Quick Sheikh Monsour Story

Kjbert

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 24, 2014
I was in Manhattan Saturday night at a birthday party for a friend of ours. One of the girls brought her new boyfriend, a Banker.

Turns out the guy is British and we get talking soccer. He finds out I am an NYCFC guy and he brings up Sheikh Monsour.

Turns out he was the Sheikh's banker in England and became friendly with the Man City folks. He was invited to watch the France/England Euro 2012 game with a group of Man City folks, the Sheikh included.

So he sits down and starts watching and the Sheikh starts asking him who he supports and why. The guy says he is a Newcastle supporter. The room stops and everyone looks quizzically at him. The Sheikh prods him and wonders why, with all the clubs in England to support, he chose Newcastle (this guy was originally from Belfast and a Rangers supporter as well). He said that Newcastle was the one club in the Premier League, more than any other, where the team symbolizes the blue collar nature of the town. Good or bad, St. James is full every weekend. They live and die for their squad, and despite Sunderland being a rival, Newcastle is all for Newcastle United. The fans would jump through fire for their team.

So the Sheihk looks around and goes, "We should have bought Newcastle."

He didn't say that because he thinks they made a mistake. The moral of the story is that CFG is 100% invested in their fans. They want the best fans and they want their fans to be proud of the product on the field.

I couldn't be happier to be part of the CFG.

I was in Manhattan Saturday night at a birthday party for a friend of ours. One of the girls brought her new boyfriend, a Banker.

Turns out the guy is British and we get talking soccer. He finds out I am an NYCFC guy and he brings up Sheikh Monsour.

Turns out he was the Sheikh's banker in England and became friendly with the Man City folks. He was invited to watch the France/England Euro 2012 game with a group of Man City folks, the Sheikh included.

So he sits down and starts watching and the Sheikh starts asking him who he supports and why. The guy says he is a Newcastle supporter. The room stops and everyone looks quizzically at him. The Sheikh prods him and wonders why, with all the clubs in England to support, he chose Newcastle (this guy was originally from Belfast and a Rangers supporter as well). He said that Newcastle was the one club in the Premier League, more than any other, where the team symbolizes the blue collar nature of the town. Good or bad, St. James is full every weekend. They live and die for their squad, and despite Sunderland being a rival, Newcastle is all for Newcastle United. The fans would jump through fire for their team.

So the Sheihk looks around and goes, "We should have bought Newcastle."

He didn't say that because he thinks they made a mistake. The moral of the story is that CFG is 100% invested in their fans. They want the best fans and they want their fans to be proud of the product on the field.

I couldn't be happier to be part of the CFG.

That's awesome.

leedsnewc.jpg

the day I believe a banker's word is the day I sign into a mental hospital.

they have been top 3 in attendence since they were promoted in 2010. Numbers only part of the story, Newcastle has some of the best support in europe and a real working class town. Picture could have been from a cup game or preseason friendly.

Reactions: Kjbert
they have been top 3 in attendence since they were promoted in 2010. Numbers only part of the story, Newcastle has some of the best support in europe and a real working class town. Picture could have been from a cup game or preseason friendly.
When they were out of the Prem, their attendances sucked. That isn't a good fanbase. It's a fair weather fanbase. So while Newcastle were averaging 16K in 2nd division, MCFC averaged over 30k in the 3rd division. No brainer for Mansour really

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/newu.htm
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/manc.htm

Not to mention the 80 acres of land directly across the road from the Etihad that is now the most state of the art academy, thanks to the Sheikh's investment. That was a huge factor in him buying MCFC

Last edited:
How is that a prickish response? By pointing out the gaping holes in your story? If you have a problem with popping your balloon let me know when you want to talk. I have no problem saying the same thing to your face. Yeah I'm kind of funny that way.

I see you are highly intelligent with your tough guy persona here. Are you going to try and compare physical fitness activities next? The number of bar fights you've participated in?

Takes a big man to threaten a fight on an internet message board. Lighten up, Francis

Reactions: Section1Guy
Well I reread my statement and I never threatened a fight. All I said was that I had no problem saying it to your face. I still have no problem doing that. It seems that you may have a problem with people pointing out flaws in your story. Why are you so hypersensitive?

I'm not. But you had to act like an internet tough guy. One of the great things about this message board is that we don't have those here.

I am still waiting for your explanation of where I was an Internet "tough guy" there was no such thing in any of my posts. The only Internet thing I see here is you trolling.