Red Bulls (U.S. Open Cup) - Postmatch

ZYanksRule

Registered
Mar 13, 2015
Alright so I'm going to say some things here ...

It's not fair to say this organization doesn't care about the US Open Cup. It is fair to say they are not well-positioned to succeed in that competition. This is a team that scouts internationally -- we are not a domestic team. Look at the squads that go deep in the US Open Cup. It's Kansas City, Red Bulls, Chicago -- teams that are very heavy on domestic players. We are not. So the 5 internationals rule really hampers us (and a team like, say, Atlanta), more than the others.

I do think PV named a fairly representative XI. Villa, Medina, Chanot, Sweat are all fairly regular players, even McNamara for now might end up being a regular starter with Herrera out. So that's roughly half the XI. Lewis was someone we wanted to see in this game, too. The midfield was a disaster and you probably would have liked to see Sands instead of Awuah, but the defense and forwards were pretty representative.

Listen, I think if this was a game against New England, we all would have said play all the kids and just worry about Atlanta on Saturday. It hurts because it's the Red Bulls. But I think almost all of us care far more about the game againt Atlanta than the US Open Cup, which simply isn't a competition this team is well-positioned for.

If we have our full XI and it's not a short week, sure I think we have a chance to do damage in this competition. We don't. We're playing with one food and one arm tied behind our back, and this is the result.

Honestly, I think Vieira did pretty well with selection all things considered. Not perfect, but he definitely went with a competitive squad. Still, he definitely had half an eye on Atlanta this Saturday, and I'm perfectly OK with that. He showed he thought it's more likely to get a result out of that game than out of this game, and he managed that way.

Some positives I guess. It was good getting some people minutes. Awesome seeing a 15 year old make an appearance as well.
Aside from that not much else to discuss here.
Simply can’t show up for big occasions. Yes, a US Open Cup knockout game is a big occasion.

Some positives I guess. It was good getting some people minutes. Awesome seeing a 15 year old make an appearance as well.
Simply can’t show up for big occasions. Yes, a US Open Cup knockout game is a big occasion.

PV’s record in seven knockout/playoff games: 1-6, 3 goals for, 17 goals against. The one game he did win? His team still went home.

If it’s a one off game I’m taking the other guy. PV is great at winning mid-season games where he has a good matchup. Put him against a real coach and he’ll lose.

Liked what I saw from Scally in open field. Kid can run and he had a nice first touch as well. Quick on the ball when pressed a couple of times. Sands whipped a nasty ball 40 yards downfield to Medina mid stride. Unfortunately it looked like he was gassed at that point and even Colin was able to catch up to him.

I'm not sure I agree this is a big occasion. Yes you're playing for a trophy, but no one takes this competition seriously until you get into the quarters or semis. I think if you asked all 23 MLS teams, half of them would say they'd rather not be bothered. Especially the teams (like us) that are so heavily international spot based.

The team couldn’t connect three passes to save their life. For the love of god, why were they playing it out of the back with players who obviously didn’t have the skill to do that?

It basically plays right into RBNJ’s hands, they compress the field and then play directly forward. Their CBs never have to defend in open field because no one ever plays a ball into the open channels. With the shit ball movement in the midfield, RBNJ simply overcommits players to the man with the ball and gets a turnover.

Oh and Marsch completely schooled PV’s shit zonal marking on the second goal. Marsch started with all his players high, while NYCFC’s players stood alone in the box on their marked area. RBNY then overloaded to one area and sent the ball in there. Easy goal. Duh.

Last edited:
The biggest difference to me was that the RB equivalent of Kwame Awuah is starting every week in the US rather than playing one game a year.

Yes, this was the biggest factor to me: nycfc’s backups only practice while rbnj’s backups play games (either with first or second team). That’s why one team was ready to play and the other couldn’t get it out of second gear.

my pal Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan , Where were you? I needed a vodka shot.........

I can not get over the fact that we always loose in those Open cup games and WORSE to the pink cows!!

If we cannot win this important tournament ( US Open has about like 100 years of existence ) what can we expect for the rest of the season??

what has the main team doing over the weekend.... What the F%&*Now I understand why some WC teams coaches don't allow their players to have spouses partners or whatever during tournaments.

sorry forum pals dont' mean to be so crass but what else can you say about this game?

since the MetroStars, I have been dreaming of having the US Open Cup in our glass shelf . it over 20 years and nada NADA NADA My favorite team can not win an open cup game :confused::confused:o_O:eek::eek:

So who else needs to see any more from Lewis before they admit he needs to see minutes? He’s better than Medina - every time he got the ball he created chances, and save for Isi, nobody else on the team can say that, not even Villa.

I’d really like to see an Isi-Villa-Lewis starting front three on Saturday.

So who else needs to see any more from Lewis before they admit he needs to see minutes? He’s better than Medina - every time he got the ball he created chances, and save for Isi, nobody else on the team can say that, not even Villa.

I’d really like to see an Isi-Villa-Lewis starting front three on Saturday.

Wouldn't mind seeing a front 6 of:
ITS-Villa-Lewis
--Medina-Moralez
--------Ring-----

Reactions: adam
RBNY outplayed NYCFC in all aspects of the game...but especially in getting to 50-50 balls.
giphy.gif

Wouldn't mind seeing a front 6 of:
ITS-Villa-Lewis
--Medina-Moralez
--------Ring-----
Sorry, but Medina wastes a spot there.

Medina is soft as shit. He’s not DP quality and he’s not capable of handling the speed and physicality of MLS. I’m frankly not even sure what league CFG thinks they will eventually be able to sell/transfer him to - not a top-5 league - and really the only reason to have a young DP is to work the salary cap and sell for a high transfer, but from what I’ve recently seen from him his game won’t get there. He couldn’t even take advantage of B-level RB defenders tonight and Lewis easily outshone him.

My apologies, I wasn’t trying to bust on your lineup, but it just segued me into my rant about a luxury player we don’t have the luxury to be carrying.