Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what is going to be the "max" on our DPs. What is Villa? $8mil? Frank must be around there. Don't see why we couldn't give that to another someone like De Jong. $8 Mil would get you the end of the bench in Manchester.

I think it's trickier to convince players to leave Europe than most people think. Different players value it different amounts, but there's definitely a prestige value to playing there.

We have a limited amount of DP spots that we need to be careful with, and European players have a limited amount of interest in coming here, so finding the right match is much tougher than just throwing money at people.

I think it's trickier to convince players to leave Europe than most people think. Different players value it different amounts, but there's definitely a prestige value to playing there.

We have a limited amount of DP spots that we need to be careful with, and European players have a limited amount of interest in coming here, so finding the right match is much tougher than just throwing money at people.
Part of the the Reason I agree with Taylor Twellman on this. MLS Should target more top South American talent along with US talent Not just the top Euro Players.

Reactions: Kjbert and BxLio91
Part of the the Reason I agree with Taylor Twellman on this. MLS Should target more top South American talent along with US talent Not just the top Euro Players.

Agreed.

Many MLS executives are stuck in the mindset that we need to draw fans by putting recognizable names on the field. Still true to an extent, but getting less true every day (winning matters most), and those last to change are going to be left behind. Unfortunately, our brass don't seem too forward thinking on the matter.

The whole point is the mls is not attracting top European players its attracting absolute rubbish ernshaw,ridge well,Doyle etc and players who have been good players whose careers are over in Europe.

Agreed.

Many MLS executives are stuck in the mindset that we need to draw fans by putting recognizable names on the field. Still true to an extent, but getting less true every day (winning matters most), and those last to change are going to be left behind. Unfortunately, our brass don't seem too forward thinking on the matter.
MLS Needs to become the destination league for this hemisphere (along with liga MX) picture if Messi, James, Nymar, Kun Aguero come to MLS and not going to Europe.

I just want someone worth the money that will fight day in and day out and produce results. I don't care if I've never heard of him. It's time the club stops caring about star power or selling tickets and starts winning. Winning brings in all the glory.

Last edited:
I think that MLS in time can attract young talents from countries like Brazil and Argentina, instead of them heading directly to Europe. We have seen players like Altidore, Giovinco, Bradley and Dempsey going to MLS, even though they play on a high level of football and will for years. Sure the americans have a connection to the league. But who would have thought that Gio would join MLS in the age that he is for a couple of years ago? As the league starts to gain reputation also the players with higher reputation and talent will join the league.

Reactions: Kjbert

The thing is that City hasn't shown that they will throw around money. So far, they've got one big DP on the books, and that's it.

So until they've filled all three spots with talent, and they've shown us commitment by sending some young talent our way on loan, I'm operating under the assumption that we're on our own here.

Our back line needs help. I wouldn't be surprised if our next pick up is a great defender. I think a DP in each position , back, mid and front wouldn't be such a bad idea. The expertise and education that they could provide would be worth it alone.

The thing is that City hasn't shown that they will throw around money. So far, they've got one big DP on the books, and that's it.

So until they've filled all three spots with talent, and they've shown us commitment by sending some young talent our way on loan, I'm operating under the assumption that we're on our own here.
Who realistically if you threw money at them apart from fading stars at this point do you think would come ?

Reactions: NYCFC914
Who realistically if you threw money at them apart from fading stars at this point do you think would come ?
I don't enjoy playing the name game as much as many here do. It's totally subjective, and I don't know of the interest of specific individuals in playing in MLS. It's certainly not for everyone, but Toronto's done better roster-building with (supposedly) fewer resources.

There are more Giovincos out there. There's some great young US talent that you can look at - a guy like Emerson Hyndman could be a lynchpin for this club for the next eight to ten years. Lee Nguyen is restless at New England - maybe you can work a trade. Danny Williams is in the championship right now and is exactly the kind of defensive midfielder we're looking for.

The point is that we don't need top level talent to compete, but we need guys who are reliable starters. Due to MLS' arcane salary cap rules, the DP is the most effective way to get that done. The fact that we've only filled one tells me that either:

1. City doesn't know how to build a team in MLS with such strict roster constricts in place, or
  2. City isn't particularly interested in winning this year.
  3. City sees the designated player spot as one to sell tickets rather than find an effective player.
Any or all of these three could be true. I'm honestly guessing "all of the above."

Our back line needs help. I wouldn't be surprised if our next pick up is a great defender. I think a DP in each position , back, mid and front wouldn't be such a bad idea. The expertise and education that they could provide would be worth it alone.
While I agree that we need help in the defense in a bad, bad way, I'm confident that we can pick up a couple of MLS-ready defenders on frees during the summer, if they try hard enough. It doesn't take a DP to separate yourself from the pack defensively in MLS - most of the defensive DPs you look at in the league are way, way overpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.