Poku And The Usmnt?

Poku refused to discuss the topic a couple weeks back on the MLS radio show. Did he change his mind about sharing his intentions since then, or was he simply too careless in talking to a journalist? Hope it's the former . . .

Reactions: Kjbert
Poku refused to discuss the topic a couple weeks back on the MLS radio show. Did he change his mind about sharing his intentions since then, or was he simply too careless in talking to a journalist? Hope it's the former . . .

He probably changed his mind to be invited to the dope ass Americana labor day parties in the Hamptons.

It's possible that Poku didn't answer the question about playing for the U.S. on the radio show because he actually wants to play for Ghana. Perhaps Roberto Abramovitz got things wrong, and conflated Poku's statement about his obtaining U.S. citizenship with a desire to play for the U.S.

Reactions: Jock and Kjbert
It can't be an easy decision to make, and one that could come with some harsh criticism from his home. I know if he does he will find plenty of support from his fans here in NY.

I'm going to sound like Kreis here but pump the brakes on all this Poku and national team discussion. He's had an amazing MLS debut, but needs to show more consistency before any NT discussion should even happen.

Poku doesn't have citizenship yet. If you really want him for the U.S. team, hope that he doesn't continue to blow the doors off MLS (but keeps developing). There are several other Ghana NT players in MLS so you know their FA is aware, and would call him up sooner rather than later. It's hard for a player to turn down a NT call up with the "hope" of gaining citizenship and playing for another NT sometime in the future.

And we all know Klinsy's not high on MLS, so I wouldn't count on him whispering in Poku's ear to wait for the NT and turn down an actual callup if it happens.

He probably changed his mind to be invited to the dope ass Americana labor day parties in the Hamptons.

Bruh Poku's got a bottle of rosè chillin and reservations at the Surf Lodge for the week off after that leak to the press. Hahaha

Reactions: Kjbert
I love the USMNT but from an NYCFC standpoint id rather see him stick with Ghana. Pre-season stories had their people here scouting him before the season even started. I think he would have a better chance at seeing meaningful min much sooner with Ghana than the USMNT. I agree with canchon canchon, as much as we love him I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves thinking he could make the USMNT any time soon. He's also 23, which is young but not that young. He's past the point of being eligible for the U20 or U23 squads so his only shot at seeing action is with the Sr. team.

Reactions: Ryan_Kost12
I love the USMNT but from an NYCFC standpoint id rather see him stick with Ghana. Pre-season stories had their people here scouting him before the season even started. I think he would have a better chance at seeing meaningful min much sooner with Ghana than the USMNT. I agree with canchon canchon, as much as we love him I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves thinking he could make the USMNT any time soon. He's also 23, which is young but not that young. He's past the point of being eligible for the U20 or U23 squads so his only shot at seeing action is with the Sr. team.

Here's the thing, with Ghana having eliminated the USA in two of the past three world cups, I don't want the American dream to be crippled at the hands of Poku. I want him to be a hero to me, not a villain.

Reactions: XIValentin
Why would any USMNT fan want him to play for Ghana over us? I really don't think there is a player in the USMNT player pool like Poku. Even if he is not quite there yet, he may very well be next year. And I would much rather have to support him than have him play against the US.

Reactions: The Toe
Poku's working his way up to being a big time star. He's still so, so young. 5 years from now, there's no knowing where he's going to end up professionally. The sky is the limit -- I would rather have him playing for us than against us.

Then again the Ghana players had to go on strike to get their World Cup salaries.

Reactions: gbservis
What's Poku's foreign player status for MLS? Maybe he's working towards citizenship to enhance his employability in the league by counting as an American.

Poku has a green card and is married to an American citizen (another Ghanan who has dual citizenship). He will be able to play for the USA the moment he gets citizenship. I don't know how long the process takes, but he should be eligible to start the process right now. Also, FIFA has a rule that a player that is a new citizen must have resided in that new country for 5 years in order to play for them. He has already hit that threshold in the USA or will very soon.

It should be noted that I also found another article this month in which Poku says he is ready to play for Ghana. This may be one of those situations where the first country that gives him a chance can lock him down.

http://www.goal.com/en-gh/news/4371...ty-fc-midfielder-poku-ready-for-ghana-call-up

Last edited:
Here's the thing, with Ghana having eliminated the USA in two of the past three world cups, I don't want the American dream to be crippled at the hands of Poku. I want him to be a hero to me, not a villain.
Let's be clear though, U.S. beat Ghana last time, demons exorcised?

Poku's rise has been the feel good story of the season, however I'd still prefer to win the Cup.