Question For Fans Who Suport Both Nycfc And Mcfc

If you could see only ONE of your teams win the title, what would you prefer?

• NYCFC wins MLS Cup

Votes: 26 57.8%
  • MCFC wins The Premier League

Votes: 19 42.2%

• Total voters
I don't think you can compare the two. In the UK, it's nothing to do with whether you support your local club or prefer the glory of international football. The "club over country" debate in the UK runs around the lines that the national team is viewed as having, frankly, embarrassed the country since the mid-90s.

As a result, the "strongest" fans of club teams (casual fans tend to be more pro-England, though it's not a hard-and-fast rule) are generally of the opinion now that the England team serves no purpose except to be a national humiliation, and they are increasingly moving towards the argument that international football should be scrapped as it simply distracts everyone from club football. It's not really a debate between fans about which of two teams they support more, it's a debate between fans about whether there should even be a second team.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyBoyVilla
Although I'm starting strong ties with NYCFC and I can't wait for a title race, as of right now, in this moment, with 2-3 games left in PL, I have to root for MCFC.

Frankly I have next to no feelings (positive or negative) towards any EPL team...though my team of choice (Milan) does have very strong ties to England..

So let's go Ipswich Town! Get yourself promoted and win the EPL!

Frankly I have next to no feelings (positive or negative) towards any EPL team...though my team of choice (Milan) does have very strong ties to England..

So let's go Ipswich Town! Get yourself promoted and win the EPL!
I makes it easier to not get riled up over EPL talk when your favorite EPL (or lower) team poses no threat to the top 5.

I'm just happy Swansea City is safe from relegation. That's good enough for me!

Reactions: Kinkladze
This is a great and tough question. My gut reaction screams MCFC as I have been a fan since 2006.

However, if I had to pick between the two it would have to be NYCFC. I have never had the chance to go to a MCFC at the etihad/maine road in my life. I have never lived in or visited England. As much as I have adopted MCFC it will never have the same bond as NYCFC will. This is my club in my city. I can part of this from the start as well.

My passion for MCFC is more tangible than it is for NYCFC now, but that'll soon change!

Wish I actually lived in the city so I can go to practices and such. Oh well, thankfully flights are cheap. I can make it up there and back for $200 and change so it's not that bad.

Wow. This is a great question. When I started following MCFC I never dreamed we'd compete for titles. It was all about staying up and relevant. Making a cup run here or there if possible but never getting to the top or playing in Europe. All that's happened now. I feel like MCFC have accomplished so much in so little time that I have a hard time wrapping my mind around it. We're a world class club that have worldwide ambition.

Since I've only experienced two New York teams winning a title in my lifetime (86 Mets, 94 Rangers) I'd have to vote for NYCFC. I can't tell you what an amazing day it was when MCFC won the title. I don't even remember how the day ended. I can only imagine being with all of you in the stadium the day we raise the cup.

It will happen.

Do you mean you've only experienced two NY teams that you support winning in your lifetime? because the NYY have won several championships since the Mets did it, and the Giants won the Super Bowl more than once in that time.

I don't support the Yankees or the Giants so I don't count those.

Hi...first post from me :)

As an MCFC fan, im always going to pick them over any team...im merely here because of the City's links with NYCFC...i havent had any interest in MLS in the past.

I havent read the whole forum yet, but i think i can predict the interactions between UK and US fans.

In the UK, football fans thrive on the historic associations with a team...locality, family team etc and MCFC fans will always see NYCFC as our subsidiary team. US fans will mostly see NYCFC as a brand new club with no history (yet) and will support them for their own reasons...locality etc.

Im interested to see how things progress. I personally dont think there will be too much association made between MCFC and NYCFC...2 separate entitites

Hi...first post from me :)

As an MCFC fan, im always going to pick them over any team...im merely here because of the City's links with NYCFC...i havent had any interest in MLS in the past.

I havent read the whole forum yet, but i think i can predict the interactions between UK and US fans.

In the UK, football fans thrive on the historic associations with a team...locality, family team etc and MCFC fans will always see NYCFC as our subsidiary team. US fans will mostly see NYCFC as a brand new club with no history (yet) and will support them for their own reasons...locality etc.

Im interested to see how things progress. I personally dont think there will be too much association made between MCFC and NYCFC...2 separate entitites
I'm a Manchester born 'n' bred Blue and I certainly don't consider NYCFC (or Melbourne) as a 'subsidiary' club. I'm pretty sure the owner doesn't see it that way either. We're all part of the same family under CFG but they're definitely their own entity.

As a Manc its always gonna be City, always, but i do watch the MLS and i will now support only NYCFC though i will have a soft spot for the Timbers. The thought of a 2nd team always seemed alien to me but City and NYC is pretty natural.

Reactions: einwindir
I'm an American who supports MCFC and never really watched MLS. The PL has an emotional attachment for me, the MLS not so much.

But I'll still support both because it's important for the future of City.

These sort of threads can come back and bite your ass in time, it's ammunition for the followers of over MLS teams that half your support is made up of well wishers rather than the core as it actually is. I'm from Manchester and have supported City all my life, a season ticket holder for nearly 10 years so its not hard to work out where my allegiance lies. Same as you guys, but of course I will be behind NYCFC all the way.

Thing is I rather see NYCFC win the league than any other MLS team and although I'm not a hardcore fan, such as a season or match going fan I will stil be as much a NYCFC fan as a bloke who lives in India and supports MUFC due to their long standing success.

What I'm trying to say is enjoy this great rollercoaster as in time you will win the league and gather many more thousands of support from around the world, some hardcore and some like me. It's going to be fookin great.

This thread was started before most of the Manchester crowd showed up and was meant to be for Americans living in the USA who support MCFC. That was the point. I would never ever expect a lifelong MCFC fan from England to support a club in the US before their home team.

A Manchester City and Chicago Fire supporter... voted NYCFC anyway simply because I care way more about what is going on here than what is going on across an ocean.

Reactions: Capt.Tsubasa
This thread was started before most of the Manchester crowd showed up and was meant to be for Americans living in the USA who support MCFC. That was the point. I would never ever expect a lifelong MCFC fan from England to support a club in the US before their home team.

No problem John, I was merely pointing out that one or two idiots could use this sort of thread to beat you with and I didn't want that to happen, only wanted to help and not criticise.

Great forum by the way.