NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2024

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
For all media related posts regarding NYCFC for 2024! Well, we already had the stadium announcement and community board approval (at least the first part).

7th - 10th seems to be the consensus of the analysts. I don't think that will be the case.
More like 9 to 11. The average is 10. The median is 10. 7 and 13 are outliers. In fact it is a perfectly symmetrical bell curve:

7th. 1
9th. 4
10th 6
11th 4
13th. 1

I'm surprised, not that any individual would pick these but that nobody went higher, and that the majority say no playoffs, and only 1 says we avoid the wild card game.

Reactions: Shwafta
I'm perfectly fine with the low expectations. we have a bunch of new players to integrate and there's still a lot of questions. the roster looks to be building for the next few years instead of winning the cup this year, although that'd be a bonus for sure.

i don't expect us to win the cup. but i do think we have the talent to make it comfortably into the playoffs. the question will be whether nick and put it all together now that he's got 90% of the players he needs.

After last year, not sure how anyone can be upset at a mid-table to lower mid-table prediction. The signings are promising, and the team did play better late in the year, but it is the same manager and there was a lack of progression (and some regression) from key players.

I am cautiously optimistic, but cautiously is doing a lot of work.

I think those rankings are fair. We need to prove it with these new players. I tend to think we will, but it's reasonable to question it until it happens.

Without really looking at how other teams look, I think we're anywhere from 4-8 in the East.

This is their job. They are supposed to be the experts. That involves knowing more than where a team ranked in last year’s table.

This is their job. They are supposed to be the experts. That involves knowing more than where a team ranked in last year’s table.

I don't think they're ranking us where they are because of last year. They're ranking us where they are because our additions are all unproven guys who we only have scouting videos on. I'm optimistic for the season because CFG usually does a good job with our incoming recruits, but that optimism isn't based on any knowable facts.

Those rankings seem a little low to be sure, but it's not outside the realistic realm of where things could end up.

so it begins... 3 below new jersey.. i guess cause they signed forsberg?

Doyle published his tier ranking column today. He puts NYCFC in the third tier "High Upside Mystery Box" category , which I think is exactly right. He says "You could tell me anywhere from third to 12th in the East for NYCFC and I’d buy it." I'm in the same place.

Looking at the power rankings, I think it shows one reason why NYCFC was projected on the lower end of the 3-12 range in the predictions over the weekend. The East is stacked, with 5 of the top 6 teams and 7 of the top 10. Six of those seven finished top 10 in points in 2023, and the 7th is Miami.

So basically, if you're predicting and projecting, it's hard to insert us over the teams who actually did it last year, or Messi and Friends. And NYCFC is so, so young. Doyle again: "NYCFC are probably a bit too young – they’ve got exactly one guy over the age of 26 projected to be in the starting lineup. Guys like James Sands (23), Santiago Rodríguez (24) and Talles Magno (21) are all grizzled vets. In this league and most others, young teams may play good soccer for long stretches, but they tend not to win stuff."

The trick for this club will be keeping the young guns around longer than Gaby.

Doyle published his tier ranking column today. He puts NYCFC in the third tier "High Upside Mystery Box" category , which I think is exactly right. He says "You could tell me anywhere from third to 12th in the East for NYCFC and I’d buy it." I'm in the same place.

Looking at the power rankings, I think it shows one reason why NYCFC was projected on the lower end of the 3-12 range in the predictions over the weekend. The East is stacked, with 5 of the top 6 teams and 7 of the top 10. Six of those seven finished top 10 in points in 2023, and the 7th is Miami.

So basically, if you're predicting and projecting, it's hard to insert us over the teams who actually did it last year, or Messi and Friends. And NYCFC is so, so young. Doyle again: "NYCFC are probably a bit too young – they’ve got exactly one guy over the age of 26 projected to be in the starting lineup. Guys like James Sands (23), Santiago Rodríguez (24) and Talles Magno (21) are all grizzled vets. In this league and most others, young teams may play good soccer for long stretches, but they tend not to win stuff."

The trick for this club will be keeping the young guns around longer than Gaby.

yeah. we are hurting for some veteran experience and leadership. having maxi on the field again would be great, but he is just one guy. we need more.

definitely spot on with mystery box ranking. if we win anything this year it'll be a bonus. but with a young squad, i think making a cup run in leagues cup isn't too farfetched.

in any case, i just hope we play some exciting games. last year was very difficult to watch. as long we're entertaining this year, i'd call it a successful season.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Wonder when this was filmed, because no mention of Jovan would seem to indicate this is a few weeks old. Strange it just got released now.
Jovan was only official as of Monday this week. I don't know what the show policy is on likely but unofficial rumors. But they might have filmed it last week.

Last year NYCFC losses and draws came in 2 flavors: (1) games where they generated a pitiful number of chances and scored 0 or 1 goals, and (2) games where they generated a decent, and occasionally even healthy number of chances which they failed to finish, and scored 0 or 1 goals.

Type 1 could be blamed on Nick, or the roster.
Type 2 is IMO either bad luck or you can blame the players for not finishing. Coaching is not irrelevant but IMO it's the least likely cause.

If Nick is going to stay employed they have to stop having Type1 games with any regularity, because the roster now is good enough to generate at least a league average number of xG. The league average per game last year was 1.29. NYC had 1.17. Cumulative league average was 44.2, NYCFC 39.9. Actual non-OGs was 45.3 for the league, and 34 for NYCC.

Last edited:
Last year NYCFC losses came in 2 flavors: (1) games where they generated a pitiful number of chances and scored 0 or 1 goals, and (2) games where they generated a decent, and occasionally even healthy number of chances which they failed to finish, and scored o or 1 goals.

Type 1 could be blamed on Nick, or the roster.
Type 2 is IMO either bad luck or you can blame the players for not finishing. Coaching is not irrelevant but IMO it's the least likely cause.

If Nick is going to stay employed they have to stop having Type1 games with any regularity, because the roster now is good enough to generate at least a league average number of xG. The league average per game last year was 1.29. NYC had 1.17. Cumulative league average was 44.2, NYCFC 39.9. Actual non-OGs was 45.3 for the league, and 34 for NYCC.

I think we need time for the attack to gel. Despite full preseason together, bakrar and santi don't seem to be on the same page. Wolf seems to have a better connection but still needs time.

Most concerning for me is the lack of attacking patterns in transition and to breakdown a defensive block. That is coaching. We don't even seem to be trying anything.. and if the players aren't doing what they are asked to do then they need to go. Period.

Overall I agree. If we are creating a good number of decent chances the goals will come. If we aren't even creating them that's a big problem.

Would also be nice if we improved our set piece defending which is once again, poor.

Last edited:
I think we need time for the attack to gel. Despite full preseason together, bakrar and santi don't seem to be on the same page. Wolf seems to have a better connection but still needs time.

Most concerning for me is the lack of attacking patterns in transition and to breakdown a defensive block. That is coaching. We don't even seem to be trying anything.. and if the players aren't doing what they are asked to do then they need to go. Period.

Overall I agree. If we are creating a good number of decent chances the goals will come. If we aren't even creating them that's a big problem.

Would also be nice if we improved our set piece defending which is once again, poor.

There are things that the team did consistently during our successful years that I don't or rarely see us doing right now. I don't know if it's an intentional change in the system or if its players executing differently but so many of the things that gave us our identity for a long time are just missing right now. Some examples are:

1. Consistently recycling the ball back to the CBs when we need to reset the offense
2. Playing around confidently at the back with an extended series of passes between our CBs and GK to create space to move forward
3. Extended midfield possession via quick passing triangles to create openings to attack
4. Attackers stretching the field by staying right on the edge of offsides
5. Long cross-field switch passes from Sands when he's playing in a deep pivot

We used to play this high-risk possession-based style that many teams in the league wouldn't dare to attempt and we made teams adapt to us and used it to dictate games. Now it seems like we are still trying to play possession but we are playing it in an ultra-conservative way where the objective is not to make mistakes. Just get the ball upfield, play around with it near the 18 to try to jam it into the box. It takes confidence to take the risks we used to take so I'm sure that's some of it but it also feels like Nick plays a very risk-adverse system and it's hurting us. Even the games when we create a high number of chances it seems like they come from either an exceptional individual effort like a cut-in curler from Fernandez or a mistake in the box by the other team that creates some space. We play conservatively and look for openings as opposed to our old way of dynamically moving the ball all over the field and creating openings.

Last edited: