Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any idea how much Tefu should cost? Should there still be money left over for a decent striker?
Believe it's a free transfer. No idea on the wages.

Edit: Actually found something here.

Per this article, he wanted his salary doubled, but he wasn't making six digits for the Kaiser Chiefs. If that's USD, that means he was making less than 100K, and would probably take about the same to play for us.

If that's in South African Rands, though, he was making less than 8262.35 USD a year.

Per the article: “Tefu has, all along, not been on a six figure salary and is not even amongst the top eight earners at the club at the moment, which is why he is demanding double his salary so as to be amongst the top five earners at the club, with the likes of Siphiwe ‘Shabba’ Tshabalala, Itumeleng Khune, Tsepo Masilela and Katlego ‘Killer’ Mphela."

I can't imagine this was the "significant" player. I bet they had this planned and are planning on signing another significant 200-300k player in the mold of a striker later this summer.

Sorry for double posting, but this is really interesting info.

Okay, per the comments of the article, local fans say that he was rumored to make 78000. Here's what's interesting - that's in Rands, which is equivalent to $6,444.63 USD.

He'd get ten times his salary by taking a minimum earners contract in MLS. I doubt he'd take that, but the point is that this may have been a very, very cheap contract.

Edit: Backtracking here a bit - I'm not sure if that R78000 number is yearly, weekly, monthly, or what. If it's weekly, that's $335K - so I'm doubtful that's it. If it's monthly, that's 77328 USD, which is a pretty reasonable number.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Sorry for double posting, but this is really interesting info.

Okay, per the comments of the article, local fans say that he was rumored to make 78000. Here's what's interesting - that's in Rands, which is equivalent to $6,444.63 USD.

He'd get ten times his salary by taking a minimum earners contract in MLS. I doubt he'd take that, but the point is that this may have been a very, very cheap contract.

Woah, did I get a decimal point wrong? Shit that's cheap.

Reactions: Kjbert
Woah, did I get a decimal point wrong? Shit that's cheap.
Like my edit says, I'm backtracking just a bit - that could have been a monthly or biweekly number. I'm thinking, though, at best, that's a monthly number, which puts him around 70K US per year. Even if we double his contract, you're looking at 150K, tops.

Considering he wasn't one of the top 8 earners on his club, my overall point is that, if this transfer actually happened, I doubt it was an altogether expensive contract.

Edit:

Continuing to read through these comments, and others are saying that a regional rival was offering him R360,000. That'd be an outrageous number for a weekly or biweekly rate considering the median salary for the league. So y'all, I think that's just an obnoxiously low yearly or monthly wage for the best player in the league.

I think we might have grabbed this guy for peanuts.

Edit 2: Another comment in the thread confirmed that wages are reported monthly. So my best estimate based on what we're paying him, with a roughly doubled salary, would be around $100-120K USD.

Last edited:
It'll be a weekly number I'd have thought, that's how sports wages are usually reported in most places.
He wanted double his (approx) 80,000R p/w. That would be 160,000 = 8.3 Million p/a.
8.3M rands = $69,000

Still pretty cheap salary.

Reactions: PB3 and Kjbert
It'll be a weekly number I'd have thought, that's how sports wages are usually reported in most places.
He wanted double his (approx) 80,000R p/w. That would be 160,000 = 8.3 Million p/a.
8.3M rands = $69,000

Still pretty cheap salary.

Is your math right there? I ran what you ran and got $687,350.64. So a decimal place over. That, coupled with the comments I've seen, tells me it's a monthly rate.

Believe it's a free transfer. No idea on the wages.

Edit: Actually found something here.

Per this article, he wanted his salary doubled, but he wasn't making six digits for the Kaiser Chiefs. If that's USD, that means he was making less than 100K, and would probably take about the same to play for us.

If that's in South African Rands, though, he was making less than 8262.35 USD a year.
Wages seem to be ~$146k annually.

For what it's worth: the person who reported this originally Robert Marwara just retweeted the account so I guess it's legit?

eh. Know nothing about this league, except that...I know nothing about this league. Could be a league worse than the USL for all we know.

Interesting that they would get the best defensive player in that league - but this is also a guy who didn't make the World Cup Squad in 2010 and has only made 8 international appearances.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Status
Not open for further replies.