Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
(2012? i was 15...)
SHUT. UP.

Getting Old Baby Boomers GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: JCMore
I think it will be exactly that

I'm not familiar with all the steps & approvals, but should that be the case & they come out and formally announce they've selected WP as the location & are moving forward, what would be next exactly & would announcing this even be a benefit? Obviously any official communication would be great, but on the other hand any type of announcement that could not come to fruition would be tough to swallow if it did fail.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm not familiar with all the steps & approvals, but should that be the case & they come out and formally announce they've selected WP as the location & are moving forward, what would be next exactly & would announcing this even be a benefit? Obviously any official communication would be great, but on the other hand any type of announcement that could not come to fruition would be tough to swallow if it did fail.
I don't think they can go through the land use approvals process without it becoming public knowledge. If they don't announce it, someone will. Might as well get in front, put out your spin, and spread the love to the politicians you need to help.

They wouldn't announce it unless and until they've already spent the requisite (tremendous) amount of time and resources pre-working out potential issues of concern, whether they be procedural, engineering, community relations, etc. The announcement would roughly coincide with the kick-off of the public environmental review and ULURP process.

They wouldn't announce it unless and until they've already spent the requisite (tremendous) amount of time and resources pre-working out potential issues of concern, whether they be procedural, engineering, community relations, etc. The announcement would roughly coincide with the kick-off of the public environmental review and ULURP process.
Right. After the way Sims got burned in the Bronx over the GAL site it won't be one of those "we're very close" announcements. They won't say a word unless we have a definite location.

Then we just have to hope we don't get strangled in red tape and have it drag out for a decade. :rolleyes:

Right. After the way Sims got burned in the Bronx over the GAL site it won't be one of those "we're very close" announcements. They won't say a word unless we have a definite location.

Then we just have to hope we don't get strangled in red tape and have it drag out for a decade. :rolleyes:
To be fair to Sims on that, don't think he ever made any announcements of any kind around GAL, just usual "we're hopeful" kind of stuff and "we have good vibes", etc.

It was Levine who went more all in

To be fair to Sims on that, don't think he ever made any announcements of any kind around GAL, just usual "we're hopeful" kind of stuff and "we have good vibes", etc.

Randy trying to push his own self interest. Even as a die hard Yankee fan, the sooner we get away from them the better. The Apple deal negating yes network was a real blessing for this team. Let’s move onto WP and no longer be the red headed stepchild of NYC major league sports.

Randy trying to push his own self interest. Even as a die hard Yankee fan, the sooner we get away from them the better. The Apple deal negating yes network was a real blessing for this team. Let’s move onto WP and no longer be the red headed stepchild of NYC major league sports.

Agree wholeheartedly about Randy, but not about YES. We were on the biggest sports network in NYC, we were being promoted every single day on the broadcasts of a team that averaged 400,000 viewers per game -- and sometimes way more than that. NYCFC was being exposed to far more eyeballs on YES than had we been on any other network, and certainly more eyeballs than are watching Apple TV at any given time.

Reactions: Vallos and Fake Jew
Agree wholeheartedly about Randy, but not about YES. We were on the biggest sports network in NYC, we were being promoted every single day on the broadcasts of a team that averaged 400,000 viewers per game -- and sometimes way more than that. NYCFC was being exposed to far more eyeballs on YES than had we been on any other network, and certainly more eyeballs than are watching Apple TV at any given time.
But most our games were pushed to YES2 (a station most of us don’t even have) and were only available on the steaming app. I wonder how many eyeballs saw that? Preseason games were a joke with an iphone left on a tripod by the team as a favor to us super fans who logged onto the zoom link they gave us. The closest we got to a pregame was crooks on a Facebook stream. I’d rather be marketed properly, even if it’s part of the larger league and less individually with two parties (MLS & Apple) who’s interests are aligned in growing the game and getting as much content to the fans as possible.

But most our games were pushed to YES2 (a station most of us don’t even have) and were only available on the steaming app. I wonder how many eyeballs saw that? Preseason games were a joke with an iphone left on a tripod by the team as a favor to us super fans who logged onto the zoom link they gave us. The closest we got to a pregame was crooks on a Facebook stream. I’d rather be marketed properly, even if it’s part of the larger league and less individually with two parties (MLS & Apple) who’s interests are aligned in growing the game and getting as much content to the fans as possible.

Anyone who got YES was able to see games on the YES app. It wasn't an extra. And it wasn't most of the games. It was something like 10 games a season. Most games were on regular YES. What did they have, 30 games this year? 18 of them were on regular YES. They even moved Yankees postgames to the App so we could be on YES. This argument really doesn't hold water.

Also, YES did a pregame for the last two or three seasons of their coverage. I really think fans are going to be pining for the quality of YES's coverage when they see the lack of knowledge the Apple announcers have.

Yeah, I remember Levine's "30-60 days" comment. But along the way Sims did say something to the effect "it's close" [New York City FC CEO Brad Sims: "Significant progress" made in stadium project | MLSSoccer.com], which is something I don't think he's going to stick his neck out on again unless it's a lot closer. As in, it's going to be right goddamn here. LOL

You're absolutely right though, he never made a specific announcement about GAL (and I never said he did). But it was pretty clear he thought that was a done deal. It's one of the reasons I'm harboring such a grudge against the Yankees after spending so many years backing them -- at the very least, they hung us out to dry.

At worst, it was a straight-up double-cross.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and adam
It all makes me wonder, if some beloved (or unknown) wealthy NYer stepped in to buy into the team, would you rather they buy out the Yankees or CFG?

It all makes me wonder, if some beloved (or unknown) wealthy NYer stepped in to buy into the team, would you rather they buy out the Yankees or CFG?

I can't think of a reason any fan would want the Yankees around. Outside of leasing a sports venue to fill their own pockets, the Yankees' biggest impact on the club has been impeding progress in getting a stadium, forcing game broadcasts onto a mobile app, corrupting Ian Joy, ridiculous parking costs, and price gouging on sub-par beer selections.

Maybe we can give them credit for the MNR stop by the stadium?

Give me the new Mets people and Citi Field as primary venue next season, temp venue in parking lot for '24 and new stadium on the chop shop ground when possible!

I can't think of a reason any fan would want the Yankees around. Outside of leasing a sports venue to fill their own pockets, the Yankees' biggest impact on the club has been impeding progress in getting a stadium, forcing game broadcasts onto a mobile app, corrupting Ian Joy, ridiculous parking costs, and price gouging on sub-par beer selections.

Maybe we can give them credit for the MNR stop by the stadium?
This.

Legends hospitality is, by itself, a huge reason to hope we get away from the Yankees once we build a stadium.

Anyone who got YES was able to see games on the YES app. It wasn't an extra. And it wasn't most of the games. It was something like 10 games a season. Most games were on regular YES. What did they have, 30 games this year? 18 of them were on regular YES. They even moved Yankees postgames to the App so we could be on YES. This argument really doesn't hold water.

Also, YES did a pregame for the last two or three seasons of their coverage. I really think fans are going to be pining for the quality of YES's coverage when they see the lack of knowledge the Apple announcers have.
Just because YES subscribers had access to the app, how many actually used it, or were on it regularly? I doubt it’s the 400k you quoted. They for sure were not just browsing on it to find the NYCFC match and catch their attention. “The number of Apple TV+ paid subscribers amounted to an estimated 25 million as of March 2022.” I’d much rather 25 million people who log on regularly to see shows like Bad Sisters or Ted Lasso get a notice on the screen they can click to MLS matches and we find new fans that way.

33% of matches not shown on the actually YES network is not something I’d argue as a positive. I’ll also be fair and admit the did show some preseason matches in last couple seasons, along with finally getting a pre-game show. But it took waaaaaay too long. Which furthers my argument that NYCFC barely makes their content radar. Apple TV spent a lot of $ on the MLS rights, and they want a foothold in the streaming sports market. They have lots of incentive to push this and so does MLS who will be in charge of creating the content.

But my main point, and why it’s in the stadium thread, is if we move to WP it cuts our last ties with the Yankees, who have been a piss poor partner for this team. Maybe they finally choose to sell back their 10% stake, maybe they keep it as an investment. Either way, they won’t have any say anymore in how the team is both broadcast & marketed and where/when they play. And that’s a huge win for this franchise.