Yankee Stadium Needs To Improve

Just got an email from the team with a link to a survey about the experience at the stadium yesterday. Looks like they are going to improve things.
Filling it out now, and stumped about 3-4 questions in. They want to know if I engaged with a club ambassador outside the stadium. Well, someone handed me about 8-9 schedule magnets outside the stadium -- but damned if I know whether he was an "Ambassador." I'm gonna say yes?

Reactions: Drainyoo
Filling it out now, and stumped about 3-4 questions in. They want to know if I engaged with a club ambassador outside the stadium. Well, someone handed me about 8-9 schedule magnets outside the stadium -- but damned if I know whether he was an "Ambassador." I'm gonna say yes?

Hahah. I didn't run into any of them.

Hahah. I didn't run into any of them.

Yeah, mine was on the corner across the street from the gate and I passed him on the way in. He had a box of the magnets, and like I said handed me about 8.

I wondered why they were handing them out outside. I even looked at the magnet to see if maybe it was an unofficial sponsor maybe, but it doesn't even have an official sponsor. It's a pure NYCFC product on its face.

Of course, when I took the survey, I almost just answered no because I didn't think of this kid as an ambassador, he seemed just like a temp worker - friendly and nice - who probably got a day job. When I read "Ambassadors" I pictured folks in dark suits or formal wear, wearing a sash or something. Maybe top hats. Then I realized, no, that kid with the box who handed me 8 magnets so he could be done sooner was the ambassador!

Reactions: Drainyoo
You guys need to write them and complain. That way when we get our stadium in <10 years (sheikh willing) they already know what to expect. Knowing them, it would probably end up worse.

Yeah, mine was on the corner across the street from the gate and I passed him on the way in. He had a box of the magnets, and like I said handed me about 8.

I wondered why they were handing them out outside. I even looked at the magnet to see if maybe it was an unofficial sponsor maybe, but it doesn't even have an official sponsor. It's a pure NYCFC product on its face.

Of course, when I took the survey, I almost just answered no because I didn't think of this kid as an ambassador, he seemed just like a temp worker - friendly and nice - who probably got a day job. When I read "Ambassadors" I pictured folks in dark suits or formal wear, wearing a sash or something. Maybe top hats. Then I realized, no, that kid with the box who handed me 8 magnets so he could be done sooner was the ambassador!
I went to the McDonald's across the street and a guy handed me a magnet. He was wearing soccer athletic pants and a zip track jacket. I thought the magnet was not through the club officially, and wondered why someone would do it by themselves, but then I noticed the same calendar was on the back of the team sheets we got in the stadiums.

Reactions: mgarbowski
It's just so frustrating hearing all of the nitpicking, @Nicholas Constantino. Don't do things at the most non-optimal times and in the most non-optimal way and be upset about non-optimal results. What about the positives?

How awesome was that tifo? Pretty awesome!
How great was the crowd? Pretty awesome!
How about those whole stadium "Ole!" moments? Sweeeeeet!

It was ALL good yesterday.

You realize it's OK to be relentlessly positive about the whole event on Sunday and still think there were things that could've been vastly improved? Seriously, it's OK. It won't make you any less of a fan.

do you think theres any way we can still have the club print us a hard ticket from the first match? would really like to have it and frame it but...

Reactions: Malatesta
I'm in 14A, row 6. Row 5 was completely empty except 2 people. This was the first section in the entire stadium to sell out during season ticket selections. I was disappointed to say the least. The atmosphere in 14A was pathetic. I was yelled at and cursed at for standing during the first 2 fucking minutes. Instead of being hyped up and yelling to support the team, people were yelling at me. It's a fucking soccer match people!

I will add that it was an amazing match, the tifo was great, the supporters section was bringing the noise and the meet & greet afterwards that I was lucky enough to attend was also a great experience. I'll never forget it!
Were you sitting next to me? lol I'm row 7 seats 9&10 ...I got yelled at for standing too so I just yelled back at them

Reactions: Paul
Were you sitting next to me? lol I'm row 7 seats 9&10 ...I got yelled at for standing too so I just yelled back at them

Yup, I've got Seats 7 & 8 in Row 6. I was the guy wearing the brown leather jacket and striped sky blue/grey beanie and sky blue scarf. Starting with the next match I'll stand whenever I damn well please and I suggest you do the same. Also, let's get a few chants going as best we can.

Reactions: dex and Kevin
Yup, I've got Seats 7 & 8 in Row 6. I was the guy wearing the brown leather jacket and striped sky blue/grey beanie and sky blue scarf. Starting with the next match I'll stand whenever I damn well please and I suggest you do the same. Also, let's get a few chants going as best we can.
I'll be sure to yell out your name next game. I also want to make a sign saying Mix have my baby. You mightve heard me yelling it throughout the game.

It was a great night by the team and supporters, but not a great night for the crew at Yankee Stadium. On pretty much every possible measure, Yankee Stadium failed its first big test in serving a soccer crowd.
  • There were huge delays trying to enter the stadium. Presumably, this was due to the new screening system that involved x-ray scanners and fans emptying their pockets. Still, this needs to get a lot better, and not just for soccer - baseball fans won't tolerate these delays either.
  • Merchandise stands were insufficiently stocked and staffed. The long lines to get an opening day scarf or other memento were impossible to overcome, and where there weren't long lines, merchandise ran out.
  • Food purchase was nearly impossible. The vendors were completely unprepared for a soccer crowd rushing for provisions at halftime. I left my seat right at the 45' mark at the end of the first half and got in line for a burger at Juniors. An eternity later, and with a kid melting down, I returned to my seat at the 60' mark. It is completely unacceptable. It was even worse for the people in the pizza line to my left. After about 20-25 minutes in line, and with the second half having just kicked off, it was announced to them that they'd completely run out of pizza. I kid you not.
  • Parking was a disaster. Upon trying to leave our lot, the gate was broken. There was a long (15 minute) delay finding someone who could open it. Then, they insisted on checking out each car one-by-one and manually opening the gate, leading to more long delays.
None of this was enough to ruin a great experience, but none of it is acceptable either. The Yankee organization is a proud one, and these guys try to do the best work. Hopefully, they are aware of these problems and will improve over the course of the season.
They were out of beer in the supporters area. Are you f-n kidding me

do you think theres any way we can still have the club print us a hard ticket from the first match? would really like to have it and frame it but...
I definitely saw a family with about 6 or 7 hard tickets enter the game in front of me. They looked just like the tickets that the club tweeted the picture of for the giveaway.

My experience was quite different from what I've seen and read. After stopping at Mcdonalds got on line at gate 6 around 2:55. I think exactly 3pm they started letting people in. There were lines but nothing like some of the pictures I've seen. By 3:10 I was in the stadium buying some stuff in the gift shop. Walked past the main yankee store and didn't even bother to go in it was so crowded. I know I won't always be able to get there 2 hours before, hope they figure it out. That airport like security is a bit crazy. Read they even delayed the start of the game so more people could get it and with that survey I'm sure the club knows it was a cluster fuck.

They were out of beer in the supporters area. Are you f-n kidding me
Did they have $6 beer there like Pernetti heavily suggested?

Also, that shit was predictable, as was the 1 beer per person in the bleachers and extremely long beer lines in the area. I actually mentioned that in the course of TR alternatives.

Reactions: jomosono
$6.00 beer? :eek:

In section 208 the vendors were selling $9.75 Budweisers and $15.00 Heinekens. Don't know what they had at the concession stands.

Reactions: Kevin