• Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think this is a smoke screen for 2 main reasons:

1. SSS. This won't be one. Seeing american football lines on the field as a permanent solution runs contrary to the direction the MLS is headed and what NYCFC has preached from the start.

SSS is a big deal if we want to have any credibility on the world stage and that includes attracting world class talent. Take a look at how beautiful the fields are in the great stadiums in Europe. Then imagine convincing a great player to come here with the instruction to start his run at the 40 yard line.

2. No deal is ever really dead. Until ground is broken on a site, every deal is still on the table. Leaking this site amps up pressure on other sites to get back in the game.

No location will please everyone, but I'd rather wait an extra year or two to get a great solution than jump at a quick fix we'll regret after 2 games.

Maps folks, this site is 90 blocks from Columbia, they won't be wandering up from the library
What are you talking about? There are free shuttles between campus, and Columbia University has its school of medicine/health care in 168th Street, and practices in the Allen Pavilion. If you take the 1 train its easy access as well as the A train.

The stadium being next to Yankee stadium would be the ideal location, for commutes. I always felt this was the second best option, unless CFG created an awesome stadium in the Piers in Manhattan. This Stadium is in Manhattan. Easily accessible by Metro North at Marble Hill, the 1 Train (For all NYC FOLKS - 42nd Street Transfer (- Grand Central -Metro North, 4/5/6,S - Direct N, Q, R,, the A train for people from Brooklyn on 14th Street for the L.

The stadiums closest metro is 1 train at 215, A train at 207 and Metro North - Marble Hill Station. The walk is a breeze, and imagine the Walk and the chants!. There are parking garages near by.

Also you guys are forgetting it's in MANHATTAN..... I know you guys say so what, but do you know this is the closest we will get to a stadium in this Island unless a shitload of money is invested in building one on the water/piers. And heck maybe we can get more NJ fans as well, like those in fort lee.

Reactions: CP_Scouse

1. SSS. This won't be one. Seeing american football lines on the field as a permanent solution runs contrary to the direction the MLS is headed and what NYCFC has preached from the start.

SSS is a big deal if we want to have any credibility on the world stage and that includes attracting world class talent. Take a look at how beautiful the fields are in the great stadiums in Europe. Then imagine convincing a great player to come here with the instruction to start his run at the 40 yard line.

2. No deal is ever really dead. Until ground is broken on a site, every deal is still on the table. Leaking this site amps up pressure on other sites to get back in the game.

No location will please everyone, but I'd rather wait an extra year or two to get a great solution than jump at a quick fix we'll regret after 2 games.

given that it would likely be a grass field, i don't think gridiron lines would be an issue

The stadium being next to Yankee stadium would be the ideal location, for commutes. I always felt this was the second best option, unless CFG created an awesome stadium in the Piers in Manhattan. This Stadium is in Manhattan. Easily accessible by Metro North at Marble Hill, the 1 Train (For all NYC FOLKS - 42nd Street Transfer (- Grand Central -Metro North, 4/5/6,S - Direct N, Q, R,, the A train for people from Brooklyn on 14th Street for the L.

The stadiums closest metro is 1 train at 215, A train at 207 and Metro North - Marble Hill Station. The walk is a breeze, and imagine the Walk and the chants!. There are parking garages near by.

Also you guys are forgetting it's in MANHATTAN..... I know you guys say so what, but do you know this is the closest we will get to a stadium in this Island unless a shitload of money is invested in building one on the water/piers. And heck maybe we can get more NJ fans as well, like those in fort lee.

I've refrained from adding my complaint about the location to the ever growing pile, because I hate how everyone whines about locations that aren't particularly convenient for them, but I cannot not respond to this.

This location is easily the least accessible spot in Manhattan, and much less accessible and centrally located than northern Brooklyn, western Queens, or various other non-Manhattan spots. So to say that, "hey, it's Manhattan, that's great" is way off the mark. And there are garages nearby but they have nowhere near the necessary capacity.

This spot is one and one-half hours from my home in western central Queens via public transport on a weekday in rush hour. 1.5 hours Coming home on a Saturday or Sunday night will be easily 2 hours plus. This even though I'm less than 11 miles away. Two hours to go 11 miles. This location is a disaster.

It's a great location for a Metro-North commuter, like myself, but I am having a hard time getting behind it.

We currently have so many great places outside of the stadium to grab food, beer, and meet up with friends before the games that it'd be hard to give that up. If you put the stadium at the Columbia Sports Complex, you lose so much of that. And let's face it, the camaraderie/social aspect of being a supporter or season ticket holder is an enormous part of a lot of people's fan experience.

I'd much rather sacrifice a little bit of a longer commute to a stadium for a better game day experience.

Reactions: Vallos and The Toe
ok someone please feel free to correct me but am I wrong in thinking this site/location is abysmal? I mean a club that wants to aim high all of a sudden will have to share the field with an Ivy League football and soccer team? The location being way way up town manhattan, my father used to work at Columbia University and I used to drive up there taking the west side highway so I know the location quite well......is this really the best we can do? I am very iffy on this site, and I hope this does not happen. Given all of the money that CFG, Yankees, and the contacts both have, let's hope something better can be done.

Just further to my post above; it's bad not because it's bad for me in particular, but for most of Queens, much of Brooklyn, the East Side of Manhattan, and much of the Bronx. It's also bad for most of the northern suburbs except for a strip near the Hudsin Valley, and abysmal for Long Island.

The good news is I think this article is in no way an indication that the stadium will be there. As I quoted from the article above, the team execs said it could happen if it turns out to be feasible and if they can agree to terms. WHich means they relaly haven't established anything yet.

We have fans from all over the tri-state area and where ever the stadium ends up will inevitably cause people to complain about the travel times

I'm from LI and it currently takes almost two hours to get to YS via mass transit, so there are two options:
  1. Get a straw and suck it up
  2. Build a bridge and get over it
And yes, I'm joking

Houston and FC Dallas, for example, share their grass stadiums with college and football teams and it doesn't effect them too much. So it's completely plausible. Is it the solution? I don't know.

Reactions: Kjbert
Just further to my post above; it's bad not because it's bad for me in particular, but for most of Queens, much of Brooklyn, the East Side of Manhattan, and much of the Bronx. It's also bad for most of the northern suburbs except for a strip near the Hudsin Valley, and abysmal for Long Island.

I know that that Baker Field at Kraft Stadium at Wien Complex (or whatever the hell they call Baker Field nowadays) looks remote on the map, sitting up there at the tippy-top of Manhattan. But its location near two subway stops and a Metro North stop renders it just as accessable as Yankee Stadium.

What is this "most of Queens, much of Brooklyn, the East Side of Manhattan, and much of the Bronx" business? Anyone who would come to Yankee Stadium by train can make it to Baker Field just as easily, by making a few different connections.

People coming from most of Queens would eventually transfer to the A train instead of to the D or 4 trains; and people coming from most of Brooklyn would be able to use any number of transfers from the F, the D, and the Q over to the A train. Then there are those people from Queens and Brooklyn who live right on the A train, so for whom the trip would be a one-seat ride.

The Bronx? Baker Field is practically in the Bronx. There are several stops on the 1 train north of there within the Bronx; and it's walking distance (only about a mile or so) from the nearest subway station on another line, the Kingsbridge Rd. stop on the 4 train.

The East Side? I presume that you mean the Upper East Side and East Harlem; because you cannot possibly be dismissing the the Midtown subways. Measuring on a map, I find that the absolute farthest distance between a station on the A/C line and the edge of the East River coast is approximately a mile and half, meaning that the average distance for a resident of those areas is well under a mile, so walking distance.

It's true that there isn't much parking. The solution: DO. NOT. DRIVE! NYCFC would need to do just as the Nets do, and strongly discourage anyone from coming by car to an arena that is extremely well served by transit. Fans who live outside the City would simply drive to their nearest Metro North or LIRR station, and leave the damn car there.

Anyway, it's anyone's guess as to whether this thing will get off the ground. As I have indicated before, I am not convinced that staying at Yankee Stadium indefinitely would be a bad thing. Of course, this will be up to the Yankees, who, as of right now, probably are convinced. But if their concerns about field damage can be assuaged, then perhaps they will turn around, and all of this will be moot.

Still, the notion that this imaginary stadium at Baker Field is somehow inaccessible just doesn't hold water.

It's a great location for a Metro-North commuter, like myself, but I am having a hard time getting behind it.

We currently have so many great places outside of the stadium to grab food, beer, and meet up with friends before the games that it'd be hard to give that up. If you put the stadium at the Columbia Sports Complex, you lose so much of that. And let's face it, the camaraderie/social aspect of being a supporter or season ticket holder is an enormous part of a lot of people's fan experience.

I'd much rather sacrifice a little bit of a longer commute to a stadium for a better game day experience.

there's a few bars/pubs nearby (2-3 block walk) and you can be damn sure more would open as well as there is available commercial space on Broadway. Look for the opening of "Goodfellas" if this get's done! haha

I do agree however that Bronx Yankee Stadium locale is the best regardless as it's out of the box ready from an infrastructure standpoint

there's a few bars/pubs nearby (2-3 block walk) and you can be damn sure more would open as well as there is available commercial space on Broadway. Look for the opening of "Goodfellas" if this get's done! haha

I do agree however that Bronx Yankee Stadium locale is the best regardless as it's out of the box ready from an infrastructure standpoint

That's where I'm at, too. YS area really can't be beat, it is pretty much plug and play. I'm a little surprised by the level of opposition here though. If this is how people feel about Inwood, can't imagine the outcry if Flushing started looking like the place.

At any rate, I'm going to rehearse for this possibility by pregaming at Irish Eyes this weekend.

Last edited:
I've refrained from adding my complaint about the location to the ever growing pile, because I hate how everyone whines about locations that aren't particularly convenient for them, but I cannot not respond to this.

This location is easily the least accessible spot in Manhattan, and much less accessible and centrally located than northern Brooklyn, western Queens, or various other non-Manhattan spots. So to say that, "hey, it's Manhattan, that's great" is way off the mark. And there are garages nearby but they have nowhere near the necessary capacity.

This spot is one and one-half hours from my home in western central Queens via public transport on a weekday in rush hour. 1.5 hours Coming home on a Saturday or Sunday night will be easily 2 hours plus. This even though I'm less than 11 miles away. Two hours to go 11 miles. This location is a disaster.

How is it the least accessible spot in Manhattan? It has metro north and 2 subway stops.

Do you think its possible to build anywhere else in Manhattan unless you build one of the most expensive stadiums in the history of building stadiums?

Most of us agree that Yankee Stadium area is ideal. But if that doesn't happen we need a SS stadium, the Aqueduct is too far and not serviced by any other subway than the A train. This location besides being in Manhattan seems the best one. I don't know where in Brooklyn, you will find a similar place as accessible. As per garages, I know it sucks, but come on this NYC, there is public transportation (equal for everyone)....and if you must come by car, there are parking garages in the area, and if anything with the $$ they are saving they could build up on one nearby for capacity.

Reactions: Kjbert

The good news is I think this article is in no way an indication that the stadium will be there. As I quoted from the article above, the team execs said it could happen if it turns out to be feasible and if they can agree to terms. WHich means they relaly haven't established anything yet.

I hope your right. It's still hard for me to fathom why we are having such a difficult time finding a good location given the money that CFG and Yankees have, the contacts the Yankees have, and the clear desire for this team to exists as indicated by the number of season tickets and interest/fan fare this team has manage to create. With the right stadium site and the right stadium itself this team will be amazing for many years to come, without it, and we will struggle, simple as that.

Let's everyone RELAXXXXXXXXX. This site was proposed by Colombia University. It leaked out for whatever reason. It's not like NYCFC went knocking on the door. It's not set in stone. Nothing is happening right now. Discuss it, yes. But don't in any way shape or form let it get you angry or discouraged.

How is it the least accessible spot in Manhattan? It has metro north and 2 subway stops.

Do you think its possible to build anywhere else in Manhattan unless you build one of the most expensive stadiums in the history of building stadiums?

Most of us agree that Yankee Stadium area is ideal. But if that doesn't happen we need a SS stadium, the Aqueduct is too far and not serviced by any other subway than the A train. This location besides being in Manhattan seems the best one. I don't know where in Brooklyn, you will find a similar place as accessible. As per garages, I know it sucks, but come on this NYC, there is public transportation (equal for everyone)....and if you must come by car, there are parking garages in the area, and if anything with the $$ they are saving they could build up on one nearby for capacity.
I didn't say we could build elsewhere in Manhattan. I didn't say Aqueduct was better. I didn't say we had a better option. This could be the best option. That doesn't mean it's not abysmal . I did say it is the least accessible spot in Manhattan. READ and don't argue with straw man points I didn't make.
Then you list subway stations and a metro north station (across a river) to claim the area is accessible.
Guess what, Antarctica has a few dozen airports. That doesn't make it accessible.
READ. Nobody has said the subway doesn't go there. They have argued it takes a long time from Brooklyn, Queens, the East side of Manhattan and much of the Bronx. Which it does. That's what makes it unaccessible. Longer than any other spot in Manhattan, which eliminates the main benefit of being in Manhattan, which is that almost the entire subway system is designed to get people between Manhattan and the other boroughs. And again. There's no reason to think this is happening. The premise of article is not at all supported by its facts.
And I'm done. I don't engage with bad faith straw men arguments.
Cheers.

Finally some news. I like this option. Also, college students will bolster our ST holder base. I think 25,000 is too small though.
This complex is nowhere near Columbia -- will be just as big of a pain in the ass for students to get there as it will be for everyone else.