San Jose Quakes Avaya Stadium Nearly Completed. [photos]

PROHIBITED/RESTRICTED ITEMS:

• Weapons of any kind
  • Incendiary devices (i.e. fireworks, smoke bombs, flares, etc.) per Health and Safety Code 12677 and punishable by a fine up to $1000, 6 months in jail, or both).
  • Illegal substances, drugs, or chemicals of any kind
  • Backpacks and large bags that exceed 16" x 16" x 8"
  • Umbrellas
  • Poles and/or staffs, of any kind to including but not limited to metal, plastic, or wood (except in designated supporters sections)
  • Drums (except in designated supporters sections and approved by Stadium Operations)
  • Horns of any kind
  • Whistles
  • Streamers
  • Frisbees or inflated balls of any kind
  • Laser pointers
  • Food and beverage or metal, plastic or glass containers brought in from outside the stadium (except for 1 water bottle per person)
  • Bicycles
  • Aerosol cans (i.e. hairspray, silly string, etc.)
  • Smoking
  • Animals (except approved service dogs)
  • Any items deemed by management to be inappropriate, offensive, or potentially hazardous
*Except in designated supporters sections and approved by Stadium Operations

No items may be displayed in a manner that may obstruct the view of other guests or in any way create a safety hazard for others as determined by stadium operations staff. The use of confetti as an expression of celebration is not prohibited, but will be kept under review.

The use of confetti as an expression of celebration is not prohibited, but will be kept under review.

OH NOZZZ! Looks like they're not that authentic out in San Jose too! :rolleyes:
I've been to tons of Quakes games and 1906 Ultras always have flags, smoke, banners, confetti, megaphones, drums and everything in between. The only time they are limited the way we are is the game at Stanford and Levis.

Reactions: Kjbert
Out of curiosity, how (or why) are they allowed to get away with it when it specifically says smoke (etc) would be in violation of a health/safety code that carries a somewhat heavy penalty?

Buck Shaw Stadium
4853_Buck_Shaw_Stadium.jpg

vs.

Avaya Stadium
10365467_10152771604244613_2407467723020189864_o-jpg.43515
So much better.

If you think about it, getting rid of Chivas, having SJ move to a better, bigger stadium and then allow NYC and Orlando join this year, average attendance should be WAY up. Chivas and SJ each drew an average of 7k and 10k respectively (in SJ's defense Buck Shaw only held 10k, so they sold out).

So much better.

If you think about it, getting rid of Chivas, having SJ move to a better, bigger stadium and then allow NYC and Orlando join this year, average attendance should be WAY up. Chivas and SJ each drew an average of 7k and 10k respectively (in SJ's defense Buck Shaw only held 10k, so they sold out).
For sure. The league average will easily eclipse 20k!

I think the league average should easily eclipse 21,000.

Losing deadweight in Chivas
San Jose going to a stadium nearly 2x as big (while also still playing games at Stanford and Levi's I believe)
I heard Seattle is expanding their regular seating capacity
The novelty of Orland0 and NYCFC should attract large crowds
The 2 NY derby games should be sold out.
I expect a bump in attendance wherever we go really.
I think DC and NE will both be good again this year and NE was doing ~30,000 consistently the last few games of the season.
Toronto expanded to 30,000

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I think the league average should easily eclipse 21,000.

Losing deadweight in Chivas
San Jose going to a stadium nearly 2x as big (while also still playing games at Stanford and Levi's I believe)
I heard Seattle is expanding their regular seating capacity
The novelty of Orland0 and NYCFC should attract large crowds
The 2 NY derby games should be sold out.
I expect a bump in attendance wherever we go really.
I think DC and NE will both be good again this year and NE was doing ~30,000 consistently the last few games of the season.
Toronto expanded to 30,000
DCU and the Revs will get 30 once they have there own stadiums, I would like the see the Revs in actual Boston.

I've been watching this stadium since it was a dirt lot. While they did add some things to it from the original plans, bringing what was a $70m stadium up to around $100m, I am quite dissapointed. Sure, it's nice and it's a great improvement over Buck Shaw, but it's just so cheap looking. I've seen better high school football stadiums. In this era of MLS, we should expect much better venues to be put up, especially if you want to appeal to that market. Do you think all of the wealthy people in that region want to go to that stadium?

I've been watching this stadium since it was a dirt lot. While they did add some things to it from the original plans, bringing what was a $70m stadium up to around $100m, I am quite dissapointed. Sure, it's nice and it's a great improvement over Buck Shaw, but it's just so cheap looking. I've seen better high school football stadiums. In this era of MLS, we should expect much better venues to be put up, especially if you want to appeal to that market. Do you think all of the wealthy people in that region want to go to that stadium?
100% yes. The ouside is nothing fancy, but the inside is beautiful. They used a ton of reclaimed wood from Moffet Field and it looks great. Most importantly, the luxury boxes are some of the best in the league. They're field level and sold out almost immediately.

Stadium looks kick ass to me.

Then again I'm one of those old dinosaur types who goes to a game to see the game and couldn't care less what any stadium has to offer as long as I can get in and out of the Mens Room in a timely fashion. :D

Hell, I think I'm the only guy in New York who was upset they knocked down Shea Stadium.

i dont see the point of the raised seating. its stupid

when new york city gets their stadium, the seats MUST be touching the ground. not even raised a little. its better for fan expirence

i dont see the point of the raised seating. its stupid

when new york city gets their stadium, the seats MUST be touching the ground. not even raised a little. its better for fan expirence
I thought about this last night and I disagree.

You get a better feel for where everyone is when you're raised up.

When you're at the same level:
l.jpg

When you're raised up slightly:
Jan06VWC2.JPG

Suddenly I can tell exactly how open everyone is and where they really are on the court.

I agree with both of you. While those luxury suites are very nice, they will look bad on the TV side of the stadium and I believe they should have put seats down to the field on that side. Typically the atmosphere is better overall when the fans are right on top of you, instead of a few guys in suits eating sushi.
From my perspective, I much prefer to be a bit further up, which is why I got seats in the 200 level. I've had an opportunity to stand on the field for MLS matches before in "VIP" seating and i'd much rather sit in a regular seat elevated a bit. There is a reason that the main TV cameras are stationed where they are.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Stadium looks kick ass to me.

Then again I'm one of those old dinosaur types who goes to a game to see the game and couldn't care less what any stadium has to offer as long as I can get in and out of the Mens Room in a timely fashion. :D

Hell, I think I'm the only guy in New York who was upset they knocked down Shea Stadium.

You and Billy Joel

Reactions: Gene
When you're at the same level:
l.jpg

When you're raised up slightly:
Jan06VWC2.JPG

Suddenly I can tell exactly how open everyone is and where they really are on the court.

Ha! Great shot of my Villanova Wildcats. That was a great season. #1 seed and Elite 8 finish.

Where did you get that picture?

100% yes. The ouside is nothing fancy, but the inside is beautiful. They used a ton of reclaimed wood from Moffet Field and it looks great. Most importantly, the luxury boxes are some of the best in the league. They're field level and sold out almost immediately.

This. And the outside will look better once they put up the facing. They rejected the first two options and are waiting to figure out what looks best.

Reactions: Kjbert and SFphoto
Pretty boring design if I'm being honest. Obviously a massive upgrade though.

I flew home this weekend and managed to take a tour of the Quakes new stadium. It is absolutely gorgeous. Photos do not do it justice at all. It looks kind of dinky and whatever in photos, but in person, it's amazing. First off, we were very lucky to be there on the very first day that the Quakes were actually training on the field. So we really got to see what it will look like in action.

The seats at Avaya are very steep, which is awesome. That means you're a lot closer to the field, despite being high up. The "nosebleed" seats have a fantastic view. I personally prefer to be up high so you can watch the play develop. There are also tons of seats right on the field if you want that intimate view.

The supporters section is in the seats behind the goal as well as the "safe standing" section directly under that.

Everyone saying that it looks boring and plain are just straight up wrong. They took tons of reclaimed redwood from a nearby decommissioned air force base and put it all over. So there are beautiful redwood fixtures everywhere. I know the "NA's Largest Outdoor Bar" has become a bit of a joke, but it actually is massive and awesome. That section will be a general admission, standing section. The food and beer selections at this place are going to be unmatched in the MLS.

The stadium site is also on a MASSIVE amount of land. 70 acres I think. Land which they are going to develop into retail/bars and restaurants.

The roof is great too, but for some reason, they didn't extend it far enough to cover all of the seats. Only rows 15 and up. That was a bit of a head scratcher.

I know that some people disliked the fact that the seats didn't go all the way to the ground. What's cool about that is that you can see the field perfectly if you are walking around the concourse. So if you're stuck in line buying beer, you have a pretty unobstructed view.

I've been going to Quakes games since I was a little kid and they were the Clash. We've never had a home and it kind brought tears to my eyes to see what they have finally created. I have never had the chance to watch a soccer game in a soccer specific stadium. It is going to be, in my opinion, the best stadium/game day experience in the entire Bay Area. Even better than AT&T Park, and I absolutely love that stadium. Hell, it is going to be one of the top stadiums in the MLS for sure.

I hope that NYCFC follow in their footsteps, but in a much larger scale.

Here are some photos. Happy to answer any random questions!

0FDYkcU.jpg

LyQ8unf.jpg

K9JqCsE.jpg

VqzzBOR.jpg

0QwGEBK.jpg

I flew home this weekend and managed to take a tour of the Quakes new stadium. It is absolutely gorgeous. Photos do not do it justice at all. It looks kind of dinky and whatever in photos, but in person, it's amazing. First off, we were very lucky to be there on the very first day that the Quakes were actually training on the field. So we really got to see what it will look like in action.

The seats at Avaya are very steep, which is awesome. That means you're a lot closer to the field, despite being high up. The "nosebleed" seats have a fantastic view. I personally prefer to be up high so you can watch the play develop. There are also tons of seats right on the field if you want that intimate view.

The supporters section is in the seats behind the goal as well as the "safe standing" section directly under that.

Everyone saying that it looks boring and plain are just straight up wrong. They took tons of reclaimed redwood from a nearby decommissioned air force base and put it all over. So there are beautiful redwood fixtures everywhere. I know the "NA's Largest Outdoor Bar" has become a bit of a joke, but it actually is massive and awesome. That section will be a general admission, standing section. The food and beer selections at this place are going to be unmatched in the MLS.

The stadium site is also on a MASSIVE amount of land. 70 acres I think. Land which they are going to develop into retail/bars and restaurants.

The roof is great too, but for some reason, they didn't extend it far enough to cover all of the seats. Only rows 15 and up. That was a bit of a head scratcher.

I know that some people disliked the fact that the seats didn't go all the way to the ground. What's cool about that is that you can see the field perfectly if you are walking around the concourse. So if you're stuck in line buying beer, you have a pretty unobstructed view.

I've been going to Quakes games since I was a little kid and they were the Clash. We've never had a home and it kind brought tears to my eyes to see what they have finally created. I have never had the chance to watch a soccer game in a soccer specific stadium. It is going to be, in my opinion, the best stadium/game day experience in the entire Bay Area. Even better than AT&T Park, and I absolutely love that stadium. Hell, it is going to be one of the top stadiums in the MLS for sure.

0FDYkcU.jpg

LyQ8unf.jpg

K9JqCsE.jpg

VqzzBOR.jpg

0QwGEBK.jpg
Safe standing is bae

Reactions: SFphoto

0FDYkcU.jpg

LyQ8unf.jpg

K9JqCsE.jpg

VqzzBOR.jpg

0QwGEBK.jpg

It looks beautiful. Hopefully we end up with something like this.

Reactions: SFphoto