Patrick Vieira Press Conference Thread

JayH

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Oct 2, 2014
Some interesting snippets to discuss herein.

Footnotes of snippets I found interesting (from both PV and CR) (note I wasn't there, so all impressions are based upon various tweets and updates from others): PV is here because it was the best option, not because it's a MC stepping-stone; NY has its own flavor and energy and it serves no purpose to try to infuse MC into NYC; MLS is better than what soccer snobs think; this team needs to be tougher and more resilient under pressure with a coach who instills that and has a calming presence (dig at JK?); PV will garner the respect of the DPs (dig at JK?); Mix and Poku need to work harder and do better (and be able to take criticism), but they are a big part of the future; more players are on the way in the next couple of weeks; EDS loans will be the last resort.

annoying they didnt show it live. but whatever the important parts seem to be floating around twitter etc. well see if in the next couple of weeks we get the new players that reyna claims he will get.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
annoying they didnt show it live. but whatever the important parts seem to be floating around twitter etc. well see if its two if next couple of weeks we get new players reyna claims he will get.

Most likely they will put it up on the YouTube page in the next few days. It's entirely conceivable that some news publications asked for the right to be able to break the stories from the press conference in article form before it could get out in full to the public at large though.

Cool, I'll be checking it out later on then. Always good to be able to see how people carry themselves during these press conferences rather than just reading about it on twitter.

Reactions: JayH
Now he has been officially unveiled, this is where the hard work starts for Patrick.

It's a big step up for him in terms of management, and unlike the EDS he will be expected to win things, or at least have a winning record. Of course he was a great player, but we have all seen great players don't always make the best managers.

So here is hoping he will be a big success for NYCFC.

From what I've found growing the MLS Media day interviews with Lampard, Pirlo, and Villa the biggest things about Vieira is the respect issue. I don't think these guys respected Kreis when things got bad. They will respect Vieira no matter the outcome of a game or the season because of who Vieira was a player who won everything.

The press conference was held at Yankee Stadium. I'm hoping the field is configured as a soccer pitch now, otherwise Vieira might be coaching NYCFC with some some bad omens.

From what I've found growing the MLS Media day interviews with Lampard, Pirlo, and Villa the biggest things about Vieira is the respect issue. I don't think these guys respected Kreis when things got bad. They will respect Vieira no matter the outcome of a game or the season because of who Vieira was a player who won everything.

100 appearances in Serie A
307 appearances in PL

He's played alongside some of the greats while being a great midfielder himself.

3 Premier League titles with Arsenal
1 Serie A title with Juventus
3 Serie A titles with Inter Milan
1 UEFA Euro title
1 Confederations Cup title

Maybe Kreis has some U.S. clout, but this league is international now. We have a guy that has won in 2 of the top leagues in the world. This is a different team now...we have that 'M.D.I.B.T.Y.' swagger now.

Reactions: Kjbert and Vallos
100 appearances in Serie A
307 appearances in PL

He's played alongside some of the greats while being a great midfielder himself.

3 Premier League titles with Arsenal
1 Serie A title with Juventus
3 Serie A titles with Inter Milan
1 UEFA Euro title
1 Confederations Cup title

Maybe Kreis has some U.S. clout, but this league is international now. We have a guy that has won in 2 of the top leagues in the world. This is a different team now...we have that 'M.D.I.B.T.Y.' swagger now.

1 World Cup

I'm 9 minutes into the video and it sounds like Vieira has no idea about the MLS roster rules and is replying on Claudio and the staff for that part of the league. That being said, I think we all know that Vieira's is a coach and not a manager. However, when it comes to the technical aspects of the MLS game, strategy, etc. I hope he's ready.

EDIT: Finished the video, Claudio said that all roster decisions, players coming in and out are made after speaking with the coaching staff. They're also looking to build a team that is suited to play against the teams they play more, i.e. Eastern Conference foes. As stated elsewhere on Twitter, Man City EDS loanees are not going to be used to build the roster but rather fill it out if necessary.

Also, we can know welcome French media to growing collection of foreign media to NYCFC press conferences.

Last edited: