NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2024

There are things that the team did consistently during our successful years that I don't or rarely see us doing right now. I don't know if it's an intentional change in the system or if its players executing differently but so many of the things that gave us our identity for a long time are just missing right now. Some examples are:

1. Consistently recycling the ball back to the CBs when we need to reset the offense
2. Playing around confidently at the back with an extended series of passes between our CBs and GK to create space to move forward
3. Extended midfield possession via quick passing triangles to create openings to attack
4. Attackers stretching the field by staying right on the edge of offsides
5. Long cross-field switch passes from Sands when he's playing in a deep pivot

We used to play this high-risk possession-based style that many teams in the league wouldn't dare to attempt and we made teams adapt to us and used it to dictate games. Now it seems like we are still trying to play possession but we are playing it in an ultra-conservative way where the objective is not to make mistakes. Just get the ball upfield, play around with it near the 18 to try to jam it into the box. It takes confidence to take the risks we used to take so I'm sure that's some of it but it also feels like Nick plays a very risk-adverse system and it's hurting us. Even the games when we create a high number of chances it seems like they come from either an exceptional individual effort like a cut-in curler from Fernandez or a mistake in the box by the other team that creates some space. We play conservatively and look for openings as opposed to our old way of dynamically moving the ball all over the field and creating openings.

i think we still do 1 and 2, but maybe more so because we have no ideas vs having a purpose, such as resetting our attacking patterns. we do 5 every once in awhile but definitely not as often as we used to. It used to be like clockwork. now when we do it, it's noticeable as "hey we did it!"

I agree our chances under nick has mainly been more of "oh hey we have a chance" vs "we're gonna tear through this team". I miss when we played the latter style. it was much more fun to watch. At least nick seems to want to press higher now, so that's nice to see. but the lack of attacking patterns and a true creative force on the field with the skill and foresight to play the passes that should be played - it's killing our attack.

Last edited:
Thought it would be fun(slow day at the office) to look at NYCFC FORUM comments from the first two games last season and see what the pundits were thinking. I have two favorites although one is no longer applicable to 2024.

Nashville Feb.25 2023

Pre Match:

Woooooo rebuilding era let's get it!!!

Excited to see where we're going. Excited about all the kids tbh.

I can hear it now. Stop using the eye tests. Look at the numbers. Stop following your “vibes.” You people make me want to take crazy pills.

Post match:

We suck.

There is absolutely no reason to believe they won't give us a good team this year.

…I do think we're that close to being a contender.

It really sucks to watch yesterday’s garbage for 4 more months.

Chicago March 4 2023

“Chicago is awful, and we gave away two points. We have no business tying that team.

We'll be fine, and after the signings we had this week I'm not concerned….”

NYCFC is always a team that improves as the season goes on (their strategy is based on ball possession and timing which improves with reps…)

Team will get better as new players get used to our style and playing with everyone else. I think we'll be just fine….

…Ronny was a great man manager and was able to draw out the best in our guys. Can Nick do the same?

Is there any evidence Pelligrini is any good?

Reactions: FootyLovin
same ranking. more of the same blurb. i feel like these power rankings used to be more entertaining to read...

1709665569151.png

same ranking. more of the same blurb. i feel like these power rankings used to be more entertaining to read...

Steady, no goal suckage offers few laughs. At least 2015 NYCFC could be mocked for its crappy defense, which is always funnier than crappy offense. We did get this in the opening: ". . . and New York City FC struggled in attack. It was truly a week unlike any other."

Reactions: Schwallacus
refers to being happy to see players and the team developing. really nick? :/

alexis going straight for the jugular!

agree with this. either santi or wolf need to play the 10 and stay the 10 role. everything else has to be built around that. when we isolate our playmakers with no space or players to create for, we are doomed to fail.

1711565457283.png

agree with this. either santi or wolf need to play the 10 and stay the 10 role. everything else has to be built around that. when we isolate our playmakers with no space or players to create for, we are doomed to fail.

View attachment 13243
Yup. No excuse not to play this going forward. I don’t care who the LB is.

Reactions: moogoo
My gym has one TV on NY1 all the time, and I've noticed they never cover our games. They're too lazy to even show the final score, which requires two minutes of work after they show Rangers and Knicks scores.

I sent them a note here:
Yeah, on the sports review, NYCFC is usually never covered.

My gym has one TV on NY1 all the time, and I've noticed they never cover our games. They're too lazy to even show the final score, which requires two minutes of work after they show Rangers and Knicks scores.

I sent them a note here:
Kinda annoying that the Rangers get covered but not us. No diss to hockey fans but I’m pretty sure there are more fans of the worlds game in the US now than hockey fans. But sports media is usually ingrained how they have always been.

Kinda annoying that the Rangers get covered but not us. No diss to hockey fans but I’m pretty sure there are more fans of the worlds game in the US now than hockey fans. But sports media is usually ingrained how they have always been.

There may be more soccer fans, but there are not more MLS fans, and it's not even particularly close. When the Rangers went to the Cup Final 10 years ago, the city was absolutely buzzing in a way that was very different from when we won our title.

NY1 needs to do more for sure.

I feel like the coverage from any particular outlet depends in large part on whether the sports editor there is a younger more forward thinking editor or a Neanderthal that reflexively acts to avoid anything to do with soccer.

All I'm asking for is just show the score and maybe give the goal scorers. Highlights are gravy. Fuck, we've got 20K at our games.

Click the link above and ask them for coverage.

NY1 needs to do more for sure.

I feel like the coverage from any particular outlet depends in large part on whether the sports editor there is a younger more forward thinking editor or a Neanderthal that reflexively acts to avoid anything to do with soccer.

FWIW, NY1 was in the plaza interviewing fans before the game today. Lots of media was there. The team gave media a tour of the land they're going to build on, plus the mayor's appearance drew a lot of media out. I saw a reporter from the NY Post there, too.

Reactions: JayH and mgarbowski