Official: Sean Johnson to NYCFC

In terms of salary cap:

2016 Jason Hernandez + $40,000 = 2017 Sean Johnson.

Think of GAM & TAM used = (hopefully) modest transfer fee.

I have seen some glaring SJ howlers, but I have an old school 'strong spine' tactical approach and I like this move.

Anybody know if SJ has a Jamaican passport and whether he might be able to play in England when other Americans can't if he does? Its kind of sad that he hasn't played a minute for us and I am thinking about his transfer value, but its 2016.

I'm not so sure it would be that much. Think about it this way - if ATL wants Guzan, they pretty much needed to unload Johnson no matter what they got back. They definitely couldn't afford to pay 1.25 mil for keepers.
They got at least $100k since it was both GAM and TAM and MLS works in intervals of $50K. That makes SJ effectively a $350k+ keeper for us. That's over-paying. It's also scary because Vieira either annoints him the starter off of video alone, or we have a white elephant backup goalkeeper. That's a hell of a gamble to take for such a high Cap hit.

Reactions: Kjbert
Our floor this season is Lurch who everyone here seems to love or Johnson at serviceable with a ceiling of Johnson at exceptional full potential. Somewhere in between with either is massively better than Saunders at a likely reasonable all-in price for both SJ and EJ. And with the benefit of a playable back-up and helpful competition.

They got at least $100k since it was both GAM and TAM and MLS works in intervals of $50K. That makes SJ effectively a $350k+ keeper for us. That's over-paying. It's also scary because Vieira either annoints him the starter off of video alone, or we have a white elephant backup goalkeeper. That's a hell of a gamble to take for such a high Cap hit.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they made this decision based off more than video alone. Remember that we have had obvious shortcomings at GK since PV arrived, so I am sure that he has been looking closely at SJ and others.
I strongly disagree that 350k+ is overpaying.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that they made this decision based off more than video alone.
I strongly disagree that 350k+ is overpaying.
Pray tell how they could make the decision off more than video? He was under contract so he wouldn't be working out with the team like a free agent. He also didn't have a good season last year, so seeing him up close in games isn't any more meaningful that the video.

I find it interesting how mixed we are on this signing. Usually with a signing we are pretty excited about him and can usually look at only the positives. I think our Defense is at least a little better than Chicagos so he should definitely be an improvement over Saunders. I hope he's a big improvement. But all the same he is an improvement.

In terms of ranking keepers, these guys are absolutely better than Johnson currently:

Howard, Guzan, Hamid, Robles, Rimando, Frei, Blake, Ousted, Bingham.

So at best, he's a middle of the road keeper right now.

The problem is our starter for the most of last year was the worst starting keeper in the league and Eirik is a huge question mark.

Might be a situation where he was the only guy available. May have had to do this deal

Reactions: canchon
In terms of ranking keepers, these guys are absolutely better than Johnson currently:

Howard, Guzan, Hamid, Robles, Rimando, Frei, Blake, Ousted, Bingham.

So at best, he's a middle of the road keeper right now.

The problem is our starter for the most of last year was the worst starting keeper in the league and Eirik is a huge question mark.

Might be a situation where he was the only guy available. May have had to do this deal
I wonder how those guys would look in front of the heinous Chicago defense.

That sounds made up.
Please point me to ANY references of Garber $$ changing hands for less than $50k. All transactions ever reported are a min of $50k. Short of a blurb saying less changed hands, that's the defacto min amount.

Please point me to ANY references of Garber $$ changing hands for less than $50k. All transactions ever reported are a min of $50k. Short of a blurb saying less changed hands, that's the defacto min amount.
Burden to prove that one is on you, I'm afraid.

Burden to prove that one is on you, I'm afraid.
There is zero information in the public realm that shows anything for less than $50k. My original statement is based on that precedent. Anybody else's that says it could be for less is basing their statement on nothing. The burden is on them to show it can be less than $50k.

I don't doubt the $50k minimum, the $50k increment thing is what sounds weird to me.

Also, I don't think we've ever heard any official numbers in any trade ever. We've heard people in the know, some more reputable than others, quote figures, but nothing confirmed, so we really have no idea what to expect.

I find it interesting how mixed we are on this signing. Usually with a signing we are pretty excited about him and can usually look at only the positives. I think our Defense is at least a little better than Chicagos so he should definitely be an improvement over Saunders. I hope he's a big improvement. But all the same he is an improvement.

those against it want joanssen to be the automatic starter since he an play with ball on his feet...while it seems that SJ cant, and his salary is higher than johanssen so they feel we are over paying.

im ok with it....though not sure whata happens to other GK....( saunders gone? rawls exposed in the expansion draft? or let go to USL team again?).

Reactions: JCMore