Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That just encourages the Sugarmans, Hunt, and Kroenkes to not even bother spending money and just use money they'd get from us, LA and Seattle.

Its not like they would spend much anyway. If thats their prerogative or spending strategy under this hypothetical system then so be it. Not much of an issue. A reasonable level of parity is achieved with a luxury tax but at the same time it doesnt limit teams from spending. The teams that want to spend can still spend and the teams that dont wont. Its fair for everyone. Way better than a ridiculous salary cap system with so many rules, regulations, loopholes, garberbucks, allocation funds, dp rules, and other bureaucratic nonsense that no one knows their ass from their elbow.

Reactions: Paul and FootyLovin
I think we have seen the last of kws but i am sure grabavoys contract is guaranteed. He is a long time mls starter.
Actually before he played for RSL he was a bench warmer at SJ and RSL got him for free when SJ waived him.
And this is why they should just institute a luxury tax. If it cost NYCFC 2 Million to buy another DPS slot and those funds were spread between the lower teams, you're telling me Colorado doesn't get on board with a 250k pay day?
Actually MLS clubs only have 2 regular DP slots. They have to pay a "luxury tax"for the 3rd and that penalty goes equally to all other clubs. Though we are getting to a point where many MLS clubs are using all 3 so everyone is spending and receiving the penalty.

I hope I'm alive (and able to go to games) when the MLS will drop the salary cap and all of these weird player/money restrictions. Unfortunately, that day will only come when TV rights for the MLS are as big as the large sports leagues in this country. It's a Catch-22: you want big players, you need big money...you want big money, you need big players. Imagine the days when top players want to play in the states rather than be in Europe. We're going to be a bilingual country soon so screw the Premier League and La Liga.

Do you think we might have some luxury tax money to spend too?

Actually before he played for RSL he was a bench warmer at SJ and RSL got him for free when SJ waived him.

Actually MLS clubs only have 2 regular DP slots. They have to pay a "luxury tax"for the 3rd and that penalty goes equally to all other clubs. Though we are getting to a point where many MLS clubs are using all 3 so everyone is spending and receiving the penalty.

Its not like they would spend much anyway. If thats their prerogative or spending strategy under this hypothetical system then so be it. Not much of an issue. A reasonable level of parity is achieved with a luxury tax but at the same time it doesnt limit teams from spending. The teams that want to spend can still spend and the teams that dont wont. Its fair for everyone. Way better than a ridiculous salary cap system with so many rules, regulations, loopholes, garberbucks, allocation funds, dp rules, and other bureaucratic nonsense that no one knows their ass from their elbow.
The problem with "it's fair to everyone" is that it feels fair but isn't, especially to the fans. That's the problem with the Mets, actually. The Mets are sort of like the old Man City. They don't have the money to spend and likely won't anytime in the near future, and are only still in the majors because there's no relegation. They're good enough to be a pro baseball team but they're not good enough to win the Series or to even deserve to make the playoffs. They have spots of talent but also holes in their lineup that will hurt them. Yes, they were in first place for a while and could be again, but nobody will be surprised if we finish third.

This the same situation that Man City was in 10 years ago. They were good but not 1st place good. You were happy when they finished in the top half of the table or at least in the top of the bottom half. They could not beat or even play with the top teams for the most part. It was nerve wracking but also exciting, and once you got your 40 points you could enjoy the rest of the season knowing you'd stay up. It felt like your team loyalty was being greatly rewarded when they won, and losses were painful because you needed those points. (Sound familiar?)

And then we got bought and it all changed. Yes, we're now an elite team and have won the league twice in the past four years or so, but you know what? It's just a little boring. People are outraged now when we finish second in the league. Like literally livid this year. I don't quite miss the fear of relegation possibilities but without actual competition who cares in a way? There's absolutely no parity in the Premiere League and if you're a United or Chelsea fan you won't care at all, and now City's in that mix.

Same with the Yankees during their dynasty years. If you were an Orioles fan why even bother watching baseball? You knew the Yankees were going to win because they could buy every player. Whoo hoo the Yankees won another series. I'd love to see a statistical analysis of whether or not that actually hurt the sport of baseball.

So anyway, my point here is that everyone wants to be the Yankees or Chelsea, but personally I'd rather have a league that's more interesting. Sure, I'm still a Man City fan but to be honest although we have a much better team than almost anyone it's not quite as interesting. Yes, City's won now, but in a way having it be purchased rather than earned makes it feel less worthwhile.

And hey guess what? The group that owns Man City owns NYCFC! As a fan I'd love to see Brovsky and his mustache stick around and have everything come together next season. Same with Grabavoy. If your sucky team can pull it together, become a team, play better, and start to win there's nothing that feels better. I realize it's only our first year, but we're headed down that same Man City path where we outspend everyone else by two or three to one. Yes, it's great to have stars, but really the last thing I want next year is to have the Red Bulls away supporters singing "you bought your championship" at us.

The problem with "it's fair to everyone" is that it feels fair but isn't, especially to the fans. That's the problem with the Mets, actually. The Mets are sort of like the old Man City. They don't have the money to spend and likely won't anytime in the near future, and are only still in the majors because there's no relegation. They're good enough to be a pro baseball team but they're not good enough to win the Series or to even deserve to make the playoffs. They have spots of talent but also holes in their lineup that will hurt them. Yes, they were in first place for a while and could be again, but nobody will be surprised if we finish third.

This the same situation that Man City was in 10 years ago. They were good but not 1st place good. You were happy when they finished in the top half of the table or at least in the top of the bottom half. They could not beat or even play with the top teams for the most part. It was nerve wracking but also exciting, and once you got your 40 points you could enjoy the rest of the season knowing you'd stay up. It felt like your team loyalty was being greatly rewarded when they won, and losses were painful because you needed those points. (Sound familiar?)

And then we got bought and it all changed. Yes, we're now an elite team and have won the league twice in the past four years or so, but you know what? It's just a little boring. People are outraged now when we finish second in the league. Like literally livid this year. I don't quite miss the fear of relegation possibilities but without actual competition who cares in a way? There's absolutely no parity in the Premiere League and if you're a United or Chelsea fan you won't care at all, and now City's in that mix.

Same with the Yankees during their dynasty years. If you were an Orioles fan why even bother watching baseball? You knew the Yankees were going to win because they could buy every player. Whoo hoo the Yankees won another series. I'd love to see a statistical analysis of whether or not that actually hurt the sport of baseball.

So anyway, my point here is that everyone wants to be the Yankees or Chelsea, but personally I'd rather have a league that's more interesting. Sure, I'm still a Man City fan but to be honest although we have a much better team than almost anyone it's not quite as interesting. Yes, City's won now, but in a way having it be purchased rather than earned makes it feel less worthwhile.

And hey guess what? The group that owns Man City owns NYCFC! As a fan I'd love to see Brovsky and his mustache stick around and have everything come together next season. Same with Grabavoy. If your sucky team can pull it together, become a team, play better, and start to win there's nothing that feels better. I realize it's only our first year, but we're headed down that same Man City path where we outspend everyone else by two or three to one. Yes, it's great to have stars, but really the last thing I want next year is to have the Red Bulls away supporters singing "you bought your championship" at us.
I agree with a lot here but have to point out that the MLS system has been no more successful than baseball has at spreading championships around. Of 19 cups, 2 teams (LA and DC) have 9, 5 teams combine for 15.

I agree with a lot here but have to point out that the MLS system has been no more successful than baseball has at spreading championships around. Of 19 cups, 2 teams (LA and DC) have 9, 5 teams combine for 15.
Not to mention, I fundamentally bristle at the suggestion of "buying" championships. I find that criticism laughable. What makes you "earn" it? Would it be earned if we redistributed all of the players every year? After all, they are just a resource. It's not fair for one team to have more good players.

Brovsky could play 20 years and have a time machine, and it's never going to all come together. He's just not very (read: any) good. Winning with a shit player feels better? I don't know. Feels luckier for sure. But it ain't going to happen. And he's example number one of an overpaid, undeserving member of the team.

Do you think we might have some luxury tax money to spend too?
Yes we should have that. It along with the expansion allocation money make up the unknowns when it comes to the cap. That's why when Kjbert and NY Dan suggested that even after signing Pirlo we'll still be 200-300k free of the cap I questioned it. How do you know that?

Still doesn't solve the 4th DP slot issue. The only way it might work now is if the club wanting it take a cap hit, and the cap would need to be increased for that to make sense.

Not to mention, I fundamentally bristle at the suggestion of "buying" championships. I find that criticism laughable. What makes you "earn" it? Would it be earned if we redistributed all of the players every year? After all, they are just a resource. It's not fair for one team to have more good players.

Brovsky could play 20 years and have a time machine, and it's never going to all come together. He's just not very (read: any) good. Winning with a shit player feels better? I don't know. Feels luckier for sure. But it ain't going to happen. And he's example number one of an overpaid, undeserving member of the team.
All anyone wants is a clear playing field, and each team is free to operate the way they like in that playing field. Nothing is stopping the Tampa Rays from spending more to get better players, they choose not to, just like the Yankees chose to spend more. Both had success. MLS has a clear system that all teams can use the way they want. I'd much rather spend the money and win than have my team spend the money and lose, like New Jersey did for years with Henry and Cahill. And the worst are the rich owners who cry poverty and don't spend at all in the system. Fans that continue to show up in Colorado and Chicago when the owners show no commitment are losers who are perpetuating the losing.

Well, you do know I picked Brovsky in your honor, right?

All I'm really saying is that I'd rather "suffer" through Shelton and Poku learning the game here and have both of them play for us for 10 or 15 years than to bring in a team full of Tevez's. Tevez did great things at City and won us a championship but it felt like he was just a hired hand who happened to be playing for us. Same sort of thing with Yankees in the Hall of Fame with other teams hats on their statues. They were never "true" Yankees, in a sense.

I really like this whole thread right now and agree with points on both sides. Another example is NBA. Sometimes the dynasties shift but look at any 20 year period and you'll likely see 5 or so champs, salary cap and all.

Fact is parity will never mean a league of 20 teams each competing for the title. You'll always have perennial losers and winners. In Europe you have more categories of competition. Did we win it all, make CL, make Europe, make top half, stay up? Here we have made the playoffs, won the cup, won the supporters shield.

More categories equals more types of excitement for more teams so even without parity you still have an exciting league top to bottom.

As for whether or not I'll like the experience if we win every year, you'll have to ask me in a couple of years.

I agree with that. You want some players that feel like yours that contribute to a championship.

But that doesn't mean that player can't have been bought. Paul Oneill eg felt like a true yankee, but he was acquired.

Yes, I agree, the Paul O'neil example is a good one. Mix could be that type of player if he sticks around and continues to develop. But the current DP approach doesn't lend itself to this. I am not against the current signings but none of the current DP trio are going to be around long enough to develop that relationship with the team and the fans due to age. The approach is good for now, infuse the team with the best talent you can get your hands on to get things up and running. Hopefully in the future though we can get a DP that will be around for more than 3 years max.

Yes we should have that. It along with the expansion allocation money make up the unknowns when it comes to the cap. That's why when Kjbert and NY Dan suggested that even after signing Pirlo we'll still be 200-300k free of the cap I questioned it. How do you know that?

Still doesn't solve the 4th DP slot issue. The only way it might work now is if the club wanting it take a cap hit, and the cap would need to be increased for that to make sense.
Or you just make the Core DP slot amount entirely off-cap. We already know they are willing to exclude some portion of salary from cap calculations, as that is the very definition of a DP.

I had typed a long, thoughtful reply raising several issues about the proposal I make above and other mechanisms available. Then it went bye-bye (thanks, Apple). Maybe I'll try again later.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
Not that he was ever really on NYC's radar, but I did see a few people mention him as a possibility. Cody Cropper has signed with MK Dons of the Championship.

Reactions: Kjbert
NYCFC has spent a lot of time and effort affiliating with top NYC/NYC metro youth clubs. The kids who make the jump to NYCFC will really feel like our players, but that is down the road.

NYCFC has spent a lot of time and effort affiliating with top NYC/NYC metro youth clubs. The kids who make the jump to NYCFC will really feel like our players, but that is down the road.
I'm ready to start singing
"He's one of our own…
He's one of our owwwnnnn…
(Unnamed prospect) he's one of our own!"

Status
Not open for further replies.