Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So slightly off-topic with the exception of focusing on our almighty and incompetent Mayor....

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/31/n...developer-raises-questions-for-city.html?_r=0

The sale illustrates his hypocrisy and I can only imagine what it's like for CFG to deal with City Hall. I definitely don't want to fleece the City to get the stadium built, but if DeBlasio is willing to change a Non-profit's deed for $16mil that is then flipped for over $100M (outright incompetence on City Hall's part), why is he being so obtuse with facilitating a stadium???
Probably didn't use the right grease on his palms yet. I can see the sheik sending a briefcase of 60mm dirhams to his office and diblasio saying I don't accept monopoly money. The shiek's agent not understanding his reference considers him to be an unbribeable government official and is afraid to negotiate a better bribe. Its merely a cultural faux pas that's holding the stadium up.

Reactions: Lasker
I'm increasingly convinced that part of our struggles have to do with the pitch. Not an excuse - you can just tell there isn't any room to operate.

This article makes the mayor sound like an angry dad who just found out his son sold his autographed Mickey Mantle baseball. "DAG NAB IT JIMMY!"
DeBlasio is unethical and a crook. His excuse for the Brooklyn/Queens 3rd Pipe/Aquaduct fiasco was that his subordinates did a bad job explaining the situation, and with the sale of this building, he claims they were lied to (by a large campaign contributor to him & a legal document).

The struggle is they want this to be the premier soccer stadium in America...to be one of the greats in the world. They are creating a brand. Foreign investors don't care about the Bronx or Queens....they want Manhattan. They'll spend the money. It's a huge uphill battle and may take a decent amount of time...but it'll be worth it for the brand.

The struggle is they want this to be the premier soccer stadium in America...to be one of the greats in the world. They are creating a brand. Foreign investors don't care about the Bronx or Queens....they want Manhattan. They'll spend the money. It's a huge uphill battle and may take a decent amount of time...but it'll be worth it for the brand.
hey now! Queens is the new brooklyn, and brooklyn is heavily marketable outside the US.

Hey guys, The Toe liked this post! Manhattan stadium confirmed!

I'm increasingly convinced that part of our struggles have to do with the pitch. Not an excuse - you can just tell there isn't any room to operate.

Listening to the MLS podcast today, two guys from the Chicago Fire were asked what it was like to play on the YS pitch. They basically said its so narrow that you have to play more direct as there's not enough room to play a possession-based game. Which is of course what PV wants to play. Not saying it's a complete correlation (and that NYCFC would be undefeated playing at StubHub - which is a very wide field), but the eye test seems to say the same.

When we play at YS, I'm pretty sure the other team is also playing at YS. In 4 home games we have failed to score on the SS (non-infield-garbage) side of the field. Our opponents have done better. Our shitty field should be an advantage to us as the team that is used to playing on its shittiness.

Its not the playing surface that bothers me but the dimensions of the field.

Its far too narrow to play the possession type game that Kreis employed and Viera as well.

Even Barcelona would struggle playing there

Its far too narrow to play the possession type game that Kreis employed and Viera as well.

That I'll buy. And in turn put on the coach's shoulders. If the pitch doesn't allow that game, stop trying to play it. Can't remember who suggested but somewhere there was a comment to platoon Lampard/Pirlo home/away. Lampard in for more direct game and smaller pitch with less running required. Pirlo in for wider spaces with more long distance passing possibilities.

That I'll buy. And in turn put on the coach's shoulders. If the pitch doesn't allow that game, stop trying to play it. Can't remember who suggested but somewhere there was a comment to platoon Lampard/Pirlo home/away. Lampard in for more direct game and smaller pitch with less running required. Pirlo in for wider spaces with more long distance passing possibilities.
That's a pretty good idea, but required only because Vieira doesn't have the players he wants for his system.

Right now he needs to realize that, we have Taylor and Shelton on the wings and then who else? Mendoza and Mullins who have played primarily in the middle or as a lone striker. We have no depth, and Vieira needs to understand that and adjust his tactics accordingly, maybe play a 4-4-2 as a result and when we get the players needed for a 4-3-3 we shift it. I think Harrison will go a long way to help add depth.

Barcelona would simply have only 8 field players start to cut down on the congestion and open up space.

[I've often thought we should have 2 guys every game designated as Hockey enforcers that permanently take out two of the opposing players after all of their subs have been used (DeJong would've been perfect for this role). Then as a 8v8 setup, NYCFC has the space to pass like we want to. I kid, I kid.....]

Reactions: Kjbert

Remember when Vieira came in and said "football is football anywhere in the world," or something to that effect? I think/hope he might be realizing that isn't quite the case, or that it's more nuanced than that.

Our field, of course, being a huge factor. But also league differences. In MLS, possession doesn't matter much: http://www.brotherlygame.com/2016/1/26/10753408/mls-top-league-in-the-world-don-garber-possession

Sounds like a fine strategy, but there's one slight flaw. You actually need Lampard ON THE TEAM to make it work.

Our best direct player is Kwadwo Poku and he's played about 100 minutes this year.