Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
MLS has a clear system that all teams can use the way they want.
Yeah, I don't agree with you on that one, Tom. The rules in MLS are so vague that you need a PHD and have served as Don Garber's intern to fully understand them.

And teams that actually want to spend are restricted by Bob Kraft, the Hunts, and the old guard. It's a very regressive model, MLS.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
beat me to it, was just going to post spanish tweets saying similar things. 7-10million euros is what villareal want for him.

but if they already have three how can they add a fourth DP?
Scenario 1: They pay down Omar Gonzalez's wages and make him a non-DP
Scenario 2: They let one of their DPs go
Scenario 3: MLS add 4th DP spot

In any case they would probably have to loan Giovani out for the rest of the MLS season.

Reactions: The Toe and Kjbert
Yeah, I don't agree with you on that one, Tom. The rules in MLS are so vague that you need a PHD and have served as Don Garber's intern to fully understand them.

And teams that actually want to spend are restricted by Bob Kraft, the Hunts, and the old guard. It's a very regressive model, MLS.
Just because we don't know the rules doesn't mean there aren't any. If MLS was rigging the vote box, Bradley and Altidore would not be in TO.

No one is limiting our spending either. We are 1st year in the league and will have the highest salaries in the league.

In any case they would probably have to loan Giovani out for the rest of the MLS season.

is three even likely, i keep hearing there will be "changes" but nothing yet id assume they have to mention something once window opens.

i dontk now if Omar Gonzalez would be ok on getting paid less.

Just because we don't know the rules doesn't mean there aren't any. If MLS was rigging the vote box, Bradley and Altidore would not be in TO.

No one is limiting our spending either. We are 1st year in the league and will have the highest salaries in the league.
The salary cap is $3.5 million a team, and you're saying no one is limiting our spending? Come on, man. That's just not true.

Transfer fees are strongly, strongly discouraged in MLS, and they're a reality of play overseas. The allocation system is laughable, and no one has any idea how much allocation money is spread around or spent. It's a system that is literally built to curb investment from ownership. That's not exaggeration - it's a stated feature of the single entity MLS model.

Yes, our spending is seriously limited by MLS structure.

I assume #1.

They aren't letting Keane or Gerrard go, and moving Gonzalez would be pretty shocking to me.

I also highly doubt MLS would play with the transfer rules in the middle of a transfer window. That's too crazy, even for MLS.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
beat me to it, was just going to post spanish tweets saying similar things. 7-10million euros is what villareal want for him.

but if they already have three how can they add a fourth DP?

Anyone know what Gonzalez makes? Any chance they can buy him down with allocation dollars similar to what we did with Mix, to open the DP3 spot?

Edit, sorry for the repeat post, I was too slow.

Anyone know what Gonzalez makes? Any chance they can buy him down with allocation dollars similar to what we did with Mix, to open the DP3 spot?

Omar made 1.25 mill in 2014.

i dontk now if Omar Gonzalez would be ok on getting paid less.

FYI, that's not what "pay down" means in this context. He still earns his $1.25MM, but you can pay some of that with cap room and some with allocation money. Paying some with allocation money "pays down" the amount that goes towards the cap.

$1.25MM according to Wikipedia. That's a lot to pay down, but it seems like teams have been throwing around allocation money this year like it's unlimited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_Player_Rule

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I disagree. If MLS has shown us anything in the past 5-10 years, it is that nothing is too crazy for MLS haha.

This is very true, they pretty much do whatever they want. Look at the JJ blind draw thing they made up on the fly. Add in the giant financial incentive of having a Mexican national team star in the league and I wouldn't be surprised by anything.

Yes, and Jermaine Jones would be in Chicago.

The salary cap is $3.5 million a team, and you're saying no one is limiting our spending? Come on, man. That's just not true.

Transfer fees are strongly, strongly discouraged in MLS, and they're a reality of play overseas. The allocation system is laughable, and no one has any idea how much allocation money is spread around or spent. It's a system that is literally built to curb investment from ownership. That's not exaggeration - it's a stated feature of the single entity MLS model.

how are we spending 20 million then

Investment does not equal player salaries or transfer fees exclusively.

We have a system designed to balance investment between big name international transfers, and investment in local acaedmies and American player development. There is nothing preventing a team from sinking unlimited funds into setting up a world-class academy here in the States.

Omar Gonzalez tried to leave LAG last year.

It's entirely possible that he is being sold to a team in Liga MX. Before his pay day, he wanted to leave. They gave him a new deal to placate him so they didn't lose him on a free. But I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone during this transfer window. Kind of always been in the works.

Villa, Lampard Pirlo all roughly 6mil a piece thats 18mil. Everyone else easily accounts for 2 mil. Dp's will account for roughly 1mil cap hit. Plus you take out the bottom 8 salaries.

The taking out the bottom 8 salaries thing is weird. Theoretically wouldn't the strongest approach to building a team be pay 3 DPs and then divide the remaining cap money evenly and then take $1 off 8 of the salaries? That way you are paying the highest possible $$ to the bottom 8 players and you can get better players from top to bottom of the roster?

Reactions: SayWhat44
The taking out the bottom 8 salaries thing is weird. Theoretically wouldn't the strongest approach to building a team be pay 3 DPs and then divide the remaining cap money evenly and then take $1 off 8 of the salaries? That way you are paying the highest possible $$ to the bottom 8 players and you can get better players from top to bottom of the roster?
Logically yes… but if we were all logical there would be no need for agents.

the only other team rumored to be interested in gio was Monterrey. They have the money but sometimes they dont want to spend or spend too much and then get players that dont pan out then they go back to being cheap again.

Also, been heavily rumored he wants to continue playing with brother not be split. though not sure how much truth there is to that.

Reactions: Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.