So... Tr Is Starting Their Own Forum.

Why? As far as I could tell, most people thought it was best to not try to reinvent the wheel and have the group fold into the forums here. Apparently it was announced at the meeting that they are starting their own forum.

SMH.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm a TR member and this move just doesn't make sense to me.
If it's anything like their Facebook group, it'll be sexist, bro-ish, and unreadable. Hard pass from me.

I agree. Just hope they don't go with phpbb or another free platform. Lots of exploits.

Another concern of mine. If a board member is responsible for putting the forum together, I hope they know what the hell they are doing. Being that big and that polarizing just spells a lot of trouble for the forum. That was something I voiced when the thread on FB was open. I don't want to see another TR run ANYTHING.

Dan touched on the meat of my concerns. If the TR keeps growing... and members use the forums for info... which is traffic to the website... and that traffic is monetized... and we're already paying members... what is that money for? Let's say the first response is maintaining the forums. (server costs, design costs, hosting, etc.) Ok, ad dollars should certainly amount to significantly more than that costs. What is that money for?

Was this voted on at the meeting?
Well we have a voice. I hope it isn't monetized. However, if it is I would imagine money would go towards whatever we want! I would vote for subsidized away trips.

Right now I think Third Rail has a bit of a trust fund. We are early days of that group organizationally so I can understand if we hold onto the money for the most part. But in a few years, after some experience running this baby I think we will see much more innovative uses of the income from memberships.

Reactions: SFphoto
I can't say I'm too surprised by the move although it doesn't make sense given the great established base here and Dan's continued insistence to reach out and give them an outlet here. Just another thing that supports my choice to not renew with them.

the nycfc supporters page is a general group not ran by the third rail and the third rail private group is obviously ran and monitored by the board members

the nycfc supporters page is a general group not ran by the third rail and the third rail private group is obviously ran and monitored by the board members
I have to disagree with this. If you would like to know why, I will gladly take this into a private discussion.

I'm assuming it's a closed forum i.e. only TR members.

I don't mind (not TR). They have stuff they want to discuss away from the public, including non-TR NYCFC fans and other fans. This is an open forum, so it's natural they would create their own forum to discuss sensitive TR business.

I do hope they still come over here to talk general stuff about the team.
I will still be here...forever and ever and ever <3

I'm running for Director of Membership for the Third Rail and, while I have no knowledge (yet) of the TR inner workings or the rumored history/bad blood between some TR board members and some people here, I will say unequivocally without pointing fingers that all NYCFC supporters can and should work together for the greater good of the club. Now that doesn't mean TR didn't have a good reason for creating their own forums, but I think this infighting among supporters should stop and if I become the Director of Membership I'll be trying to reach new members everywhere I can including these forums, which I love. Where can you find better, more dedicated supporters than these forums? Hopefully the relationship between the forum members here and the TR can be improved in the future.

I'm running for Director of Membership for the Third Rail and, while I have no knowledge (yet) of the TR inner workings or the rumored history/bad blood between some TR board members and some people here, I will say unequivocally without pointing fingers that all NYCFC supporters can and should work together for the greater good of the club. Now that doesn't mean TR didn't have a good reason for creating their own forums, but I think this infighting among supporters should stop and if I become the Director of Membership I'll be trying to reach new members everywhere I can including these forums, which I love. Where can you find better, more dedicated supporters than these forums? Hopefully the relationship between the forum members here and the TR can be improved in the future.
Our doors have always been open, to everyone.

I can speak to a few of these points.

The main reason we are moving to a forum, as many people here have pointed out, facebook is just not the place for meaningful conversations and archiving.

The reason we are going to our own platform is just more control on our side. We will be able to maintain our databases. Dan has reached out and we have spoken about having a portal here on a few occasions. The reason we aren't going in that direction is one of control. It will be easier to maintain on our side if we have our own. What Dan and you all here have built is amazing. We just would like something that is our own.

It will not be monetized. I do not know where that idea came from. It will be free to all members. We will not make money off of it. We will use dues to run the administrative side.

We will be asking members to moderate the forum. Not board members.

I think that answers all of the points provided from above.