Saunders officially traded to Orlando!

I first saw this on my Twitter feed checking my phone at work. MLS retweeted the Orlando post. I nearly shouted like a 6 year old girl.

Despite all that positive emotion, I had to contain myself, as the explain as to why I shouted would have taken long to explain...

what? I don't recall heroics season 1. Pretty sure the best you can argue was he was not our biggest problem at the time but when when some crap started to fall off the roster he then became public enemy number 1.

Loads of fans openly adored Saunders in 2015. There were Saunders chants. There were Saunders player of the month awards. There was a Saunders tifo. I didn't get it. He was average at best.

Then it suddenly became trendy to blame him for literally everything wrong with the team (despite his play not really improving/deteriorating at all). So I'm sure you'll get some pretty serious Saunders revisionism from some people on here.

And now his watch has ended.

16299008_10208211451948954_3485915890187986486_n.jpg

I couldn't be more pleased to see him go, but as a footnote I will add that I still believe that he is an average-ish MLS GK, who was exposed to a greater degree behind a bad defense and a difficult system. While there are a handful-ish number of objectively great GKs each season, there are some pretty lousy GKs in MLS, including many who start. It shouldn't be this way, but MLS is a league with bad GKs and terrible officiating. From the embarrassing number of games I have watched around the league, Josh is not the exception but instead the GK folly rate is high. With that said, no one prefers grey hair and agita, and we have a team with championship aspirations, so I want a well-above average MLS GK on my team.

I'll miss the fan wave he lead with the SS after every home win. He was a good guy who, as much as any player or fan, clearly felt horrible when the team lost and great when they won.
The one thing I'll remember about Josh was not his terrible performance on the field at times, but how great he was with the fans. Great guy and I wish him the best.