Red Bulls (U.S. Open Cup) - Postmatch

Sorry, but Medina wastes a spot there.

Medina is soft as shit. He’s not DP quality and he’s not capable of handling the speed and physicality of MLS. I’m frankly not even sure what league CFG thinks they will eventually be able to sell/transfer him to - not a top-5 league - and really the only reason to have a young DP is to work the salary cap and sell for a high transfer, but from what I’ve recently seen from him his game won’t get there. He couldn’t even take advantage of B-level RB defenders tonight and Lewis easily outshone him.

My apologies, I wasn’t trying to bust on your lineup, but it just segued me into my rant about a luxury player we don’t have the luxury to be carrying.

I'm not ready to throw the towel on him. The talent's there. He's young, let him grow into this league and this team. I agree that he hasn't been good enough, but he's got talent.

Until the team has its own stadium and a USL (or comparable) affiliate, it won't succeed in the US Open Cup). The international limit forces a short squad with three keepers and players that have had no playing time all season.

This game is more frustrating because of the opponent and the lazy play at the end that doubled the deficit, but there was no realistic chance of challenging for the Cup this season, and long term it is better to have extra rest while chasing MLS Cup and the CCL spot. Would have been better to start Sands and Scally, put Berget in the 18 (17...) for Villa, and roll with the B team.

So who else needs to see any more from Lewis before they admit he needs to see minutes? He’s better than Medina - every time he got the ball he created chances, and save for Isi, nobody else on the team can say that, not even Villa.

I’d really like to see an Isi-Villa-Lewis starting front three on Saturday.

I came away feeling exactly the opposite. He' super talented running at people with the ball but he was horrendous in all other aspects of the game. His off-ball movement, link up play, passing, and positional awareness on both D and O was all horrendous. He's so good at going one on one that I still think he should get time as a sub when we really need a goal, but I thought tonight he showed a massive gap in his general understanding that made it clear why he struggles for time. Add the flash of that immaturity we hear about from time to time when he didn't get a call and he picked up the ball and just threw it and things make more sense.

Sorry, but Medina wastes a spot there.

Medina is soft as shit. He’s not DP quality and he’s not capable of handling the speed and physicality of MLS. I’m frankly not even sure what league CFG thinks they will eventually be able to sell/transfer him to - not a top-5 league - and really the only reason to have a young DP is to work the salary cap and sell for a high transfer, but from what I’ve recently seen from him his game won’t get there. He couldn’t even take advantage of B-level RB defenders tonight and Lewis easily outshone him.

My apologies, I wasn’t trying to bust on your lineup, but it just segued me into my rant about a luxury player we don’t have the luxury to be carrying.

Now this we can agree on this Medina looks like a complete bust, this team sure knows how to waste DP slots.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I came away feeling exactly the opposite. He' super talented running at people with the ball but he was horrendous in all other aspects of the game. His off-ball movement, link up play, passing, and positional awareness on both D and O was all horrendous. He's so good at going one on one that I still think he should get time as a sub when we really need a goal, but I thought tonight he showed a massive gap in his general understanding that made it clear why he struggles for time. Add the flash of that immaturity we hear about from time to time when he didn't get a call and he picked up the ball and just threw it and things make more sense.
That’s fascinating, and I’m being serious, because I was in the stands, as opposed to watching on TV, and focused on him and thought he showed more in all areas than just about anybody else.

That’s fascinating, and I’m being serious, because I was in the stands, as opposed to watching on TV, and focused on him and thought he showed more in all areas than just about anybody else.

I was stuck watching on TV, I think you see things better in person so I'll defer to your assessment, I'd rather be wrong on this anyway.

Alright so I'm going to say some things here ...

It's not fair to say this organization doesn't care about the US Open Cup. It is fair to say they are not well-positioned to succeed in that competition. This is a team that scouts internationally -- we are not a domestic team. Look at the squads that go deep in the US Open Cup. It's Kansas City, Red Bulls, Chicago -- teams that are very heavy on domestic players. We are not. So the 5 internationals rule really hampers us (and a team like, say, Atlanta), more than the others.

I do no see that way. We are a domestic league with some darn good international players . The US Open Cup can be the equivalent of UEFA Cup. It has historical prestige and our team should had played with the aim of winning , not just to fulfill an obligation. If the team aim is the just to win the MLS Champion Cup, it may not be at the other end of the rainbow.

NOT Having a trophy empty on that empty glass showcase makes me sad. We can win lets play like these games its a WC game

Since we're close to the midpoint of the season, I think we can now assess our new signings with a certain degree of confidence, and the scouting grade is a B- or a C. We have two knockout successes (Isi and Ibeagha) one meh (Ofori) two that are trending towards disappointment (Medina, and Berget) plus one (Cedric H) who may receive an incomplete at the end of the season. And the fact that the two apparent bad signings are the expensive ones is troubling.

In other news: TMac should never ever make the 18. JLew and Sands should always or almost always make the 18. Awuah shouldn't be in the team. Chanot seems a bit diminished. SAS has obvious limitations, and seems to have as much or more trouble than Sweat with the high press.

Now this we can agree on this Medina looks like a complete bust, this team sure knows how to waste DP slots.
Completely disagree because Lewis did well and that’s his first game in how long. He won’t learn other stuff not getting games. I prefer him then Berget

Reactions: Ulrich
I thought Lewis was our best player tonight. Kid can get fancy. That touch inside the 6 to make room for a shot that otherwise didn't exist showed a lot of composure under pressure. I like him.

ETA: The skinny little bastard also went 2 v 1 in the corner which ended up with him in possession and a pink cow spinning on his back like a top.

There was one point early in the first half where the ball was on the near side, and Lewis was all the way on the far sideline with absolutely no hope of making an impact on the play. It felt like that's his position so he wasn't going to move, but perhaps he should have tried to support a little more. He's a skillful player who doesn't seem to have the game awareness that Vieira probably values. He's not a thinking-man's player, he's a player who comes in to run at opposing defenses, and it definitely feels like he's more effective as a late-game sub to help chase a result.

We really need to see more of Sands to assess if he may be a better fit to replace Herrera than Ofori. Ofori has already played 300 or 400 minutes and is not particularly decisive as a tackler, doesn't impose himself physically, has a meh sense of anticipation, and although is generally correct in his passing, is not particularly imaginative and losses a lot of valuable time getting set before passing due to his inability with his right foot. Sands at least seems more comfortable playing with both feet and his range of passing is excellent (we saw that already in Ecuador 18 months ago), so if he is not very physical and hesitates to anticipate or tackle, those are defects that he shares with Ofori, so...

There was one point early in the first half where the ball was on the near side, and Lewis was all the way on the far sideline with absolutely no hope of making an impact on the play. It felt like that's his position so he wasn't going to move, but perhaps he should have tried to support a little more. He's a skillful player who doesn't seem to have the game awareness that Vieira probably values. He's not a thinking-man's player, he's a player who comes in to run at opposing defenses, and it definitely feels like he's more effective as a late-game sub to help chase a result.
That’s actually how Vieira wants the far side wing to play. We saw the exact same thing with Harrison.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
We really need to see more of Sands to assess if he may be a better fit to replace Herrera than Ofori. Ofori has already played 300 or 400 minutes and is not particularly decisive as a tackler, doesn't impose himself physically, has a meh sense of anticipation, and although is generally correct in his passing, is not particularly imaginative and losses a lot of valuable time getting set before passing due to his inability with his right foot. Sands at least seems more comfortable playing with both feet and his range of passing is excellent (we saw that already in Ecuador 18 months ago), so if he is not very physical and hesitates to anticipate or tackle, those are defects that he shares with Ofori, so...

I thought it was strange Sands came on so late, I would have rather seen the timing of the Sands and Scally subs swapped.

It's not fair to say this organization doesn't care about the US Open Cup. It is fair to say they are not well-positioned to succeed in that competition. This is a team that scouts internationally -- we are not a domestic team.

And yet our most promising domestic talent is allowed to go searching for a spot in Europe. Hope he's enjoying daddy's new training facility.

Lol definitely not talking about that bygone. Tajouri-Salah well on his way to helping us forget we even lost him.
So who is this you're talking about that went to Europe to use daddy's facilities?