jordan didn't make me like basketball, want to go to a basketball game or buy a basketball jersey. Same with Jeter and baseball and Brady and football. I don't think a player like Ronaldo coming would make people that don't like soccer go to games or buy jerseys, so his jerseys would be bought by people already soccer fans, which is a whole lot less people than are Manchester United fans.

Regardless, he will still be a top 3-5 player in the world at that time barring a serious injury. Can the MLS really get a player that good, while they could still offer their services to any team in the world?

Edit- I know it's hard to tell, but I just read online United's fanbase is around 600,000,000 people? Less than 2 million people watched the MLS cup final last year. I know not every Man U fan will buy a jersey, and more people than just watched the cup final will get a jersey. But you can't underestimate United's global appeal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.