Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Get rid of the track and field across from Yankee Stadium, use up some of the old stadium land. BOOM! We've got ourselves a spot with public transit, and parking space.

This quote was interesting:
"So the soccer league and the club were off to the Bronx, just south of Yankee Stadium. They obtained an option to buy a factory, where they planned to build a stadium. The factory, in turn, would be moved to a new building. But the option expired before the team could craft a deal with Mayor Bill de Blasio, Mr. Bloomberg’s successor."
I did not know they had an official agreement at some point signed with GAL.

This is also kind of encouraging:
“New York City F. C. is looking at sites all over New York City,” said Risa Heller, a spokeswoman for the team. “We are working with the de Blasio administration to find a world-class site for a soccer-specific stadium.”

Of course we don't know how closely they "are working with" the mayor's office, but that still makes me happy to hear. What this article does make clear though, is that they do not currently have a site that is anywhere beyond the extremely early stages of the process, which means we have a LONG way to go.

Yes. The article cleared up a lot of the background details about (1) the West Side pier (there really was a plan); (2) Flushing Meadow Park (the Mets did help kill it by asking for "prohibitively high rent" to use parking lots; (3) and the YS neighborhood factory plan, where it sounds like DiBlasio does get blame for dragging his feet until the option on the factory expired, at which point the factory owner either just refused or asked for a much higher price.

Basically this article confirms that just about every rumor we've heard was true.
I also think the club and MLS fed the story to the league in order to sate the fan's need to get news, even though there weren't any new developments to report. Even the Columbia option at the center of the story seems to have no special traction right now:
"The move to the already sports crowded complex is in an exploratory stage, and no commitments have been made. But club executives, who continue to look at other sites, said that if it was feasible and the sides could come to terms, it might be the best solution."
So the news about this site is if it is feasible and if the sides come to terms, it could work.
Thanks for that insight club executives.

That article was very informative. Clears up a lot of rumors about the other options. Sounds like the Bronx site would not have to be dead. No reason they can't reopen the deal with PAL since they once had an option.

Huh? This seems like it would be an attractive location for Westchester and CT fans. And what's not ideal about the Metro North stop across the bridge?

The Metro North station is on the Hudson line, which is the least used of the 3 Metro North lines. You can transfer from Harlem, but that turns into a long trip, and the MTA has not provided convenient times for soccer games. If they provide direct trains from all 3 lines as they do for Yankee games, then it's a good option, but they haven't done that for us so far.

Mostly, there is no parking, which many from the northern suburbs use even if the trains are a good option. Maybe they will have a plan for that.

Reactions: Kjbert
The construction on the A would need to finish and they would need to let the C run till 215th with the A running Express and the C running local. A run a express 1 maybe bring back the 9.

Very easy for me to get there from White Plains via car. But the lack of parking negates it. All in all, I am behind this plan. They just need a parking solution. Can't see how they couldn't develop a solution. RedBull couldn't but we would need to.

7 minutes farther from grand central than YS on the Hudson line. I'd have to experiment with Google maps a bit but while slightly worse than a location near YS from a transportation point of view I think this would still be better than Queens for most people.

Biggest problem I see is parking. I doubt that there is enough room on site.I think they would have to build something across Broadway or even across the river.Biggest thing in favor of this location from my point of view is that it could potentially have some pretty nice views.

Oh yeah, and it would be walking distance from my apartment.

me too :cool:

Fun Facts:

Sunil Gulati, president of USSF, is also a professor at Columbia U. and former president of Kraft Soccer for the NE Revolution. The Kraft family donated the money for Robert K. Kraft Field, which is the current football stadium. Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots and Chairman and CEO of the Kraft Group, is a Columbia alumni.

Fun Facts:

Sunil Gulati, president of USSF, is also a professor at Columbia U. and former president of Kraft Soccer for the NE Revolution. The Kraft family donated the money for Robert K. Kraft Field, which is the current football stadium. Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots and Chairman and CEO of the Kraft Group, is a Columbia alumni.

Interesting stuff and probably not irrelevant.

My personal hope is that they are using this site to put pressure on GAL and/or DiBlasio to make the Bronx deal happen, but who knows.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff and probably not irrelevant.

My personal hope is that they are using this site to put pressure on PAL and/or DiBlasio to make the Bronx deal happen, but who knows.
I love the Bronx GAL spot as well, despite living directly across the street from this proposed spot

Reactions: Kjbert and The Toe
7 minutes farther from grand central than YS on the Hudson line. I'd have to experiment with Google maps a bit but while slightly worse than a location near YS from a transportation point of view I think this would still be better than Queens for most people.

This does raise an interesting point, which is that it may be much faster for people to get there from the city via Metro North than via the subway. Those worried about the 1 hour plus commutes from Brooklyn (which is a fair concern) should examine taking the subway to GCS and then taking Metro North. The trip takes 18-22 minutes depending upon the train, and is a very comfortable ride compared to the subway.

AKeKH9Q.jpg

Canceling my season tix since the rent covers my new suite

Maybe NYCFC can use this site if they are to host a US Open cup match? Use the game to test the waters and see how people react to hosting a match in the area in terms of transport?

Maybe NYCFC can use this site if they are to host a US Open cup match? Use the game to test the waters and see how people react to hosting a match in the area in terms of transport?
they probably will. They can;t use YS due to scheduling, I presume. Or they will simply play Cup matches Away