Red Bulls (U.S. Open Cup) - Postmatch

So who is this you're talking about that went to Europe to use daddy's facilities?

Sorry, different context. Gio is actively looking for a contract in Europe while just avoiding any chance of playing for us first. I'm all for the Pulisic model, but what would it hurt to develop on our roster a bit, then head over when you're 17/18?

Just as the halftime whistle blew, a guy jolted from his seat to the aisle next to the NYCFC bench and nearly broke his jaw as he tripped and almost went smack into the concrete wall. I don't know what he was saying but it was directed at Vieira and Vieira stood him down the entire time before heading into the tunnel.

After halftime as the team came back out, he continued and said this is embarrassing and he should apologize to the fans pointing to the away section. Vieira said, "Why don't you go home then?" As security is telling him to leave I tap the guy on the arm and said, "Saturday is more important." And he said, "yeah."

This game did not matter. We're fighting for the trophies we're built to win: MLS Cup, Supporters' Shield, and ultimately CCL. This competition does not matter. We don't have the infrastructure to contend all the way through. A stadium, a USL team, fully developed and integrated domestic homegrown American players. All missing.

This isn't at all on Vieira and if you think we should have fielded a team to win then play on Wednesday away before Toronto that Saturday, you're very, very short sighted.

Hountondji's injury was the biggest bad of the night. Ibeagha has to play 80+ minutes and he'll be playing 90 minutes on Saturday. Joe Scally played LW and he's a natural defender. Sands had an amazing pass to Medina. Lewis did well in his moments.

Also worried that Ofori played 70 minutes and will be starting on Saturday, likely.

The players wanted to leave right away but were pulled to thank the visiting supporters. Vieira didn't look too pissed on the 3rd or 4th goals. Eh, I didn't care either.

That’s actually how Vieira wants the far side wing to play. We saw the exact same thing with Harrison.
And this is how he positioned himself to make his most incisive runs all night. It was apparent from the stands. No complaints about his play tonight and if not for that unlucky sequence where they stopped Villa on the line we’d be singing his praises for setting that sequence in motion too. In both of his recent starts he has given us box penetration that only Maxi Villa and ISI can match.

Awuah shouldn't be in the team.
Saw enough of Awuah to think he is a useful piece to carry, I thought.

Then again, from the nosebleeds, it's uncanny how closely he and Ofori resemble one another. They carry their arms the same way when running, 14/12 is hard to distinguish, similar haircuts.

So at worst, the two combined to convince there was at least one decent midfielder between them.

There was one point early in the first half where the ball was on the near side, and Lewis was all the way on the far sideline with absolutely no hope of making an impact on the play. It felt like that's his position so he wasn't going to move, but perhaps he should have tried to support a little more. He's a skillful player who doesn't seem to have the game awareness that Vieira probably values. He's not a thinking-man's player, he's a player who comes in to run at opposing defenses, and it definitely feels like he's more effective as a late-game sub to help chase a result.
Wrong. He was standing in acres of space, wishing someone would play the ball over there like Maxi would. Unfortunately, that someone in that role tonight has to muster every speck of ability into a minuscule pile just to take 3 touches and back pass.

1) For those saying that USOC doesn't matter or isn't important... that's a subjective statement. I for one think it's hugely important. It's my favorite tournament, and it deeply bothers me that this club puts zero effort into it. I get that CFG is a foreign entity, and I get that NYC has international flare so they want to fill the club with international stars.... but would it kill you to make some sort of effort in the domestic cup of the place where your club actually plays?

2) I'll tell you one reason why taking USOC seriously is so important... because this club time and time again displays its inability to win elimination stakes / high pressure games. Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit. Every time we put a team out there and lose a USOC game, those players and the club are developing the habit of losing elimination / high pressure games.

3) There's zero excuse for not having a USL club at this point. Zero. Maybe CFG doesn't want to invest in a farm team for the club that they see as their farm team?

4) So many lost 50-50 balls. No heart.

Just as the halftime whistle blew, a guy jolted from his seat to the aisle next to the NYCFC bench and nearly broke his jaw as he tripped and almost went smack into the concrete wall. I don't know what he was saying but it was directed at Vieira and Vieira stood him down the entire time before heading into the tunnel.

After halftime as the team came back out, he continued and said this is embarrassing and he should apologize to the fans pointing to the away section. Vieira said, "Why don't you go home then?" As security is telling him to leave I tap the guy on the arm and said, "Saturday is more important." And he said, "yeah."

This game did not matter. We're fighting for the trophies we're built to win: MLS Cup, Supporters' Shield, and ultimately CCL. This competition does not matter. We don't have the infrastructure to contend all the way through. A stadium, a USL team, fully developed and integrated domestic homegrown American players. All missing.

This isn't at all on Vieira and if you think we should have fielded a team to win then play on Wednesday away before Toronto that Saturday, you're very, very short sighted.

Hountondji's injury was the biggest bad of the night. Ibeagha has to play 80+ minutes and he'll be playing 90 minutes on Saturday. Joe Scally played LW and he's a natural defender. Sands had an amazing pass to Medina. Lewis did well in his moments.

Also worried that Ofori played 70 minutes and will be starting on Saturday, likely.

The players wanted to leave right away but were pulled to thank the visiting supporters. Vieira didn't look too pissed on the 3rd or 4th goals. Eh, I didn't care either.
I agree with most of what you said, but I'm kind of fed up with the rhetoric. Why not just come out and say it? Why not find something inspiring and motivating within the situation to avoid the funeral? If I'm remembering correctly, his pre-match summary was the usual phrasal soup of "we try to play our game"'s and "we just try to win the next match" and "change nothing about our preparation". You know the rest. If it's an experiment, call it an experiment. Break the fourth wall and maybe respect the intelligence of your fan base. I don't think I have any kind of emotional attachment to Vieira because he hasn't made the overtures.

And maybe actually experiment. If you don't adapt your game to your circumstances then you are aren't a coach, you are a glorified copy and paste script.

The good:
  • Lewis had his moments. Showed some rust but he looked hungry and gutsy and I'll take it over the alternative for now.
  • I liked the look of Saad. He's smooth. Most of his turnovers came from misreading the movement of his team mates, which will happen when you make 9 changes to the line up.
The redeeming:
  • What I just said. I don't think any player individually had a terrible game. Our philosophy relies on fluency and teamwork and is prone to weak links. We controlled the match but made a ton of errors on both sides of the ball due to a lack of cohesion, and we got punished.
The bad:
  • The arrogance of overhauling a line up and expecting to do OK without changing a thing about our approach to the game.
  • Alternatively, not caring enough to approach this game with a sense of pride. If we can't get up for a match against our most bitter rivals in a competition we've never won in after a similarly demoralizing defeat to them, then I don't even know why any of this is supposed to matter.

All press conferences lead to the stadium thread...

At 5:41 into the clip, Vieira states (on behalf of the club) that basically... we don't have a USL squad because they're prioritizing the stadium search (and the implication is that we won't focus on getting a USL squad until after we have a stadium). That could be 5 years from now. Is it just me, or are those two things ENTIRELY unrelated? Can organizations walk and chew gum at the same time?

Again, where is the FO? Where is the leadership of this club? Where are the media interviews, quotes, podcast appearances, team PR releases, etc. etc. etc. from the likes of Reyna and Soriano?

At 5:41 into the clip, Vieira states (on behalf of the club) that basically... we don't have a USL squad because they're prioritizing the stadium search (and the implication is that we won't focus on getting a USL squad until after we have a stadium). That could be 5 years from now. Is it just me, or are those two things ENTIRELY unrelated? Can organizations walk and chew gum at the same time?

There's two ways to get a USL team.

1. Organically, NYCFC 2 who play at NYCFC stadium

2. Acquire a local team who has a stadium that would satisfy the USL requirements, like possibly the Long Island Rough Riders.

Everything this club has done has been 1. We started our academy and grown them up rather than just filling every age group from the start.

Reactions: gbservis

2. Acquire a local team who has a stadium that would satisfy the USL requirements, like possibly the Long Island Rough Riders.

Everything this club has done has been 1. We started our academy and grown them up rather than just filling every age group from the start.

Agree. And I think organically is great. But why do they need to play at NYCFC stadium 5 years from now? Why can't they play at another smaller venue in the interim. Presumably, between our academy guys, and the guys on the senior team who PV says need a "B squad" to get minutes with... maybe bring in a few other players... we could have a USL squad tomorrow.

Agree. And I think organically is great. But why do they need to play at NYCFC stadium 5 years from now? Why can't they play at another smaller venue in the interim. Presumably, between our academy guys, and the guys on the senior team who PV says need a "B squad" to get minutes with... maybe bring in a few other players... we could have a USL squad tomorrow.

USL now has stadium standards for expansion teams. To find/build a grass stadium in the New York metro area to meet USL standards would just be moot. Build an MLS stadium and have USL play there on the other weekends.

Reactions: roxfontaine
USL now has stadium standards for expansion teams. To find/build a grass stadium in the New York metro area to meet USL standards would just be moot. Build an MLS stadium and have USL play there on the other weekends.

If I'm remembering correctly, I believe the D2 (e.g., for USL) seating capacity requirement is 5,000 seats. Surely, we can find a venue nearby that has that. Or put in 5,000 seats at the training facility? If not, USL is starting a D3 league for 2019, which will require even fewer seats... could always put a squad there to start.

Anyway, this isn't my job. Why does it always seem that we care about the club more than the club does?

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. With consistency a great soul has simply nothing to do. He may as well concern himself with his shadow on the wall. Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day. — 'Ah, so you shall be sure to be misunderstood.' — Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood.

Reactions: Ulrich

Again, where is the FO? Where is the leadership of this club? Where are the media interviews, quotes, podcast appearances, team PR releases, etc. etc. etc. from the likes of Reyna and Soriano?
I'm fairly concerned that our club is run by corporate zombies.

That sucked, and it’s embarrassing to keep losing to those fuckers, but a win on Saturday helps me forget
That kind of perfectly sums up how I feel about this match.

Reactions: canchon