mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
If there is a thread for this already please merge. I could not find one.

I drove the family up to Yorktown Heights to go apple picking this fine morning. It's about 30-40 minutes north of NYC. I saw one guy wearing an NYCFC t-shirt and I said "Nice shirt." He said "Thanks" but was a bit too wrapped up in his own world to notice I was wearing one too.
Then while we were waiting for the tractor ride the couple behind me started a conversation because of my shirt. They went to last night's game (the shirt I was wearing was the one they gave away). It was the first one they attended. Here are some quotes from them which I pass on without judgment. For full effect imagine these being said with a British accent. Also, all quotes are from the husband except as noted.
" It was great. We've been watching them lose all year and we attend a game and they win. Two in a row now."
"They worked so hard building up that lead and then seemed to work just as hard trying to give it away."
"That sub was something else. Angelino?
[Wife] He looks like he's 12.
[Husband] He came in and seemed very adept at creating goals on both sides of the field. Also, his right foot might be good for some things but none of them is kicking a football."
"we had a great time we'll go to more next year."
They also asked my girls about going to the games and some additional friendly interaction.

Oh, and in order to get up there in the morning we went to 9am Mass, which at my parish is in Italian. I looked for Pirlo (hey, it could happen) but he was not in attendance.

I was walking through the plaza at Rockefeller Center this morning on my way to my office wearing my long sleeve secondary NYCFC jersey when I was approached by a young woman who excitedly said she loved my jersey and asked if I attended the game last night. I said "yeah, always" and she then explained how she attended last night for the first time and absolutely loved it.

Also, there are a couple of workers at my local Chipotle who follow the club and always discuss the games when I stop in.

Recently went to Germany, France, Spain, and Portugal. Approached multiple times in regards to the season and how they watch our games. Twice I've been chanted ("USA USA USA") at by people in the streets. Anytime I've been in the NYC subways wearing my jersey I'm approached by curious foreigners to ask where to buy it

I attended my 16th NYCFC game last night and after the game took a late night red eye on business for some meetings in Miami early this morning. I left after an early meeting and went to Havana with a friend for some cafe con leche y huervos rancheros and I was wearing my authentic home NYCFC short sleeve jersey. I was crossing a central square downtown and I saw the Pope and Raul Castro. No kidding. They were right in front of me, by coincidence. The Pope asked me where he could get a Pirlo sandwich in New York when he comes to town on Thursday, in Spanish of course. Castro asked me why Villa was offside so many times.

Last edited:
Today at Smorgasburg in Prospect Park I was wearing my #99 Wright Phillips jersey and saw a guy in a black NYCFC shirt. Didn't chat with him but would have offered congratulations for the SJ win last night.

Also saw a guy in an Everton jersey and another guy in a Liverpool jersey. How random.

And then a guy with a Red Bulls hat on the way home.

Reactions: Goodfella
I attended my 16th NYCFC game last night and after the game took a late night red eye on business for some meetings in Miami early this morning. I left after an early meeting and went to Havana with a friend for some cafe con leche y huervos rancheros and I was wearing my authentic home NYCFC short sleeve jersey. I was crossing a central square downtown and I saw the Pope and Raul Castro. No kidding. They were right in front of me, by coincidence. The Pope asked me where he could get a Pirlo sandwich in New York when he comes to town on Thursday, in Spanish of course. Castro asked me why Villa was offside so many times.
Lol

Just had a phone interview with a boutique investment bank. The banker doing the interview is an alumnus of my school and he asked me what I did this summer. Talked a bit about NYCFC, where I sit, etc. He sits a few sections near me and is also a season ticket holder. He said we can't talk too much about the club. Hopefully this gets me onto the next round.

Just had a phone interview with a boutique investment bank. The banker doing the interview is an alumnus of my school and he asked me what I did this summer. Talked a bit about NYCFC, where I sit, etc. He sits a few sections near me and is also a season ticket holder. He said we can't talk too much about the club. Hopefully this gets me onto the next round.
Good luck!

I went to the Penn State/Rutgers game last weekend and while I was walking around campus Friday I saw a student rocking a NYCFC t-shirt. Did not expect to see that on campus.